Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
14K views 64 replies 16 participants last post by  Rwgoldsmth 
#1 ·
hey guys
here is my project
I have a 86 honda goldwing that i got for free- title and such
i was just going to polish it up and sell it but i found a sidecar body cheap and i got a crazy idea.
i know this is custom fighters so goldwings and sidecars dont mix with fighters but you guys are super resource full so i figured i would post it here.

I referee roller derby and since it is a small but exploding sport i end up driving long distances to get to games. i hate cars so i would rather take a bike but there is alot of crap to carry esp if my wife is playing in the game. so i want a bike that can haul all of our crap and serve as an ambulace to take her home after she breaks herself.

About a year ago i stumbled across a leaning sidecar arrangement where the bike leans independent of the hack this is the arrangement i am going for with this build.

so here are a few blury pics as right now i have just stripped a couple hundred pounds of plastic off the bike and extra metal. last pic is of the tub i picked up for 300 bucks

I hope the pics work i'm new at this forum thing.

See less See more
#27 ·
Sorry for the small pictures I don't feel like doing this from a pc maybe later I will photo bucket these
Sorry for the lack of work. It's been a cluster at work and I had lost some of the vision for this. I still have no idea what I'm going to do for the tank. And I've been getting frustrated lately.

I managed to get to some of the frame bits so far.

Pipe Auto part

Rear is nice and tight to the engine when I strip the frame I will be making a stronger mount
Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Tire Floor

Tire Auto part Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle

Ill be cutting off the front and hopefully there will be enough space to get the filter off without taking this frame off.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#30 ·
Thanks mista I think in going to go with a trailer tyre I put the stock front wheel against the tub at operating height and the tyre comes up 2-3 inches over the side of the tub I can see a new rider having their arms over the side and getting it bashed into their arm. Also I can get a narrower trailer tyre which will help keep the whole thing narrower overall.

I can also get spares at just about any Walmart and menards ect so I won't have to rely on custom machined parts when I'm on long trips.

I may change my mind in the future I figure I can get rolling this way and mod later

Thanks for the offer though ill send rep when I get home tonight

Rw

#31 ·
Vehicle

New toy should make things quicker tired of hacksaws and cut off wheels for precise cuts
Updates soon
Rw

#34 ·
Vehicle door Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Hand

Made use of the new saw and cut out the brackets for the front subframe 3 more to go
These will get welded to the frame and braced together.
Then a cross bar will go in to which I will mount the front heim joint
Hoping to get all that today though cutting out the one bracket took forever. Still better than doing it by hand
Rw

#36 ·
Rust

All cut out took about 40 min each it's a nice day I'm going for a ride

Good luck with the goldwing these things look pretty cool stripped down plan on making a new faux tank if you go with a 1200 and up
Rw

#37 ·
Well I ended up scrapping all that. It would have been bulky and require a lot of welding. Something I haven't mastered as well as I would want for a part like that.
I saw another build on here making a hub steer f/e and inspired a new design that will be much simpler to make should be much stronger. And the only welding should be on the crossbar.
Basically ill be cutting out a 1/4 steel plate. Bolting it on to the front motor mounts. Then carve out a beefy u clamp out of some steel square stock that I got. Then weld on the crossbar. The pic should explain a bit better.
Text Drawing Pattern Line Font

#38 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Fuel tank Motorcycle accessories

Small update. I spent alot of time dicking with foam until icame across this for 3 bux gl1100 peice doesn't fit worth a damn but I think mod it a bit.
It's going to come down about 2 inches and forward as far as I can go

#40 ·
Half the tank in situ
I'll need to make a new Centre panel and mounting brackets but I like how it looks.
need to figure out how it's going 5 look with the headlight. Might need to go to a round headlight.

#42 ·
Been having a couple off weeks and having pretty bad burnout from working a 9-5 and trying to start my ownbusiness so I decided to play in the garage today.
I figured out that the saddle bag crash bars
are pretty close to the same diameter of the frame and has close to the bend that I want for the tail. So free steel!
Cut the frame nice and even :)

"Adjusting the bend a wee bit"

Seems to suit it

Stole the slugs from the luggage rack fits perfectly.

And there it is held with slugs.

Just need to drill for the plug welds but wifey wants to go for a ride so I'm done for the day.
Rw

#43 ·
Ran into a bit of a problem. Threw the wheel on just for looks and realized how little clearance I have. With my wife and I pushing down on it it hit the tyre.

Looks bad ass tho
solution? Hack the frame more!!!!!

#45 ·
Yeaaahhhh.....no this is gonna pull a hack and I actually ride more than around the block and too the bar. my wife and I stared at it for a while and we settled on longer shocks that actually work.combined we weigh 240 pounds so we shouldn't be able to bottom it out.
wooo more $$$$.

#46 ·
Ran into a small issue.

I forgot just how much this fuel tank sticks up. The fuel tank and the false tank want to share the same square Without having the proper feat.
I think I'm going to kill two birds with one stone and cut the top of the fuel tank off and put a flat sheet with flush filler cap.

But got the rear hoop welded on

#47 ·
Hey guys!
It’s been a bit but I’ve got my old Shanghai tool company packed with this project and ready to drag it out to Montana. Let’s see if this pos trailer makes it.
I’ll do a update with the goings on when I get back. I’ve got a lot of butchery to fix and parts to find. It’s been five years and I was in a hurry when I packed this so it’s all just crammed into boxes and I don’t remember anything.
So I’ll talk to you guys next week.

Attachments

#51 ·
Well we made it, my old trailer was just fine cruising at 80. I haven't done forums in ages so this may take a couple of tries on the old pc.
Got the wee little bike unloaded and here is where it sits.

Originally I was going to sketch out my plan for this build but it was my nan's funeral on monday and I had to watch the thing on my computer instead of being there in person. I decided I would just do something, so I whipped out the trusty grinder and started removing all the extra tabs and shit around the frame.

Some of the hurdles that I need to cross are finding parts. I left in a hurry and parts got placed in "safe places that I'll totally remember". Big on the notoriously missing list are the axles and spacers.

A lot of things have changed on what I want to do with this project in the last couple years. I have had a lot of time to ponder. The main thing is that I am no longer making this a leaner hack. As cool as that would be, I plan to do my fair share of dirt roads and camping with this rig as well as some winter riding.
I'm planning on a more of a prewar bobber feel.
Small budget but I intend to peck away at it and I am not in any rush. As long as its moving forward then I will be happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.