Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Fightered Yamaha R6

Tags
r6 yamaha
109K views 459 replies 46 participants last post by  22125 
#1 ·
I bought a rocket after having a Harley Davidson Sportster Roadster and all the plastic wasn't for me. So I'm making it mine. I have always love cafe racers so I looked into that option and decided to start. I take a ton of pictures so that if anyone wants to follow in my footsteps they are welcome to do so.
So I like the cafe style but know women like to ride on the back so I'm putting the whole seat unit on industrial strength drawer sliders with locks on both ends to secure it with a second seat where the first would slide away from. To my knowledge this is the first of it's kind.
Let me know if you have some points as I am all ears!

Here is the journey from this:

To how it currently sits:

See less See more
#10 ·
Re: 2000 Yamaha R6 turned Cafe (with sliding seat)

So far, let me know what your thoughts are.
Also, I'm leaving the frame brushed like it is, paint the rest white, with brown leather, looking to get some vinyl "1856" for the year of my fraternity's founding to put on the flap that hangs down. most likely a rustic red color

#11 ·

ALSO: I am looking for a good way to cover up the tank hinge, keep in mind it cant be a part of the main seat pan as that has to remain flat as to look normal when it slides back to act as the passenger seat.
thinking about making the pan for the alternative seat pan curve up and cover that, gonna try and draw that up tomorrow. suggestions welcome!

#13 ·

The seat will use the original rear seat key lock to lock into the two mounts that will be welded to the frame.
the entire weight of the seat and pan will be on the frame as the sliders are recessed into the body. They are solely there to give it more mounting points and tracks to slide with. And I'm not sure what you are referring to with side flex. If you could explain that a little more?

#14 ·

If you plan on somehow having the tail slide off the subframe I think by side flex I think He means any motion left to right on the tail, causing stress on the sliding components. I love how much of the stock subby youre retaining for this. Could be an excellent resource for others with this subframe, though I think due to how rounded the tail lump is it lmight look kinda goofy. I think it would look better more squared off on the sides and front.

#20 ·

If you plan on somehow having the tail slide off the subframe I think by side flex I think He means any motion left to right on the tail, causing stress on the sliding components. I love how much of the stock subby youre retaining for this. Could be an excellent resource for others with this subframe, though I think due to how rounded the tail lump is it lmight look kinda goofy. I think it would look better more squared off on the sides and front.
I have been looking into ones of this nature as well

Tha what you mean? cause I would agree that that has potential to look sick

#15 ·

What about using over sized tubing that can slide back and forward over your existing subframe post and use pins and r clips to hold it in place using pre drilled holes? So it's still adjustable just has no component that can wear out

#16 ·

Not trying to knock your sliding seat idea. But why would you want it in the first place? Your seat pan now goes back to almost the passenger pad area, there is a lot of area for your ass to move around as is...

Subscribed like a mofo anyways man, you got my attention!

#21 ·

Not trying to knock your sliding seat idea. But why would you want it in the first place? Your seat pan now goes back to almost the passenger pad area, there is a lot of area for your ass to move around as is...

Subscribed like a mofo anyways man, you got my attention!
Yeah I dont think you are being rude by any means. I want it so I dont have to sleep on the couch when my gf cant ride with me on the bike.
also realized that I will have to cut the frame at the point in which the top piece ends to have a flat plane for the seat pan to rest on, therefore the seat's cowell will be closer to the tank.
feel free to ask for any pictures (different views or angles) esp. if you like the final product/concept in months to come because if this works it could be cool

#19 ·

quick fix to make me less likely to get pulled over-- no officer, just ignore that i have 0 turn signals, brake lights or head light..

here is the rails shaved down a little better and the sliders height

and a few with both rails resting on it

who would have guessed they would not sit still for the picture.. zip ties to the rescue

#30 ·

who would have guessed they would not sit still for the picture.. zip ties to the rescue
Please don't use the sliders for any structural purpose in that orientation. They're intended to support weight with the long side vertical. They'll buckle almost immediately otherwise. The over/undersized tube with pins is the idea that sounds safest to me so far. Whatever you do, don't use those sliders like they are. They will fail.

#24 ·

Turns out one of my friends knows a guy that has access to a cnc machine and is gonna teach him how to weld so I shouldn't have to make a seat after all. need to look into a use for the bondo that I already bought now. any suggestions for cool things for my bike? Also when I get my seat made I'm going to ask for strips to make my handlebars look like those pictured above

#25 ·

My original idea for a light came in, what are your thoughts? I'm also considering the traditional circle light and would just sell this one.. hard to say without the tail end.

Also I will be painting the bike white so that would have to happen as well, just something to think about.

#27 ·

I like it not being a circle, more aggressive that way, even for a cafe fighter. But not sure of the size (10 1/4 x 10inches), what about this (5 1/2 inches x 5 1/2 inches):

too many decisions for the day. also getting some strip lighting for the break light.

#28 ·

That first light is badass looking and it looks like it matches the color. If you use it drop it just low enough to cover whatever gauge you are going to use

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.