Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1k Cb kitty build

13K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  eatabullet 
#1 ·
Here's my entry to the 1k build off:

'72 cb 350 as she sits

date yo

and parts, the stock front end is in the garage.

motor is in the back of my truck still.

plans are kick only, battery elimination, headlight/taillight, suspension from my old katana.

so this front end

this rear end

i also have a spare kat frame to help mockup the new upper shock mount

and my kat fighter will hopefully be getting this rear end

total cost so far $300 for the cb. suspension i had, so $0. it'll need new carbs, so i plan on $370 for those. gonna sell the old cb suspension, wheels, fenders, filter covers, etc.

See less See more
#2 ·
so for the front swap. i ordered new seals, and bearings from allballs

new upper race in. it sticks out a tad more than the stock.

only by 8mm or so. btw the katana upper dust seal covers it completely, so i'm not worried.

also ordered a new lower bearing (the stock cb has individual ball bearings, which fell out and disapeared forever)
the kat stem is perfect too, no shimming or spacers needed.

need to take the ass off my fighter next to swap onto this beast. hopefully i'll have a roller tomorrow.

#4 ·
First oopsie. Last year I ground the brake line tabs off the fork lowers. I'll have to figure something out.

I can't post pics because the photobucket mobile app is retarded. But i'll do it later from the pc.

The Kat swingarm is wider then the cb, so the subframe down tubes will be getting cut and widened. The Kat swinger doesn't have enough material to shave off.

Need to locate center and cut a chunk outta the Kat pivot tube. (Hope I don't fuck it up)

#5 ·
here's the top of the stem close up. the suzi dust seal covers the 8mm stickup.

and the missing tabs on the lowers

and i have the rear swingarm marked, and ready to chop tomorrow

the cb swinger has a gap of 112mm, so i'm cutting the kat at 120mm, the excess will be taken up by some bushings. the bushings are neccessary since the swinger will be rubbing on the insides now. (pics tomorrow will explain better)

also the kat rear tire is centered in relation to the kat pivot tube, the cb has a 3mm offset to the right. Justin has confirmed that the 3mm difference won't be noticeable.

#7 ·
Chopped the pivot tube, punched out the old bearings

Mocked with the old bolt

Bought a half inch bolt with a slew of half inch washers and fender washers to better hold it in place

And now the fun bit. Locating mounts for the linkage and shock. Which will undoubtedly require grinding the stamped seam on the cb backbone and welding it back up.

So far not too difficult.

#14 ·
If you scrapped the linkage (and all of it's mechanical advantage) wouldn't the spring rate of that shock be super stiff? How does the Cb compare in weight to the Kat? the mono setup came off of?

Anway,the linkage that goes along with a mono is part of what makes a mono...a mono. Limited shock travel=good. Plus it looks cool as shit. I'm sure you'll get it figured out.

Diggin' it so far. Sub'd fo sho....

#18 ·
Lots of things will be changed if you change anything at all.

Depends also on how far front and back you put the top mount, how much travel you need (not so much on a light bike?)

Might be easier to copy the original setup but more elegant (to me) and fewer moving parts with direct link.

Reactions: oldrider
#22 ·
I think it would look awkward and be uncomfortable

#25 ·
the problem i'm expecting to encouter is kickstart clearance. I was planning on cafe pegs like these:

but the kat swingarm is wider, so i'd have to mount them further out, which will cause the kicker to hit the brake. mid controls may be better

i was really looking at truckers savage, but I'd have to drop the seat on this one to get the same position

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.