Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

2007 Gixxer 1000 Build

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Gixxer Jon 
#1 ·
This is my official build thread for my Gixxer K7. On October 18, 2009 I did something stupid and wrecked my bike. The frame was damaged on a fairing mounting tab toward the front. My goal is to repair the frame and rebuild this beast into a fire-breathing streetfighter. This is the bike before the wreck:

And here's what it looks like now:

I'll be keeping stock plastics on the tail because I really enjoy riding with my girlfriend and don't want to lose that by bobbing it (which was my first thought). The bike will be gloss and matte black and I plan (although this may be too lofty for me) to add a round gauge cluster and integrate it into the plastic gas tank cover. It will have dual headlights and I may leave off the belly pan unless I can find one that I really, really like. New levers, rearsets, chain and sprockets will be necessary.

I don't think this thread will really take off until around tax time, but I tore it down to the frame today and wanted to start documenting my project. Cross your fingers for me - this is my first ever build!

See less See more
#11 ·
Did some work this weekend, just to try and get the bike street-worthy as quickly as possible. I got my radiator off of eBay and it's solid, no leaks. Due to shortage of funds, I just mounted the stock headlight and taillight. I learned a lot about the bike while putting it back together. I think I understand this machine more now than I ever would have had I not wrecked it.

Outstanding items:
  • Shifter-side rearset and bracket are both bent so the shift rod is scraping the frame. That needs to be replaced.
  • I have no levers yet. They've been ordered and will hopefully be on their way soon!
  • The headlight will be replaced with two 4" rounds.
  • The dash may (hopefully) be replaced by an Acewell 4000-series cluster which I will mount in the plastic tank cover.
  • Eventually I want to have the frame and swingarm coated in spray-on bedliner, but I'm still doing research on that (weight, rigidity, cost).
  • I plan to replace the stock clip-ons with Woodcrafts when I have the funds. I'd like more adjustability and the ability to remove the clip-ons without removing the top triple.
  • Tail plastics.
  • Re-cover the passenger seat, to include an embroidered logo. I have an inside connection for this one. :D
  • Paint. All matte black.

#14 ·
I just got my new tail plastics in from Hong Kong. They cost me $111 and fit much, much better than I expected! This bike is coming together well, considering I have a lack of funds to finish it at the moment. Oh, and it's possible that my forks are tweaked because the front end doesn't feel exactly right. It rides well, but there's vibration and the preload feels messed up even though I never adjusted it. Anyway, here are the new plastics:

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.