Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

CB rat / cafe

90K views 415 replies 106 participants last post by  rabies 
#1 ·
CB750F rat / fighter

Hey guys, Just joined today to post some pics of my bike. I have not owned a bike since 96. Before that I had all the ninjas, GSXRs, V-max, etc. I was surfing the net and discovered rat bikes and street fighters. I got the bug and went out looking for a cheap, solid bike I could screw around with and make my own monster. I found a 1981 CB750F for $700.00. Then I proceded to destroy it. But now it is my custom creation and I love it.

Basically I just put on clubman cafe bars, blacked out the wheels, gave her a nice flat black spray job, cut of the rear end, cut the seat in half, tossed out the fenders and rear pegs, cut the shocks and lowered it. I just have to get rid of that huge tailight for a small one and I should be about done. Just rigged up the rear light so I could take her for a spin.

Also, let me say that I have no mechanical ability and am proud to call myself a "hack". I was just excited that it started and all the lights worked when I was done. I see that most guys on here are very talented and create cool bikes. I just wanted to tinker in the garage and get away from the WIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!

See less See more
#33 ·
Bolted up a 94 CBR 600 rear wheel. Wouldnt fit with my shock extenders on so I lost all my ride hieght. Going to move the shock mounts forward on the swing arm.

new 170 vs old 130

Mounted up

Way too low

Only have to move shock mounts a few inches forward

Will look like this, visit welder tomorrow

Next is CBR front wheel, maybe front end also if it is too hard to mount wheel on CB forks.

#34 ·
Ya definatly need some USD forks up front, looks good though.

#35 ·
I am considering UPSD forks. Just a little intimidated by the job. May be a little over my head, well see.:doh:

#36 ·
Moved my shock mounts forward on the swinger. Got my shocks back into the proper geometry and got my ride hieght back.

Front end and motor to come

#39 ·
Got a set of CB1000C cams. Those are going in. May also go with a 836 weisco kit. Figure almost 30 thousand miles, if your going to do a top end, may as well punch it out a little.:rock:

We'll see :thumbsup:

#42 ·
Thanx man. Sort of a reflection of my obsessive compulsive, angry, never satisfied, fucked up persaonality. :rock::nuts::fu::rock::nuts::nuts::nuts:

#40 ·
what is that little tail piece off of? this bike is flat out awesome - i don't see tom many people that keep their dual shocks, usually see a mono shock as the first mod they do on older bikes, i like it.

#41 ·
The tail peice is actually the stock unit. I thinned the seat out by pulling out all of the foam, almost. I also cut the front and rear of the seat off. I then took the stock cowl and cut off the sides and bolted it directly to the modified seat. It now comes off as one unit. I also bought some allen head bolts and washers and bolted a peice of plastic in the mouth of the cowl where the thick seat used to butt up to it. Sort of a custom solo seat. :D

As far as a mono shock goes, that would be a bit over my head with all the suspension geometry and fabricating and welding. Also, I think the dual shocks look bad ass!!!

Reactions: orange148
#46 ·
My F2 front wheel came in the other day. Also landed a 94 F2 front fender for $10.00 on fleabay. Waiting for new bearings and for the machine shop to make my new center sleeve and right side spacer. Couldnt help though, had to hang it on there just to take a look see. Will post some full bike pics once it is permanently mounted.

Reactions: RatFighter and cage
#48 ·
I gotta admit when you first joined up and chopped the back end of that 750 off I was a little curious what direction you were going with it, the more time that passes and the more updates that show up on this thread, the more impressed I am by what your doing!

Sure I come off as an asshole at times, and sure, my opinion may not matter to most, but I know what I like and I know what works well, and what your building there fits both categories so well it's unbelievable. Bravo, that 750 is turning out to be one outstanding machine!

You've peaked my interest, can't wait for another update.

-Rat

#49 ·
Thanx for all the compliments.First bike I ever modded and really didnt know what I was doing and had no plan. After hanging around here and on other sites I saw a bunch of cool ideas and and started to experiment with different things. It all started to come together nicely and improved about 1000%.

Just bolted up a very cool mod tonight but I think my fuckin camera may be broken. Will dick around with it and try to get some pics up tonight. :shocker:

#50 ·
Wife dropped the fuckin camera and fucked it all up, sorry for the shitty image. Still up in the air on this one, although it is growin on me. Input please.:shocker: And, yea, yea, the turn signals will be changed out.

Man the camera is fucked. Not only all the lines, but at the bottom of the light assembly and on the horn assembly it looks all brown, that is flat black.

Reactions: RatFighter
#53 ·
Got the gixxer headlamps, front fender and CBR front wheel all mounted up. Comments welcome. I will be in the garage staring at it for the rest of the night.

#54 ·
It realy does look good!
To me, those forks just look tiny
To the best of my knowledge you just need to figure out what other models of bikes has the same stem size as yours and then find which one has USD's and your set.
And also just run a single speedo up front the rest of the bike looks lean and VERY fucking mean, aside from the dashpanel from a 1978 cadilac you got up there

#55 ·
:shocker:

I love it, the low slung front end matched to the long muscular swinger/wheel/tail combo out back with the GSXR lights and 80's style dash. It looks borderline serial killer. If a bike ever looked "Evil" I would have to say your CB is there 110%.

Very nice, I think whatever route you keep taking this bike is the right way to go.

-Rat

#56 ·
Thanx for the comps!!!!!!!!!!

Now to pull the motor out and pump it up so she can walk the walk, not just talk the talk!!!!!!!!!

CB1000 cams, valve job, 836 big bore kit.:rock::rock::rock::rock:

#57 ·
Got a new camera so I figured I would post some ouitside / daylight photos of the current set up before I pull the motor.

Reactions: cage and RatFighter
#58 ·
The real winter project starts. That was tuff pullin that motor!!

Reactions: RatFighter and cage
#60 ·
The real winter project starts. That was tuff pullin that motor!!

Really? I hear this alot, but the only bitch of a time I've ever had removing an engine was with a Toyota MR2 (yes, a car) because it comes out of the bottom of the damn thing.

With bikes, I usually get a helping hand and when the engine is ready to drop I just lean the bike over on the right side with some wood/foam layed down and the engine just falls right out (not literally!). I do the same thing with getting it back in. Of course, disconnecting the suspension helps so your only moving around a bare frame rather than a whole engine or roller. :D

Glad your on your way to glory dude, can't wait to hear how it rev's with the new cams! :rock:

-Rat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.