Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Is Smoking Permitted?

832K views 3K replies 254 participants last post by  Smoker 
#1 ·
Just found this website and love the bikes and custom mods!

I'm working on a custom streetfighter, but not sure if you guys are into smokers around here.

I would appreciate any advice or tips on modding you guys can provide. I've made a lot of progress, but still have a long way to go.

The bike is a 1985 Yamaha RZ350, but there won't be much left of the original bike left when I'm done.

I'll post some pics of my build to get you guys caught up to where I am now.

See less See more
#27 ·
Got this Ducati Monster headlight on ebay:

I also ordered a headlight bucket that is supposed to be made by a company in Italy that makes CF for GP racing.

I ordered it June 5th, and still haven't heard any news about when/if it might be completed. :hairpull:

#30 ·
I got a pair of these billet bar-end mirrors, but I'm going to try to mount them next to the levers.

The manufacturer stopped using the mirror arms I wanted, but I talked them into making a set for me. I'm using the arms on the right side.

The bar clamp uses a grub screw. I didn't want to bore a hole in the carbon fiber, so I'm cutting the clamps where the red line is. Hopefully, I can get one screw to hold the bar clamp and arm clamp.

#32 ·
Got a tinted windshield and shaved the logos. Also got a CF Monster headlight fairing to go with the fender.

Just got the anodized aluminum screws and rubber trim - haven't installed the trim, yet.

Making custom brackets to mount the fairing isn't going to be fun.

#33 ·
go with the bottom outlet, it looks more clean imho. Also, what site are those headlight mounts from? I like the look
You're right about the look - decision made.

It'll take some time to find the website for the brackets. It's a non-english site in Japan. I'll post up when I find the info.

I've also got some Pro Grip 719 RVGS grips on order which I'm going to try to cut down to fit the smaller throttle.

Also ordered some G2 Ergonomics Billet Bar Ends to finish the grips off.

#35 ·
For the new dash, I got a combo tach & speedo. It has 3 shift lights that can also be used for indicator lights. Also got a matching combo water temp and voltmeter similar to the below gauge.

I got a 12,000 RPM tach with a black face and red lighting - same for the other gauge.

#36 ·
So the gauges arrive, and I open the voltmeter/water temp gauge. The lens looked hazy, so I took it into the sunlight.

I could see that it has some kind of coating or treatment on the inside of the lens, but there were some kind of uneven spots all over, that looked like water spots, also - some of the paint was scuffed, no big deal.

So I opened the tach/speedo to see if the lens was the same. It has the same hazy coating, but no "water spots." But there was some very minor damage to the bezel - the black had been chipped off and silver was showing through, no big deal.

Then I notice that there are small fibers sticking up in front of the LED screen. Well, I'll be looking at those fibers a lot, but okay, no big deal.

So then I notice a yellow blob of glue coming through the hole at the bottom of the red light bulb. Well, it's a small blob, I can live with that, too. But then, what the hell is that?? A black booger on the side of the red bulb!!! Oh, hell no!

I asked SPA Designs if they could please exchange the gauges if I pay the shipping costs, and they sent me two gauges that look absolutely perfect. It took a while since they're in England, but it was worth the wait. I would buy from them again, for sure.

#38 ·
This bike is going to fapable levels...
Thanks!! ( I had to look up "fappable".)

I just put on this anodized aluminum head nut. Now the GSXR washer looks like crap under it.

I'll need to make a custom wider aluminum washer to fit under it. I'll make it as wide as possible, but the nut is close to the edge of the top clamp on the back.

Also thinking of drilling holes in the washer, but it will depend on how much space there is.

Still need to get custom springs made for the forks (the GSXR springs will be too stiff - even with the frame mods) and I'm looking at other fork mods like gold valve emulators - anything that will contribute to a plush but aggressive ride.

Gotta polish those handlebar clamps, too.

I know of a guy online that wrenches for Ohlins at GP events, and I'm going to see if he'll give me any advice on suspension mods and setup.

#39 ·
Here's the swingarm, made to my specs. (Like I know what I'm doing.)

I started with the custom R1 wheel measurements - with the sprocket carrier moved closer to the wheel. That allows more chain to frame clearance - and I didn't want to chop the frame to fit a wide tire.

The RZ uses a centered swingarm, so I got the specs on the R1 swingarm and changed them to remove the offset, and to fit the custom wheel.

I asked for the front section of the swingarm to have OEM RZ fitting for the pivot and links.

Also asked for mega top bracing, eccentric adjusters, 1" longer overall length, polishing, lift spool mounts, and a custom underslung brake caliper mount.

Too bad it doesn't fit! :jpshakehead.sml: NOT FROM MY SPECS - JMC messed up the OEM RZ350 specs.

Ordered the swingarm in January and was told 6-8 weeks. Just received it this month (October) after much aggravation. Still don't have the caliper mount!

I can fix the swingarm problems. No way am I sending it back to the manufacturer - I might never get it back.

It's a very nice swingarm, though - I'll be happy when it's fixed.

#41 ·
dude.... do you sleep?!? I'd rep you again, but I just did like.... yesterday?
rep me again! :party: Whatever that is. (I still have some reading to do.)

Swingarm problem #1 - The cross brace hits the shock. The only way I could mount the arm was to spin the spring so the cross brace goes between the coils.

I don't have welding equipment, so I'll be sending the swingarm out to have some of the brace chopped, sealed, and repolished.

This was totally the fault of JMC - the Ohlins shock fits exactly the same as the OEM shock, and there's plenty of clearance to move the brace back.

#42 ·
Swingarm problem #2 - Can't attach the L-Brackets.

A lot of bikes have "dogbones" that connect the swingarm to a link of some kind, which attaches to the frame. The RZ uses "L-Brackets" which are like a dogbone with a rod on top that goes through the swingarm.

The I.D. of the swingarm is the same where the "L-Brackets attach, but the new arms are so wide, the the rods on the L-Brackets are too short to go through the arms.

I designed threaded bushings to go into the swingarm and seat on the shoulders of the rods. There's not much lateral force on the rods, so big hex nuts that stick out aren't necessary. I put a knurled caps on the end of the bushings which don't stick out so much.

#45 ·
congrats smoker, you just successfully turned a four-stroke convert back to dirty rattly smokers.
christ i miss that rg...
It's a dream of mine to own a tricked-out RG500. Unfortunately, I can't afford the bike projects I already have.

Funny that you said "rattly smokers" - reminds me of a racer doing his version of a "rattlin' two-stroke".

Not all smokers "rattle" - some sound like pure evil. :fire:

#1,217 ·
It's a dream of mine to own a tricked-out RG500. Unfortunately, I can't afford the bike projects I already have.

Funny that you said "rattly smokers" - reminds me of a racer doing his version of a "rattlin' two-stroke".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jki4OQA5D4

Not all smokers "rattle" - some sound like pure evil. :fire:

ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing......burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrap

#46 ·
wouldnt you be able to just flips the bolts around so you dont see the threads sticking out of the nuts?
That's the first thing I thought when I looked at it, too.

But on the other side, the frame has a special cut-out to hold the swingarm pivot bolt head - and since I want those bolts to face the same way - it's a no go.

Besides, I'd still have to deal with the same problem on the other side.

I want to make a rear fender or fender panels out of carbon fiber and mount them so the frame rails are visible. The tape mock-up is to measure clearance for the rear tire. The fender panels (tape) look curved in the photo, but it's 3 flat pieces - or one flat piece with 2 bends.

I must have stared at the bike for over an hour today while I was considering bobbing the tail.

Yes, it would look SICK - but it's not for this bike. This bike has good bodywork, with a semi-rare OEM solo tailpiece. I also have another project bike with crappy bodywork, and the other bike will also look interesting with a bobbed tail because it has 2 down pipes and one up pipe - on the same side.

#47 ·
Measuring for the offset countershaft sprocket:

It's hard to get good chain alignment measurements because the eccentric adjusters don't have any reference marks. I might try to make a template so I can check the position.

Need a 12mm offset sprocket. (I hope! - That's what I ordered.)

Calculating tire clearance.

Talon Engineering is making a custom front sprocket to my specs. Talon also made the rear sprocket that came with the Dymag wheel. I asked Talon to add the same gold coating that is on the rear sprocket, but they didn't say if it's possible.

Also searching for a Ti front sprocket nut.

#48 ·
Considered entering the buildoff?
Well, for this year, it says The official end date of the buildoff is May 15th, 2008.Does that mean I have to apply in January of 2009? Hopefully, I'll have a lot more done by then. Can't guarantee the bike will be finished by May of '09, either.

Decided to chop 1 1/8 inches from the tail to bring the taillight in. The turn signals will have to be relocated so that they are directly below the solo tailpiece hooks.

The frame tubes will have to be cut and rewelded, the OEM turn signal brackets will have to be grinded off the taillight mount, the tool tray will have to be remounted (I may make a billet tray), and a new licence plate mount and turn signal mounts will have to be fabricated. The new turn signal brackets could be mounted with the same 2 bolts as the licence plate bracket.

#49 ·
That sucks about that Powerbronze fender cracking like that? Were they selling it as actual carbon fiber, or black fiberglass CF look?? If it was actual CF, I am pretty sure it would not have cracked like that.
It's actual CF. You can tell by the cross-section of the fender where it snapped.
When it broke, it sounded like a firecracker went off in the garage! :oops: Then it crackled and popped over the next hour while the fibers kept ripping apart as it settled.

After looking at the tail section some more I think it would be better NOT to section the frame, but to try to remove the brackets and just chop 1 1/8 inches off the end of the tubes. Then the brackets would be re-welded in the new location. Hopefully, I can do a clean job.

#58 ·
It's actual CF. You can tell by the cross-section of the fender where it snapped.
When it broke, it sounded like a firecracker went off in the garage! :oops: Then it crackled and popped over the next hour while the fibers kept ripping apart as it settled.
Are you sure.....from this pic here, the fibers look white...meaning its just dyed fiberglass. Actual CF, in my opinion, would not snap that easy, and not look like that once it did break....the fibers would be black.

In either case, its good to know...I will never buy anything from powerbronze.

#50 ·
Those are the rules from last year. This year's build-off starts November 1st.
I'll try to find the new build-off info.
I'm not very good with rules, though. :smiliebiker:

The axle bolts on the eccentric adjusters have been bothering me since I first saw them. I wish they were flush in the adjuster, so I'm going to try some low head cap screws.

Just installed the aluminum sprocket nuts. Still need blue/stainless lift spools, blue tire valve caps and Ti bolts for the cradles and rotor. Got some extra aluminum nuts for the handlebar clamps.

#51 ·

Got the rear billet caliper this month - been waiting almost a YEAR for this! It was supposed to be available in '07, and is in the '07 Brembo Catalog.

Hope I get the mounting bracket soon. Been waiting since January for it. :angry:

These parts are good examples of why I might not be able to follow the time frame of the build-off. I've still got a bunch of custom stuff planned for this bike that you guys haven't seen yet. :D