Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

AMA Vintage races Barber Motorsports park.

1K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  shinyribs 
#1 ·
Hey just ordered "Ace Corner" tickets for the vintage races in October in Alabama.

#4 ·
I'm bringing my father with (77 years young) since he started the motorcycle bug by seating me on his 1973 Yamaha Scrambler 250 & taking me with him when he went trail riding around the house... no trails left in 2018. Shit there weren't very many trails in the 1980's when I got a full sized bike (1981 XT 500 Yamaha).
Have Ace Corner wrist bands. So turn #17 is where we'll camp out. But definitely checking out the museum & swap meet.
Can hardly wait.

#9 ·
Sadly missed Eric at the event. My poor father took a tumble in the parking field across the street... first stop the EMT's at stop #2 inside Barber. Stayed for about 3 hours, my father was in pain & its was freakin hot outside. 93f for October in Alabama is not normal. The time we did have was awesome. Sat under the pine trees on turn #17 at Ace Corner... A couple o shots attached. Hopefully nxt year nothing happens & we can stay longer.
So photo of the Ace Corner Banner , From the front... My Father, My Wife, Great nephews girlfriend, Great Nephew, Niece, Nieces Husband, & Nieces best friend. All had a great time.
And a CBX for Robbo... nice bike, but the seller was delusional IMO... $16K for bike with 41,000+ miles.
Beez out... holy shit snow predicted for Monday in Chicago.

Attachments

#10 ·
Yeah, it was hot out there. I was thinking about that when you talked about your dad, and I've been meaning to ask how he's doing now.

My buddy's Triumph broke down going back to the campground one night and a lady in a Nissan pickup backed in to me while I was sitting on my bike watching him try to kick :D Crash cage saved the day for me. Then I got food poisoning on the way home. Left Monday morning at 6:30 and got home at 10:30. Nonstop riding except for fuel stops, but with the food poisoning I was...busy. Miserable ride home, but a great weekend.

#11 ·
Eric,
Pop's arm is healing (Old - Blood thinners & thin skin) but it will take about a month to fully heal.
Yuck food poisoning! that sucks.
Kick starting what fun! gonna ride the old Harley one more time this season on Saturday. Hasn't been ran for about 3 weeks now... gonna be a work out. My hot-rodded motor has 10.5:1 compression (Decked heads, totalseal piston rings)most Harleys from this era have 7.5:1 compression. So that's why my right leg is bigger than my left:confused:
Glad ya had a great time and made it home safely after a 16 hours on the road.

#12 ·
Glad to hear your Pop's is getting better. Always worry about infection with older folks like that. I don't guess it was an honest 16hr ride as we crossed through a time zone, so actually 15hrs.

Have fun kicking that hotrod. My little 400 single is 10:1 and it's impossible to kick without a decomp. I can only imagine a big twin.

Speaking of Harley's, blasting the interstate at 85mph for hours at a time on a naked bike still has my shoulders hurting. Hanging on the bars like a parachute works on your muscles after a while and you find yourself feeling stetched out. Right shoulder muscles started cramping the day after. It got me to thinking maybe I'll trade my FZ in on a Versys, but I dig the hell out of my little Yamaha. So maybe I oughta just pick up an older 1200 Sportster with bags and mids to have a highway machine. What else munches interstate miles like a Harley? I can pickup a nice Sporty as cheap or cheaper than a Versys, and Harley dealerships are EVERYWHERE on the east coast. There's one in every town, like Honda's. It's got my gears turning...I do like traveling.

#13 ·
This kills my hard core Harley buddies... I still want to own/ experience a BMW K1600 and / or a Kawasaki Concourse for distance traveling. Wouldn't mind a newer Harley... but have never owned a inline 4 or inline 6.

300 miles on my old shovelhead w/ FAT-Boy bars, and my shoulders / upper back start to ache something fierce. I want to believe that there's a bike out there that won't do the above. My fear is it's a GL`1800 (Shiver -chills - It's a Honda.)

#14 ·
There's a very clean Concourse on my local CL for $5k. That's a horse of a motor in those bikes, but I'm very fond of my parallel twin. Not sure I could ever go back to revvy I4 power, but a 1250S Bandit is an option I'd like to test some time.

The BMW's worry me with reliability issue. They are good bikes, but the problems you hear about are very expensive ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.