Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

gsterley's 02 GSXR 750

12K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  rdannar 
#1 ·

I just got my bike shipped to Florida from where i used to live in Ohio. I rarely rode it, hence only 4500 miles on the thing. Anyways, I have been looking for a new project and I am dying to separate myself from the huge crowd of cookie cutter sport bikes down here. So...I've decided to go nakkid and turn my virgin 750 into a streetfighter.

SO..I stripped her naked today to get a good look at what was hiding under all that plastic.

And so here we are. She dosent look half bad undressed. I made it rideable because its crazy nice right now and I would hate for her not be ridden in the mean time.

But I am going to re-route all the visible wires and fuse box tomorrow and order myself a new headlight and bracket. Plus the coolant overflow tank needs needs to be replaced and moved. I am new to this, this will be my first fighter, so any advice or help you all can offer would be great.

See less See more
#3 ·
WELCOME TO THE SITE GSTERLEY!

and welcome to the darkside! :fire:

your headed in the right direction. just concentrate on cleaning up your front end.

what are you thinking of for your headlight?? are you keeping the clipons or gettin some upright bars?? bike is nice and clean. it shouldnt be hard to make a nice fighter out of her. i would consider painting the front fender a lighter color for balance.

:D

#5 ·
csimp3 said:
here, this thread was posted here a while ago, but i put up some pics of how i was able to extend and hide my wires, maybe this will help
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1434
Awesome thread, that is exactly what i did with my wires (ran them all along the right side of the airbox). I managed to get my fuse box on the other side of my frame without cutting it off though (used the spot by the radiator hose and pulled everything I could off the box). and I the only wire i needed to lengthen was the horn. Ill post some pics tomorrow.

What did you do, if anything about protecting the wires from the engine heat? I was a bit concerned about that. I have a pad of aluminum under the bulk of it until i get some heat resistant silver blanket type stuff.

#6 ·
929_adam said:
WELCOME TO THE SITE GSTERLEY!

and welcome to the darkside! :fire:

your headed in the right direction. just concentrate on cleaning up your front end.

what are you thinking of for your headlight?? are you keeping the clipons or gettin some upright bars?? bike is nice and clean. it shouldnt be hard to make a nice fighter out of her. i would consider painting the front fender a lighter color for balance.

:D
I am pretty set on the aztec duals (see pic below), nice price, comes with brackets...

I will be using my clip-ons for now, but the idea of higher more comfortable bars is something I love. My GSXR isnt exactly comfortable. So, that is on my list of things to do.

Once I get all my cosmetic changes done, at least for the most part, I am going to do paint. But its at the end of a long list right now.

#10 ·
Okay, I re-routed the wires that ran down the left side frame rail as well as the fuse box the other day, here are some pics. tell me what you guys think.

I managed to get the fuse box to the other side of the frame without cutting it off. I used the little hole that the radiator hose goes through. It barley fit, I had to pull all the fuses out and cut off the hinge on the lid of the fuse box, but it fit, and saved me quite a bit of soldering.

I bunched the wires together and re-connected all the plugs and mocked everything up to make sure it fit.

I saw that the wires were resting on the top of the valve cover and I was Concerned about the amount of heat the wires and harnesses would be enduring.

So I bought this from Auto-Zone

I doubled it over a few times and made a pad that sat atop the valve cover to insulate the wires from the heat.

I finished wrapping the wires with some electrical tape after i got them in the right shape to fit in the space nicely. Here is what it looked like when i was done.

and here is where the wires came out from under the tank after it was closed.

And here she is all buttoned up! much cleaner looking than before.

#14 ·
Well my exhaust seems a bit quiet for my liking so I wanted to remove the baffles. I've seen a lot of shorty cans out there and I kind of liked the way they look, so I figured I would cut mine down some while making it louder at the same time.

Remember.....Safety First!

Here is the can as it was:

I drilled out all the rivets:

I found out that the baffle was welded into the perforated center tubes of the can. Oh well...thats why God make the hack saw and dremel.

I decided to take 3" off of the can...I decided on 3 because it would but the hanger strap right up against the Yoshi badge.

Here it is all put back together 3" shorter.

Its not as dramatic as most that I have seen, but I think it looks sweet. Its also noticeably louder. Its raining now so we will see how much louder tomorrow when i get a chance to do a proper test ride. Ill also post some better pics of the finished can.

#20 ·
mrbodydrop said:
Welcome to the site! I have 2 gixxer stunter/fighters that I need to do all this to! Thanks for the pics to guide me in the right direction!!!

No problem, but PLEASE for your sake cover yourself when working with that packing in the can.......two showers later and i can still feel it itching me.

#21 ·
So I have these bars off of my roomates SV650 that we removed when we installed clip-ons on his bike. Would there be anything wrong or unsafe about me tapping holes into my top triple and mounting them on my GSXR?

Moto psycho makes a product that does just what I am thinking about doing. The only difference I can see is that little support plate they provide you with, but I can fab one if it is that necessary. What do you guys think?

heres the link to theirs:
http://www.motocyco.biz/handlebar_kit1.htm

#22 ·
Hmmm what a wimp, you should hacked off at least half of that pipe mate :)

#24 ·
Nothing wrong with mounting those bars, in fact, I'd love to have a set of risers like that! I made plates for under my clamp out of aluminum stock using a skilsaw, file, and drill. Visit ProjectDarkside.blogspot.com for a few pics.

#25 ·
If those studs will fit through your triple clamp then go for it. You can make a plate for the other side. You can just bolt the plate on with the riser studs, you wouldn't have to weld it.

Just make sure you drill at the right spots or your bars are gonne be crooked.

#26 ·
Great! I was hoping for a nice easy solution for my risers. It dosen't get any cheaper or more convenient than free risers in the cupboard. I think I will be installing the risers tonight, Ill post more later, thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.