Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

XL600R

4K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Niko 
#1 ·
Hi all 🙂

10 years ago i was building a little 125cc aprilia fighter, had a thread here, on a long lost account, it went nowhere, lack of money, willpower and creativity, cracked frame, no engine... I was 21 and not that skillfull...
https://www.customfighters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82#/topics/22983

So after 10 years i work fulltime as a cnc programmer/machinist, have a lot larger pool of knowledge and an itch to fighter something up in the spirit of this forum 😄

This is my new project, well... not that new, I had it for about 2 years but did not do much in that time, it has some work put into it, Honda XL600R super moto tracker whatever...

What was done:

-USD front forks with triple triangles from a 1998 Aprilia Pegaso, easy swap, just bought 2 new tapered bearings O.D. honda, I.D. aprilia, for 150$ i got forks, front wheel (19"), 300mm disc and brembo caliper

-wheels are 17" alloys from hyosung gt750, front is for 110/120 tire, rear 150/160, rear axle is the same diameter as hondas (yey) front is not so some spacers were done on the lathe a new bearings popped in, still need to make an adapter to fit a front disc to this rim, and need to make a caliper hanger for the rear, chain alignment will come later

-rear suspension with linkage from aprilia rs125, at the moment a stock shock, uper mount is tacked in place, need to gusset the crap out of it

Now I am working on linkage mounts on the frame and fork, after that i will do the subframe (it will be height adjustible) and seat, seatpan was made but still need to finish the front part where it meets the has tank. Fuel tank at the moment is a suzuki gn250, but maybe id like to make an angular tank from stainless, like really boxy, still dont know...

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
I have tried those projector lights and sadly they are not good for lighting the road 😞

Today not much work done, grinded the old linkage frame mount (in the pic is half done), then played with the shape of the new ones, and just one observation that the factory welds are awfull on this frame...

Attachments

#9 ·
Made a tank mock-up, still needs to fit better with the frame, gonna make a alloy shroud for the front part of it, under it will go some of the electronics to clean the tail area and a battery eliminator (kick start only)

Attachments

#10 ·
Scraped the tank mockup, was ugly... Gonna use the gn250 one i have
Did some work on the back end, tacked in new cross beam(?) and the new shock mount, made some gussets from square tube for the main frame tubes, still need to stiffen the area around shock mount with some plate, and started on the subframe, was inspired by the subframe from the honda slr650

Attachments

#12 ·
Some progress was made on the subframe, still need to make the back end of square tube pointy so that it doesnt look so huge, and think of seat and tank mounts, i can barely believe i got it so simetrical with just a marker pen and grinder lol

Attachments

#18 ·
Worked a little on the back end, was on holiday trip so not much time sadly, tacked a support for the seat loop, waiting for the new fuel tank to arrive so i can make the front support
Also found some triple clamps from an unknown bike that will fit after some modding to the stem... I hate how slow everything is moving...

Attachments

#20 ·
Interesting... Now you gave me some ideas about exhaust can placement, i have a shortened leo vince sbk titanium in my parts pile, maybe it would fit under the seat loop hmmm... 😄

In other news... I found some unknown triples (maybe ktm, upper-54mm lower-57mm)
Had a stem and shims machined at work, and it fits awesome :rock:

Waiting for a bearing kit

Still need to fit the axle...

Attachments

#24 ·
Im back after some time, moved back to my home county, got a garage finally that I need to pimp out
And today my frame was welded, grinded and primed, still need to weld brackets and such but I primed it to prevent rust.
Also thinking about that headlight cooler combo and how to make it work with clipons... Seat pan is also done and foam is glued on but needs some more work
Sorry for the grainy picture it was getting dark and my phone is crap

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.