Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Smoker's Custom Motard

415K views 2K replies 180 participants last post by  crazypj 
#1 ·
Been thinking A LOT about building a custom two-stroke motard. :D

I've got a nice 1987 RZ350, completely bone stock. I REALLY hate to strip it down to build a custom, but it's probably the best thing to do. It's already registered and plated here in California, so that will avoid a lot of future hassles.

So, now is the time for planning the build. Any ideas you guys may have would be much appreciated. I'll post up my ideas, and will get the work started when I feel comfortable with the design.

I want to use the existing RZ350 frame and engine, beyond that - it's wide open!! Soon, I'll post pics of the bike as it is now.

Here is a custom motard built with the same engine and frame:

See less See more
#9 ·
Still up in the air.... For the moment (haven't considered bodywork, yet) I'd like to go with the tank, seat and radiator cowl like in the following pic. I really like how the radiator cowl works with the engine shape, and the position of the fuel tank is crazy.

I would rather run a low front fender like the dual-sport style:

If I could chop the rear fender and chop the number plate (to fit the mufflers on the incline), that would be okay, but it also needs a place to mount a plate, so a custom tail is probably necessary.

I wouldn't run any factory stickers. I would have my own nasty ones made. :shockerknucks:

#15 ·
I'm sick of seeing this bike sitting in the garage, and I hardly ride it. I want to turn it into a bike I really want. I paid at least twice what it's worth because it's an OEM creampuff, and now I'm going to strip it down. I'm not very good when it comes to my finances. :nuts:

I'm into planning for this bike, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time on building this bike before the fighter bike is done. It's good to have a firm plan early on, because then I can watch for good deals on parts and think through problems.

#7 ·
I am a Huge fan of this idea. Please run dirtbike plastics like the bike in the pic. That would be really cool. DO IT. :voodoo:

#17 ·
Yeah, I know what you mean, but this bike isn't going to see double jumps or table tops. :D

I wish, but it's just going to see light duty off-road, and moderately crazy street riding. I'll also be shortening up the ride height and travel a little, since it's mostly for street use. I should have made it clear that I'm not building a race bike.

#22 ·
my friend had the aprillia 550 and i couldnt stop staring at the swingarm! that is dead sexy!

#29 ·
DUDE

ive been wanting to see a supermoto on here for ages, and here we are, the perfect person for the job!

cant wait to see some progress, this is gunna be awesome, i was considering putting an rd engine in my sherco at one point.

IMO the bike you have pics of (not the aprillia) looks too flat with the rd frame, if i was you i would be considering looking for a cheap supermoto and do a bit of fab on the frame to house the engine.

Just a thought

Safe x

#30 ·
DUDE

ive been wanting to see a supermoto on here for ages, and here we are, the perfect person for the job!

cant wait to see some progress, this is gunna be awesome, i was considering putting an rd engine in my sherco at one point.

if i was you i would be considering looking for a cheap supermoto and do a bit of fab on the frame to house the engine.
I know someone that's doing it now:

I would prefer to drop the RZ engine in an existing supermoto bike, but I would have problems registering it here in California.

#37 ·
I've been thinking about cloning a supermoto frame, using the headtube with the VIN from my RZ350 frame.

So I need to find out the rules for frame modification. Maybe the law doesn't allow the frame to be altered, I don't know.

I want to find out, legally - how much frame can I chop off of the serial numbers and how much new frame can I weld on?

The local CHP office is the perfect place to find out. The cops there are total ass holes. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

#39 ·
I've run into plenty of cops over the years that know the RZ350.

Besides that, it may not be the best idea, anyway. If I want to use the Aprilia SXV/RXV swingarm - I'm definitely not buying one of those bikes and toss the engine! Those bikes are 10,000 USD new and 7,000 USD used.

I know a fabricator in Florida who already has an RZ350 frame, and said he could chop the Aprilia swingarm and weld on a new pivot tube to fit the RZ350. I still need to check the SXV swingarm length and cost.