Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Quick sumo build- All Rex's fault

3K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  yantosh 
#1 ·
So I got a new dirt bike. Well, new to me, at least.

So it was time to unload Trusty, my ever faithful XR400. But Rex twisted my arm and talked me in to a sumo conversion. Parts ordering has commenced.

After years of dirt use it was pretty funky and beat up, so a full strip down/paint/wash up was in order.

Trimmed some plastics back to knock of some visual bulk. Pretty happy with the look. DRZ headlight I had will do just right.

Stock:

Trimmed:

Then my good pal Rex talked me in spending some more money. CRF250R mufflers. Not too bad at $110 off fleabay. I swear the pair of these feels lighter than the single stock muffler.

Pretty pleased with the look and very pleased with the sound! Quiet deep rumble at idle, but they bark like hell when you rap it.

They're just kinda flopping about at the moment.

Just decided to do this about a week ago. Been piddling in the shop and snapping shitty cellphone pics. I'll try to do better.

Oh yeah, and these beauties are on their way from Racing Geek :thumbsup:

Part of me wants to black em out, another part of me wants shiny rims. We'll see where we end up.

See less See more
#17 ·
In had no idea those existed. Something like that last one might be ok.

Cleaned up and powder coated the hubs. Color isn't exactly what I was shooting for, but I like it.

"Chrome" basecoat

A splash of pink :D This powder is brutal. Such a fine powder it literally coated my whole shop with a layer of red dust :nono:

Finished result and a wheel spacer I needed to turn up to replace the disc guard I'm no longer running.

Don't want to get blingy, but the rest axle and chain adjuster snails were basically black with rust. Had to do something.

Rims will probably be here today. No idea when Buchanans will have my spokes ready. Natural finish rims with stainless spokes and nipples. Thinking of doing the nipples in the candy red. Maybe.

#18 ·
Speedo showed up this evening, so I got it mounted. Fair but smaller than I expected, but I like it. That's a silicone plug I trimmed down to rest against the damper. She's sprung in there sturdy, but shouldn't have any vibration issues.

Seeing that pic makes me want to refinish the bars. ^^^

Got the headlight mounted, too. Some simple ears off the upper pinch bolts and a bridge thingy down low for aiming/stability.

Powder coated.

I'm really happy with the look. Just using the stuff I had (extra seat, DRZ headlight, bar ends) but the colors and all are looking nice.

The rims showed up from Racing Geek! And Buchanans got the spokes and nipples here today. Looking forward to seeing these things laced up!

Tires, tubes and wheel bearings should be here first if next week. Got a pretty good start on the wiring, but waiting on a key switch to get here. If all goes well I'll be able to ride this thing next weekend. But if it don't rain tomorrow I'll out of the shop enjoying this brute. :rock:

520 EXC. I'm in love with that thing. Power wheelies at any rpm in the first 5 gears. It'll come right up in 6th if you do it right. Have yet to find anyway to get wot in this thing, yet it's a pussy cat in the woods. Brilliant engine and chassis on this thing.

#24 ·
Made up a new wiring harness, fitted a rectifier and got everything tidied up. Was gonna get a picture, but too lazy to pull the harness back off for glamour shots, so that's all you get :D

Laced up the rims. Pretty happy with how everything is turning out.

#25 ·
Tires showed up yesterday, so trued the rims and got her off the lift last night. Was kinda surprised to find the side stand didn't need any trimming.

May have snuck out for a midnight rip on some closed roads while no one was around...

Carb needs tuning with the new twice pipes. They sound so good out riding. Gearing feels good, but haven't hit the highway yet. Stock front brake never felt bad, it feels much stronger than expected with the small tire. Rear brake feels unusually weak for some reason??

I almost dumped it straight out of the garage. Brain was in dirt bike mode as I launched out of the shop in to the gravel driveway. Tiny front tire was not in dirt bike mode and scared the shit outta me :D Fun times!

A few more bits to go and she's done :rock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.