Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Smoker's Custom Motard

415K views 2K replies 180 participants last post by  crazypj 
#1 ·
Been thinking A LOT about building a custom two-stroke motard. :D

I've got a nice 1987 RZ350, completely bone stock. I REALLY hate to strip it down to build a custom, but it's probably the best thing to do. It's already registered and plated here in California, so that will avoid a lot of future hassles.

So, now is the time for planning the build. Any ideas you guys may have would be much appreciated. I'll post up my ideas, and will get the work started when I feel comfortable with the design.

I want to use the existing RZ350 frame and engine, beyond that - it's wide open!! Soon, I'll post pics of the bike as it is now.

Here is a custom motard built with the same engine and frame:

See less See more
#556 ·
I want to use one KX85 PWK and one standard PWK. Notice that the throttle adjust screws are on opposite sides (I think). That means that on the right side carb, the screw will be easier to access. The choke and air screw are always on the left side of the PWKs.

Hopefully, there aren't other differences between the 2 carbs - besides the jets.

#558 ·
I may end up purchasing the KX85 PWK 28mm carbs (around $86 USD each). CPW wants $269 USD for the 2 carbs and extra jets.

The PWK28 with the idle screw on the right has one vent tube, but the PWK28 with the idle screw on the left has 2 vent hoses. I thought that the carb with one tube could have the tube routed to the rear of the carb - but it looks like the idle screw interferes with that.

The reason I don't want the vent hose routed to the right front (on the right carb) is because it's close to the clutch cable, and makes it difficult to route the vent hose to a rear catch can.

I've been trying a mock-up and still not sure if it's more difficult to reach the idle screws between the frame and the carbs or in-between the carbs. Both locations seem equally awkward, but possible.

So, it may not matter which PWKs I order.

#560 ·
Update:

Went to the machine shop today. The motor mounts haven't been touched, and the machinist again said - at least 2 weeks before he can get to them. This could go on indefinitely if the shop stays busy.

---Now looking for another person or shop to finish the engine mounts and other machine work I need done.

Ordered 2 KX85 carbs for a test fitting.

Ordered a billet throttle and Motogadget M-Unit.

Have a tracking number for the big Aprilia parts order.

Would like a VDB swingarm for this bike. Extremely rare, so hard to find used with a reasonable price. I asked the Aprilia parts guy, who said - no used VDB arm, but Aprilia has a new one in stock for $1,300 USD. :wtf:

Will still keep an eye out for a used VDB arm - but will plan to chop the OEM arm (25mm) and modify to replicate the VDB.

#567 ·
Yeah, both projects have ground to a halt, since I lost my great machinist to Disney.

Since then, the custom parts mill has dried up. The current machinist at the same shop can't get anything done. I'm going to stop by today and see if I can get the incomplete motor mounts to take somewhere else. I'd also like whatever CAD drawings are done for the mounts. Don't know how this is going to work out. I also have other parts to cut besides these mounts.

#572 ·
Finally got all the bodywork payed for and installed today.

Then decided I didn't like it.

I knew I wanted custom bodywork, but thought the OEM stuff would be okay for a while.

It's real nice, but I want the bike more freaked-out. I keep changing my mind, but I think I'd rather ride the bike completely naked, than with the OEM bodywork.

I'm gonna hold onto the bodywork for now, but pretty sure it will all be sold for a loss.

#574 ·
The good thing about the OEM bodywork is it's very nice and proper, which might keep some cops from pulling me over. Plus - except for the tank and seat, I would be done.

I'd prefer to go naked custom fighter, though.

I should probably also mention that I've been working on downpipes, again.

No telling where this will end up. Or when. :LolLolLolLol:

#576 ·
Well, the KX85 carbs fit well on the Aprilia frame, but not so well on the RZ350 engine.

The false vent fitting on the bottom of the carb pushes down on the clutch pivot.

The left front vent hose is pinched between the fitting and the clutch cable. [Not occluding the hose.]

Both problems could be corrected by using thick enough reedblock spacers. On this bike, the intake boots are about 1/4 inch from the frame. I don't want to decrease that distance, but a 2mm spacer might will do the trick.

I may fix the clutch pivot clearance by chopping the false vent fitting and filling the hole with something like JB Weld.

The choke knobs are easy to reach on both sides.

I was going to return these carbs and get the PWK 28s with the idle screws on the right side. There should be no fitment issues with those carbs. I decided to keep these because of the 2 extra vents. These carbs will perform better during sustained wheelies, stoppies, and general hooliganism.

#577 ·
DOUBLE FUCK!!!

Ordered a Joker Machine Throttle from my buyer at Friendly Yamaha - who said it's NLA.

Also tried Motostrano who told me JM throttles are discontinued.

Looks like Joker Machine may be out of business. I'll call direct on Monday, but pretty sure it's a no-go.

Fucking sad. I think Joker made the nicest throttles on earth. :doh:

#585 ·
From Joker Machine:

The newly improved GP II SPEEDWAY throttle from Joker Machine features ball-bearing action for extra-smooth performance with a more precise feel. A "Quick Change" knob attached to our durable polycarbonate window allows the rider to view the internal workings (INCLUDING THE CONDITION OF THE THROTTLE CABLE) of the throttle, and enables the rider to remove the cable from the roller quickly and easily.

ALL CNC MACHINED BILLET ALUMINUM CONSTRUCTION FROM A SOLID BLOCK WITH MILITARY-SPEC. HARD ANODIZED INTERNAL WEAR SURFACES.

ALL NEW MILLING FEATURES INCORPORATED AROUND THE OUTSIDE OF THE HOUSING FOR IMPROVED STYLE AND LIGHTNESS.

HAS AN ADJUSTABLE THROTTLE ROTATION LIMITER SCREW WITH LOCK-NUT, THAT ALLOWS YOU TO "DIAL IN" THE PERFECT ROTATION AMOUNT WITHOUT UNDO STRAIN ON THE CABLE.

HAS A UNIQUE SEALED BALL BEARING CABLE ROLLER FOR POSITIVE THOTTLE RESPONSE.

ANODIZED BODY AND GRIP SECTIONS FOR INCREASED DURABILITY.

DIAMOND KNURLED HANDLE FOR POSITIVE HAND GRIP HOLDING.

HAS A NEW KNURLED AND SLOTTED CABLE INSERT WITH A LARGER SET SCREW THAT ENABLES YOU TO ROTATE THE INSERT SLOT INTO POSITION FOR QUICK CABLE REMOVAL.

UNIQUE DESIGN ENABLES QUICK AND EASY SERVICING FROM TOP AND END SIDES WITHOUT DISTURBING THE POSITION OF THE MAIN BODY.

HAS INTERNAL O-RING BAR SEAL AND NYLON WASHER SYSTEM FOR OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE.

AVAILABLE IN YOUR CHOICE OF 5 ANODIZED COLORS.

#587 ·
It just never ends. :doh:

It seems like I can't order one fucking part on either of my projects without a big hassle.

I can't get the Tornado throttle, and today I received this email:

Pete,
Call me. I have a problem. Thanks

Bryan Warren
Joker Machine

Looks like I won't be getting the red GPII throttle, either.

(Keep in mind, I just talked to the dude yesterday - and everything was fine.)

Too dejected to even call today. I'll find out tomorrow.