Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum - View Single Post - Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes
View Single Post
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-25-2019, 11:13 PM   #459
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:36 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

So, it turns the emissions police even got ahold of the XR400's. Apparently the '96-97 models had more aggressive ignition timing than the '98 and on models. Mine is a '98. Seems the went to a different flywheel in '98 that had the ignition relocated to retard timing, and the early CDI boxes had a higher rev limiter along with more timing advance.

I've been contemplating a cam or exhaust work to get more revs out of this bike because it hits a wall pretty hard when you try to wind it out. When I say it hits a wall...it just literally won't turn any faster and always acts like it's loaded up with fuel for a few moments afterwards. Turns out the '98+ CDI's are limited to around 8k rpm whereas the early boxes will take you to 9500!

I'm curious, but not entirely convinced. This thing doesn't feel at all like it's bouncing off a typical rev limiter. It just goes flat. Butmaybe it's just the nature of this system? I dunno, but it's something to explore.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!