Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Car wheel conversion

48K views 59 replies 27 participants last post by  370steve 
#1 ·
#37 ·
hey CBRRRT, I am trying todo this but have come up a bit short on space, I am trying to fit a 18x7.5 wheel on an early vfr 750 arm. I got 82mm bolts and 30mm spacers, the tyre dude said that to be safe you want the bolts todo at least 6 rotations but with this the wheel is fouling on the arm. have i missed something?? someone suggested that I could space out the spindle? any ideas?

#38 ·
I dont think the 18" wheel will fit on a 750 arm mate, I think it will only go on the 800 arm. The Texas two
R3voltn1 and Alien594 both have 18 x 7.5's on their 929's

How much is it fouling the arm by mate? If we are only talking about a couple of mm then add to the spacer as I dont think you'll notice any difference in handling, unless you are Valentino Rossi or the like.

When I first fitted my 750 arm it was negative 8mm out and I never noticed anything.

I would be interested to know what offset your wheel is, and how far out the spacing is matey.

#40 ·
I dont think the 18" wheel will fit on a 750 arm mate, I think it will only go on the 800 arm. The Texas two
R3voltn1 and Alien594 both have 18 x 7.5's on their 929's
mines on the 750 arm :D

If I remember right though... I had a bit of panic set in, when I ordered & paid for the wheel. I was so busy consentrating on widths n offsets etc that I stupidly forgot to check diameter :doh:

But just to prove it's always better too be Lucky than Smart

#39 ·
I'm running vfr 800 with 18" x 7.5 wheel I think it's 40mm offset and 1.25 " spacer on my tlr and wheel is offset like 1/2" so I need to get smaller wheel prob 6.5 or 7"wheel and smaller spacer to center the wheel
My wheel will be for sale cheap

I also have 240 mm Shinto tire and when mounting use lots of tire soup and ratchet strap to seat the bead
Ratchet strap helped a lot to seat it

#41 ·

This is the wheel, the diameter appeared to be fine it was just the width. The offset of the wheel is 40. I tried another wheel in the shop the same size and it just touches the inside of the swingarm, I think I had about 35mm of spacers to get some idea but I'm not sure how much overhang the tyre will have (continental race attack custom 240/40/18). I still have space at the arm spindle to play with to make it center so not too concerned about that. just need to get the wheel on lol

has anyone had to space much past 30mm before? the most we did was 42mm but then the bolt turns were about 4 and the fitter said that isn't safe???

I will post up some piccies when the wheel comes through hopefully tomorrow but snow+UK = stand still

#42 ·
I had a small problem with my wheel touching the inside of my arm, I figured its a fuckin big bit of ally so I took my grinder to the inside of the arm. I know its a hollow arm but its a VFR arm so very over engineerd. I would be happy to skim a bit of your arm mate and the tyre wall will sit inline with the rim.

That arm aint goin nowhere matey bloke

#47 ·
Not sure about the Triumph, but I got an 18" x 8 with a 240 section tyre on the VIFFA arm

It looks like the 8" wheel needs to be offset. If that's the case I'd probably stick to a 7" max. I've got a Trumpy swinger sitting on the shelf waiting for a bike to stick it in.

#49 ·
CBRRRT - nice VTR project... is that still in progress or is that done? Sorry I'm new here... you got a build thread for that one?

#52 ·
Hi all
I just read this whole thread but nothing was said regarding fitment of tire in the car rim. What is everyones 2 cents regarding this? I have a sketch that shows the differences and how that can affect cornering and tire seating while turning. Is anyone concerned about this?

#54 ·
Its not a question of doubts. Its a concern that should be discussed eventhough i never heard of a bike tire coming of a car rim while cornering so i think its a concern of lesser importance, same as darksiders have but the other way around but always to think about if one wants to explore the bike to the maximum with these mods.

#57 ·
Sorry to bring this old thread back up but I am looking for some info. My question is regarding tyre size on 17"x7" Car RIM (Offset 38) - what is the appropriate size - 200,210,220 ? I know 5.5" is for 180 and 6.0" for 190. I have VFR800 1998-2000 Swingarm and 2005 VFR 5.5" Wheel (bought today). If I am reading correctly offset for VFR wheel is 18mm and if mine is 38 I need 20 mm spacer added to the swingarm in order to be at the same center as the VFR wheel. But it will prolly hit the swingarm so I need to move it a bit ot the left and increase spacer by the same size i moved it : e.g. I move swingarm 19,05 mm (or 0.75 inches) to the left I have to make 19,05 mm (or 0.75 inches) 2nd spacer in order to keep it centereed. This way both wheels can use the swingarm with one additional spacer for the bigger one and the big one will not hit the swingarm. Sorry for long spam but I am writing my brain-flow :)

P.S. Just googling around VFR wheel offset is 19mm or 18mm ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.