Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Denver's KZ750 "The Shitmobile" build thread

7K views 15 replies 1 participant last post by  Denver 
#1 ·
So since my last little excursion I've moved and put together this little shop sort of thing to work in

here's how this bike is sitting now:

pieces of the puzzle are slowly coming in....

tune in next payday lol

See less See more
#2 ·
should have mentioned, I picked this up on ebay, it's in the mail... gonna be like a kid on christmas
gonna cut off the dual shock mounts and have a single mount for the rear shock welded to that crossbrace

ZRX swingarm:

Endo was so kind as to ship me some forks last week, those should be in soon as well

Also got my tire situation un-situation'd - gonna try to get these mounted on the same old RC51 + 900RR wheels this week some time

#6 ·
god damn mother fucker

mail man was good to me today

It's not fitted with the proper bearings, just bolted in place for now. Everything is a mockup so far.

I met a real nice old frenchman who lives down the road from me, he's got a big hobby machine shop at his farm, for a small fee he offered to do any lathe work i need for this project... woohoo... my swingarm pivot bushings should be done soon.

and I have this headlight laying around that I am going to use... it's a headlight for a Miata. A couple years ago a member here bought a pair and sent the other one to me. The name escapes me now... but whoever that was, thank you again.. I just need to find a bucket to put this in.

#10 · (Edited)
can't wait to paint that silly tank
So I did just that today... I didn't get any pics of the body work but it was nothing exciting.

Ended up with a nice gloss, just used spray cans. I ended up with a bunch of drips in my clearcoat the first time around. I blame the round spray pattern on the first brand of clear I bought. I sanded the whole thing down with 1000 grit and then cleaned it up and sprayed it again with a different clear with a fan tip. Worked brilliant

I also covered a seat today for the first time in my life. I like the way it turned out. I bought a $25 seat cover from Canadian Tire and stretched it over my seat. hair dryer, some spray glue and clamps, and in about an hour I was able to fix it up

I'm still working on the tail bodywork. I had to refiberglass some of it because the tail had been cracked and split. that should be the next thing I get done.

#11 ·
Almost finished smoothing out the tail piece, tomorrow night it should be painted to match the tank. i gotta say I love the stance this bike has. it's the perfect height, sitting on it feels right and the seat is no where near as uncomfortable as i thought it would be.

#12 ·
Got a little work done this weekend

Finished up the tail piece

Then I took the whole bike apart

Painted the motor with a couple fresh coats of hitemp paint

And then went over the frame a couple times since I've been banging and bonking and fucking the paint all up since I last painted it

And the subframe:

Fresh looking parts patiently waiting to be reunited :D

I've been looking for a deal on a set of VM26 carbs for this build with little luck so far... so I've decided to use the perfectly good CV carbs I have here... the problem I was having before was that I was missing 2 of the carb boots... I ended up getting a set on ebay for cheap and they're on the way.

The hunt for the exhaust continues...

#13 ·
I forgot to mention I splooged on some gold anodized bolts for the side covers and rocker cover... hope it works out and doesn't look tacky as I feel kind of silly for impulse buying them lol...

stock image for those who don't read half the time unless the picture interests them

#14 ·
Today's been a pretty big good day.

I started by putting the engine back in the frame, and checking out how the painted parts look... pretty nice?

Then I started on the wiring with the IC ign. and coils up front... they're mounted kind of fucky but the tank slides perfectly over the coils and everything's pretty solid.

I had a big roll of heat shrink tubing so I decided to use it as loom for the wires... I like it a lot.

Then I did the reg/rec and mounted it to the battery box, started making battery cables, hooked up the starter and solenoid... I put the starter solenoid in an unusual spot but i think it will work out good there. Looking at the bike from the side you shouldn't see any wires, and unless you're looking up from the ground you shouldn't see many around... I'm trying to keep the wiring clean and for the most part it all tucks under the seat, tank, and tail nicely :)

I have to get some more supplies before I can keep going on the wiring but I have a few more things to tinker with today.

Post up in the discussion thread if you like what's going on here or have any questions / suggestions :D

#15 · (Edited)
Got a bit done this morning.

Got my carb boots so I put those on. I only have about 2" of clearance for filters with these ... any ideas?

Also sorted out my rearsets and offset the linkage a bit with a bushing because it was touching the shifty toe peg.

USPS shows that my bolts were processed at customs on Friday, so hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday I can seal the covers , put the oil back in and make sure it turns over like it's supposed to...

maybe give it a thimble of gas and momentarily blast some fire out of the open exhaust ports, to make sure the killswitch works hahaha :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.