Project [insert name here] - 1991 GSXR750 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Project [insert name here] - 1991 GSXR750

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
cookymon
A baby stole my dingo!

Senior Fighterer
cookymon's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:53 PM
Flip Offs: 4
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
cookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Project [insert name here] - 1991 GSXR750

I've never generally been one to try to fix something that isn't broken, but after getting married, having kids, then getting mortgaged to the hilt so that I can work 50 hours a week and still have no money left, my poor old Suzuki has been sadly neglected. It's been sitting in the corner of my parent's garage (then outside in the rain when they decided they needed the space) for so long that it's due some cosmetic surgery.

Once upon a time my bike looked like this: (not my actual bike, but right colour)

It was purrrrdy. It didn't stay that way for long. So un-long in fact that the crashing and subsequest razzing of fairings and engine cases occurred during the test ride... Let's just say I wasn't in a good position for negotiating a deal and leave it at that.

Right now it looks like this:

I should be DW instead of posting so that's all for now.
cookymon is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived cookymon!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
BurtonF166
Macaque
CF Lover
BurtonF166's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:53 PM
Flip Offs: 16
Flipped Off 5 Times in 5 Posts
BurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to allBurtonF166 is a name known to all
Default Re: Project [insert name here] - 1991 GSXR750

Wait, you crashed someones bike on a test ride??

What are your plans for it?
BurtonF166 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived BurtonF166!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
cookymon
A baby stole my dingo!

Senior Fighterer
cookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond reputecookymon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonF166 View Post
Wait, you crashed someones bike on a test ride??
Shhhh... What part of "leave it at that" did you miss?

Okay, yes I did. It was from a local dealer/workshop and I've been a customer there since I was a teenager so they know me pretty well and were good about it. I paid their asking price and they offered to fix it for cost of parts.

For now the plan is simple - get bike back on the road. it's been mothballed (without the use of moth balls) for ages and I need to ride. So there's a few things, mainly exhaust and lighting/electrical gremlins that I need to sort out so I can get a roadworthy certificate.

I tracked down a NOS OEM muffler and it was more than $1000 which is pretty much my entire budget. So to get around it I've got a Delkevic link pipe for a Bandit 1200 coming which fits my headers and lets me bolt on a Bandit muffler (plenty available cheap from my local wreckers). I figure since stock mufflers only have "Suzuki" stamped in them, and not "Bandit 1200" or "GSXR750" then I should get away with it. Also having the B12 mid pipe gives me some bolt-on exhaust options down the track.

I've scrubbed off all the rust from my headers and given them a coat of silver hi-temp paint.

A set of Dominator headlights are on their way from the UK. As much as I like to buy local, these were about half the cost of any set I could find in Australia and that includes the postage charges. I'm going to attempt to bend up some brackets out of aluminium. Does cutting and bending flat bar count as fab?

I'm currently sussing out what to do about the stock oil cooler. It has more bent fins than straight ones so an aftermarket item with shiny hoses and connectors is on the shopping list.

The carbs are out and need to be stripped down and cleaned. I'm tossing up whether or not I should get a jet kit. Seems like a good idea though since I plan on running pods and aftermarket muffler down the track.

As for the seat I don't know yet. I like the "classic" streetfighter lines of oil-cooled GSXR frame/tank/engine teamed up with a Ducati 916/748 seat but that's been done a thousand times. I might go with something more cafe-ish or I could make my own seat from fibreglass. Really don't know and it's closer to the end of my list of things to do.

That's all I've planned for the moment, and due to limited spare time might take me a few months to get that lot done anyway.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
jarrad
KZ1100 Fighter
Fighter
Local Time: 04:23 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
jarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of light

mate where abouts are you in auz? is sounds like ur stressing
a little too much over a RWC eg. the exhaust......
as long as its not too loud and dossent have sharp edges you could
use a baked bean can if you want!

i have just done one on my R6 fighter in Vic and its not as
bad as what you hear, i even passed with a drilled triple clamp.
jarrad is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
cookymon
A baby stole my dingo!

Senior Fighterer

I'm in NSW, jarrad. You're right, I am stressing too much over RWC but then everyone I've talked to says it's hard to get a bike passed. Mainly it's that under NSW EPA legislation you have to have an OEM exhaust with the noise dB stamped on it to pass inspection. Of course I know it depends on who does it but I don't want to give anyone any reasons to knock it back. The mechanic I would usually have used for this kind of stuff has shut up shop and I haven't found anyone else to be quite so easy going yet.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
cookymon
A baby stole my dingo!

Senior Fighterer

Got some shinies in the mail this week.

Bandit 1200 link pipe arrived in four, yes four, days from US of A! Top effort, Delkevic guys!

Now I can bolt on some cheap Bandit goodness!

Also got these black dominators from the UK. Took two weeks. You Poms could learn a thing or two about postage from the Yanks...

Look into my eyes....

Couple that stuff with my knock-off ProTaper bars and my chunky risers/clamps which arrived via aeroplanes a few months ago.

And I ripped these out to clean up

And I tidied up the headers with a steel scouring pad and a rattle can of hi-temp silver

Yes, my garage is a fucking mess. I still have a few things on my shopping list. first up is a muffler, then some 2mm aluminium bar to bend up some headlight and instrument mounts.
Gotta make a bracket to fit the mid pipe to the bike since the mounting bolts don't line up exactly and the new pipe has a different bend compared to the old one.
Also gotta make or buy some risers for my bar clamps - the tops of the forks poke out so far that they interfered with the bars when I mocked them up. Some 5mm plate between the clamps and the triples should give me enough clearance.
Anyway the bars can wait. I just need lights, muffler, and re fit the tail bodywork for rego inspection. Then once the monies are paid I can do whatever the fuck I like! Woot!
These people High Fived cookymon!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
cookymon
A baby stole my dingo!

Senior Fighterer

I was having a play with my headlights and was scratching my head over the wires coming out of them. Basically there was one H4 connector and two pin type plugs (presumably for pilot lights). Huh? Why only one H4 plug? So a quick google and forum search revealed that one of the headlights is piggybacked of the one with the connector lead. Anyway after more of a play I've decided to junk the headlight wires that came with the Dominators since the bike's wiring loom just plugs straight onto both headlights. Easy!

I've also made a shitty MSPaint drawing of my mounting brackets for the lights which I'll make tomorrow after I get to the hardware store and buy some flat bar alum.

Not much of an update, but work and two kids has a habit of taking up lots of my time. I've managed to con the in-laws to watch one of the kids tomorrow but they couldn't/didn't want to take both, but hopefully that'll free up enough time to do stuff!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
cookymon
A baby stole my dingo!

Senior Fighterer

Apologies for the lack of pics - I promise to remedy this situation shortly.

Anyway struck an issue with the Bandit mid pipe. Yes, it fits onto the stock GSXR headers, but it doesn't stick out far enough to clear the swingarm. Fixed with the purchase of some Bandit headers (Delkevic again. Am I the only dude on the planet to have aftermarket headers and mid pipe with a stock muffler? We do things backwards Down Under!). Usually there's an issue squeezing the slightly wider Bandit headers onto the 750 exhaust outlets, but by sheer dumb luck my pipes came in five bits (four pipes and a collector) so they didn't require nearly as much force to fit snugly.

With the aid of a dammit tool I beat the crap out of the airbox and it broke kinda neatly in half which let me remove it from the frame. Til then it didn't want to come out and the carbs didn't want to fit back in. So with the airbox out, the carbs are back on and look swish with some K&N pods over the inlets. Re-jetting fun in teh near future also happened to be in my horoscope...

Also bought an aftermarket oil cooler. I'd like to say I fabricated new mounting brackets, but I'm not sure cutting aluminum stock with a hacksaw and filing off the rough edges counts as fabbed... Still the result is neat enough for me, if not as awesome as others around the forum (BurtonF166, I'm thinking of your bike here).

While busy hacking aluminum I also made a new seat undertray to hide/relocate the wiring harness and made a new battery box. This is definitely in ghetto-fab territory so I'm still deciding whether to persevere with it, chuck it and try again, or just use the original box and underseat plastics until I have enough $ to do the whole back end.

That's where I'm at after three months. Bit lazy I know, but I've got momentum on my side and have been making time to DW and have fun.

Pics of stuff you've seen a thousand other guys do better will be taken and uploaded shortly.
This user High Fived cookymon!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
cookymon
A baby stole my dingo!

Senior Fighterer

Also thought of a couple of names for the bike:

Organ Donor

or

Temporary Australian
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
cookymon
A baby stole my dingo!

Senior Fighterer

In other news, w00t! 100 Posts!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes