Cookie's VTR1000 BUILD - "Persuasion Engineering" - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2014 Winter Build Off > 2014 Build Threads

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Cookie's VTR1000 BUILD - "Persuasion Engineering"

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Cookie2000ad
Back from Oz!
Cookie2000ad's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:19 AM
Flip Offs: 165
Flipped Off 59 Times in 27 Posts
Cookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CK
Default Medal Burnout Contest Winner Fighter of the Month 
Default Cookie's VTR1000 BUILD - "Persuasion Engineering"

Do not post in Winter Build-off threads! Discuss this thread here.

Hey folks, you might have caught my build so far: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=63138

This is what it's looking like atm:

I'm going to be keeping the engine, frame and side rads. Everything else is to change. Already got my rear wheel sorted, i'm working on getting USDs fitted for the Triumph front wheel, new seat, raised bars, etc.

Some personal highlights so far:

Triumph hub fitted to VFR800 SSSA

Handmade rear hanger for a Brembo caliper:

Rear shock mount:

I live in a ridiculously small flat with a long-suffering girlfriend so had to rent a P.O.S. garage with no power, still, it made me very happy to have a work space again!:

Dated pics:

And with the bike and the pile of parts.

Only being able to work on weekends in an unlit, unheated garage through winter is going to make this a challenge but i'm determined to try and get done by the deadline.

Good luck to all the other entries too!
Cookie2000ad is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Cookie2000ad
Back from Oz!
Cookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CK
Default Re: Cookie's VTR1000 BUILD - "Persuasion Engineering"

Was planning to go into work so I could use some power tools today and start carving something out of Alu but didn't get the chance. Should be able to get it done after work during the week. I've also got most of the stuff I need for the front end worked out and ordered, so between them both should have some cool updates next weekend!

I did get to the garage to make some tweaks to the rear suspention,

I changed my shock spring for a much more heavy weight spring as the stock spring from the MV F4 shock was being totally over-powered.

Beefy.

And I got my home-brew ride-height adjuster installed, from this:

To this:

Easy to install but left-hand screws are really weird, goes against nature I tells ye!

Cookie2000ad is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Cookie2000ad
Back from Oz!

Alrighty! Well I got some time with the tools at work today. I'm very exited about this as it's a part I've been sitting on for a while! (Pun intended)

I'm going to skip out of work early tomorrow to get it fitted. Pics tomorrow, for now here's a teaser!

These people High Fived Cookie2000ad!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Cookie2000ad
Back from Oz!

I came up with this design ages ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie2000ad View Post
I also started working out my subframe using the spare frame I bought (that's going to come in handy for forks too I suspect). So I drew this:

No, it's not some juvenile toilet-stall scribbling, get your mind out of the gutter. It's a rough template for an adapter plate. It'll look better in Alu plate I promise.
That got made into this:

Which finally means I can fit my new subframe:

The seat itself is going to need some tweaking but I'm pretty happy with it!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
Cookie2000ad
Back from Oz!

The girlfriend has been away for a couple of days so I used the chance to finish getting my upper triple clamp ready for risers and painted (inside the apartment - ssshhh, don't tell her!)

I got these ZX9R fork clamps that had been drilled but not reinforced so I've tried to make them a bit tougher:

Also, my Renthal bars arrived today, cue much running around going BRRrrraaaaappPP!

I always planned on dirt bars but at the last minute I changed my mind to flat bars, I think it was a good choice, I like the feel. Looking forward to getting them on the bike and seeing how the riding position works out.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Cookie2000ad
Back from Oz!

Got a bit of work done today:

Cleaned up my calipers (675 Daytona)

They're going to need new pads....

I've also changed my brake discs to 675 items too, from this:

To these wave ones:

They are 310mm radius rather than 320mm so I won't need risers for the calipers, also they have a couple of mm less stand-out:

Which lines up nicely for the fork spacing I get from my ZX9R triple clamps.

Made a new bearing spacer for the smaller dia axle and bearings from my Yami forks:

Sorted out my steering stops by drilling and tapping the frame for bolts and lock nuts:

Got my replacement steering stem bearings in too which means I could get this in before I called it a day:

Hopefully I can get wheels, calipers, controls all sorted in the next day or so!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Cookie2000ad
Back from Oz!
Cool Re: Cookie's VTR1000 BUILD - "Persuasion Engineering"

BOOM

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
Cookie2000ad
Back from Oz!

Controls etc bolted to the bars, screws & bolts upgraded to stainless:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
Cookie2000ad
Back from Oz!

I spent most of yesterday cleaning and photographing parts to list on ebay as my "budget" for this build has just about run dry. Hopefully some of the OEM parts can start paying me back.

Got some work done today though! As I mentioned here:

http://www.customfighters.com/forums...t=75074&page=5

I'd re-looked at how i'd put together my VFR800 swingarm / Triumph Axle. As you can see here, I had to put a spacer inside the hub to shunt out the axle so that some of the bolts didn't catch on the edge of the Honda eccentric hub. I've now been able to take this off. I countersunk the bolt holes and used new flat headed bolts Which gives me the MkII spindle:

This gives the needed clearance:

Removing this spacer has quite a few benefits:

It means that the sprocket/cush can get onto more of the length of the teeth:

Also, previously I had to shim out the caliper with a pair of washers and the wheel was slightly off-centre to the right. This has now fixed both of these issues so i'm very happy.

While I had the wheel off I took the arm out and sorted out the routing of the rear brake line. I drilled out an existing hole:

And threaded a long braided line through:

The hole is a bit raggedy right now but I haven't decided on the finish for the arm yet, when I do i'll tidy that up too. Anyway, Bish-bash-bosh:

It looks like it's pulled tight in that picture, I really isn't.

Which all done, pretty much leaves the bike looking the same! But I know there have been some big improvements in the design so it's been a pretty satisfying day.

Next up will be thinking about where i'm going to be stashing battery, electrics etc. I had thought about putting pod filters on and using the airbox space but damn, this bike has a tiny airbox!

And it's got all sorts of junk in there..... So for now i'll be presuming most stuff will have to go under the seat. I'll start making templates out of cornflake boxes next weekend. I can't really afford to get any more materials until pay-day but when I do, heat reflective cloth, alu sheet and some pop-rivets should see the job done for the most part. Tune in next time for another exciting instalment of "Persuasion Engineering"!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Cookie2000ad
Back from Oz!

Bleg. I was a bit slow getting to the garage today since it was "the day after the night before". When I got there I mocked up the exhaust can:

And started making card panels for the underseat tray:

It doesn't look like much but it was a pretty slow process! I'll try and get it finished tomorrow so that I can get materials ordered.

I've been contemplating a Ballistic battery but I made a mock-up of the dimensions of a 12 cell and there really isn't much in it:

So i'll consider it but not sure at all...
These people High Fived Cookie2000ad!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2014 Winter Build Off > 2014 Build Threads