Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

CB1100F- Poor man's CBX

35K views 287 replies 37 participants last post by  shinyribs 
#1 ·
Well, I bought something I thought I'd never own. If you don't already know, I love CB's. Particularly, the twin cam F's. I'm pretty sure owning a CBX will never be in the cards for me, but I'm extremely happy to have picked up one of the ''Big CB's". SO happy.

It has the wrong shocks out back and both side covers are gone. But, all the brakes are up and working, ''was running when parked'', and the tank and title are clean. I'm happy. Oh, and it came with a full Yoshimura exhaust. :thumbsup: I'm happy

This ''build'' will be a long way off,but I just had to share. I know this is old,unimpressive technology,but I just love the second generation F's. And I'm happy.

I'm not crazy about the anti-dive forks,but I don't really have any plans for suspension swaps for this bike. I thought about a full front and rear swap to F3 bits and 6 spoke 17's, but I'm not sold on the idea yet. Especially regarding going monoshock. I just dig what these bikes are as-is. I'll source some proper shocks for out back,of course. It has superbike bars on it now. I'm gonna keep my eyes out for a set of the original adjustable bars that should be on here. (Wish me luck. :D ) I really only plan to put this thing back like it should be. New rubber bits throughout, chain and sprockets and a repaint to all of it's dated original glory. Like I said,this is a long way from getting put back together...and that's killing me! I know if I crammed I could probably have this thing rockin' before this riding season is gone, but I need to get rid of some other projects first. Still,I'm happy.

Im in this bike cheap,too. Fresh tires and chain/sprockets will cost more than I paid for it. ;) Did I mention I'm happy? I am happy. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome bike one day I want build a cb or zrx like that.

#9 ·
LOL. Are the rotors really so small? Maybe that 19" rim just dwarfs them ;)

Rat, you said it best. That's exactly how I feel about this bike. No, I've never ridden one, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

MistaM, thanks. And yeah, I got lucky. The guy has another one for sale. I'm trying hard not to buy its twin. I'm supposed to be building a house. :D

#7 ·
That is an awesome score, I wish I would have kept mine! Just wondering, have you ridden a 1100F? Stock vs stock, the CBX will be left for dead by one in any drag race I can imagine as the CBX clutch will not tolerate the abuse the 1100F will. At 110hp and 70lbft stock the 1100's are one of the meanest machines I've ever seen from the era too. Totally under rated and far beyond overlooked by most.

Stuff that 1100 engine into a 750F frame and scare the hell out of every sportbike you come across. :D

#12 ·
The other bike is also titled and has it's original shocks(jealous),but the fork tubes are possibly not saveable. I could've got the pair for $900,but I just snagged this one. For some reason he was real proud of the other one.

But,after hearing me talk about mine endlessly, a buddy here ended up snagging the other one today. :thumbsup: He's famous for buying stuff, sticking it in a corner, eventually losing interest and blowing it out cheap. So I'll just sit back and chill for now. lol

#13 ·
Just the engines alone in them are worth $1,000 or more even in non running condition as long as they are not physically damaged beyond repair. Titled frames are worth a boat load as well without damage or modification. You could get the second one, build a decent half original half custom bike out of the two and part out the rest for 3 times the total invested. ;)

It does sound like alot of work, but the money is good in the 1100F market.

#14 ·
Sweet bike. Those 1100s are super cool. If you ever need any specific info on that beast, check out cb1100f.net. Great web site.:D

Reactions: ROBBO and Davey t
#15 ·
Happy happy, joy joy mother fucker! :D

#16 ·
Lost the ebay auction for the original bars. Kinda bummed. But I'm cheap,so I can't really complain.

I have a '98 CBR600 that I cant get my hands on cheap. Like, complete and titled but needs paint for about $900.Tires are even fresh. I have no idea what kind of money I could recover parts out that bike(titled frame,running engine...),but I'm kinda tempted.

F3 suspension would work sweet on this bike. The front end is nearly a bolt on-stem swap with no adapting needed. Swapping the back out to the F3 mono setup would be fun,but those rear shock really lay down pretty flat. Kinda takes a lot of real estate to recreate factory geometry.

That would give me pretty nice brakes,suspension and 17'' rims. Right now my tire choices are kinda limited with the 18'' front and 17'' rear that's on there. But dang, a good set of original rear shocks is gonna run me close to $300 likely!

Tough call: leave it stock and enjoy it for what it is or jazz it up with some good,solid under pinnings? What would you do?

#17 ·
F3 parts all day long. No other way about it! Hell, I'll send you a 900RR rear wheel for the price of shipping if you go the F3 route! All you would need is a VF500F cush drive and the 900RR wheel would bolt into the F3 swinger, (I'll even send the brake to be sure!).

Do Work! :thumbsup:

(180/120 tires look the business on the 1100F too!)

And... Zed ran dual shocks on a F3 swingarm too, just weld up the mounts! Even ran clevis type mounts too! :D

#18 ·
Please please please run the F3 components with dual shocks! They look so damn sharp. I'm really stoked to see where this build goes dude.

#26 ·
Soory to thread jack but do you think the vf500f cush would work in in the hornet wheel im running with a heavily modified cush in a cbr swinger i have thesame problem I need to get the chain run closer to the rim?
ps its a jmc swinger made for a cbr!

#27 ·
Looking at a picture of the hornet cush drive it looks identical and they are not that terribly expensive and easy to sell if it doesn't work. It might be worth testing as most Honda 17's of that era seem to share identical cush drive design at the hub side, but vastly different chain position (500F closest to the rim, 900RR furthest away in my experience) so swapping them around is pretty easy with a bearing/spacer swap.

#30 ·
Gotcha. Thanks man.

I measured a set of F3 600 forks vs F3 1000 forks. 1000's are same length as my stock 1100 legs, the 600's are 1.5" shorter.

I know from experience that 600's and 1000's share the same trees and fork spacing. So it looked like I just need to keep an eye out for CBR1000 legs. :)

#34 ·
Man,that bike looks tough. I hate to say it,but I can't see that bike working. Doesn't seem possible for that front tire to stay out of the headers. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I keep thinking about F2-3 suspension for this bike. Meh...I dunno. The part of me that wants to take this bike on long distance camping trips really wants the modern bits and readily available tire sizes. But one part of me feels this bike deserves some respect.

I mean, this was a one year only model. The only thing I'm missing is rear shocks. Seems wrong to NOT put the bike like it was originally. Heck,it made it this far (basically) in one piece. Kinda just seems right to keep it together. Honestly, a chain,fresh tires and maybe a few seal and this bike will be rideable. That would put me in the saddle of a CB1100F for under a grand. Also gives me a decent profit margin if I decide to sell it oneday(gasp!). What would a F2-3 sprung version of this bike fetch? Far less,I'm guessing. Hmm..spend more money to make it worth less?

I know a frontend/s-arm swap is not irreversible modifcations,but when is the last time you saw an original CB1100F rocking down the highway?

Maybe I'll just use my money to hop up the motah instead? ;) I dunno. I'm still on the fence. But I'm still keeping an eye out for deal on forks,too. Time will tell...

#35 ·
Found a pair of side covers for this thing. One has a crack, but it's not missing any material and all the mounting tabs are healthy. $45 to my door. :)

I've collected a few F3 bits and pieces and I maaay have something cool coming for out back. We'll see...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.