'90 1127 cafe build - Page 5 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > '90 1127 cafe build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-31-2014, 07:14 AM   #41
dc1989
GURU
Senior Fighterer
Local Time: 02:40 AM
Flip Offs: 21
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
dc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: '90 1127 cafe build

yeah, I don't understand why everybody thinks that putting newer parts on older bikes, means that you need fancy parts machined from billet alu.....its a waste of time and money.

generally, if you have the frame for one of these old bikes, you have the swingarm too.....even if not, they are so common and cheap (and also crap by todays standards of looks) so it would be stupid to not re-use perfectly good parts, and have new ones machined.
my old slingshot arm went to scrap after I salvaged all the bearings, sleeve and spacers out of it.

ive seen also that people have been stuck for a way to get the extra spacing for the shock mount.....somehow, I didn't need any extra spacing on mine, not sure how that worked out.....but, while I am having one machined (a friend is doing it for free) I did make a temporary one from steel, and theres nothing wrong with making a new mount from steel.....its easy to get the material and any decent welder can weld the tabs for the shock to sit inside, in their sleep really....
all the mount is really, is a flat plate where it mounts to the frame, with 2 tabs sticking out for the shock to sit inside and be bolted to.....and steel is more than strong enough......we just used the standard mount as a template and made the tabs an inch longer than stock, welded it up and braced the top of it.....took 20 mins and cost me 10
dc1989 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived dc1989!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #42
dc1989
GURU
Senior Fighterer
dc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to beholddc1989 is a splendid one to behold

ugh, we have yet another problem with parts I got with this frame.....

the engine mounting bolts are mostly hand made....and most are either too long or too short, and just aren't gonna work at all.

im guessing the mounting bolts from bandits, katanas, and so on are all the same, so will get hold of a set soon as I can.

but, main thing......does anybody have some pics of the engine mounted in the frame, where I can see which mount plates go where, what bolts go where, etc.....
I took the engine out in a rush, without getting good pics or remembering where anything went and now that's biting me in the arse.

the frame isn't really ready for the engine yet anyway, so I guess its not too bad.....the scratches are just too bad all over it, and I really need to do the sanding and smoothing with the frame empty

ive got like, $35 to last me over a week yet, so cant even afford to do anything at the moment, looks like i'll have to find something to sell that Im not gonna use so I can get the frame sorted and get the new engine bolts
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #43
dc1989
GURU
Senior Fighterer

could anybody with a slingshot/bandit/katana please help me out with some bolt specs?
I need the lengths for the 2 long engine mounting bolts, so I can get some replacement ones and finally get the thing in the frame, which is now gonna definitely just be sanded and brushed and left like that.

the other bolt I need the spec of, which might be slingshot only here.....is the bolt that holds the shock linkage to the frame.
they are the last bolts needed to get the rolling chassis done with the engine in.

for now, im gonna have to borrow some standard coils just to get it running.
I can kinda live with that.....but, to keep progress going, for literally no money.....im gonna have to just clear over the rusty subframe to protect it further until I can get it powder coated, its not ideal of course, but its gotta be done.
the wheels have also gotta stay multi coloured, and the bodywork will be left as is for now too.

if anybody could give me them engine mounting bolt sizes, that would be really appreciated. even if you can just tell me the correct length for them, that would be a big help...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-14-2014, 06:24 PM   #44
ultimate fighter
Remi's Dad
ultimate fighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:40 PM
Flip Offs: 1,427
Flipped Off 875 Times in 399 Posts
ultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympus
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

I've got a few gsxr motors laying around.

UF's 2017 winter buildoff MOE POWA
talk about my junk
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
CB is cool as fuck , proper old skool kick your cunt in for looking at it funny
ultimate fighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived ultimate fighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #45
dc1989
GURU
Senior Fighterer

Would you be able to get the long mounting bolt sizes for me when you have a chance please. I'm hoping to get just these simple bits done this week. At least when the engine is in, I can get started on making the loom for it and give it a test run on standard coils/ old plugs.

At this point, I dunno if the clutch or gearbox even work, so just wanna get the engine in to do a few tests with it for now.

Thanks.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-15-2014, 04:23 AM   #46
rex_saugerty
V four honda whore
rex_saugerty's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 40 Times in 39 Posts
rex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Only weak people test the engine. Real brave guys assemble the bike and then tries to start it

1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0
rex_saugerty is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived rex_saugerty!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #47
HickLife
GURU

CF Addict
HickLife's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:40 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 10 Times in 9 Posts
HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!HickLife is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_saugerty View Post
Only weak people test the engine. Real brave guys assemble the bike and then tries to start it
definitely just added that to my sig.

Fallen angel build- http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=78474

96 vulcan 1500- http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=123177

Fallen Angel Build Off Thread- http://www.customfighters.com/forums...73#post2755273

Fallen Angel Build Off Discussion- http://www.customfighters.com/forums...89#post2755289

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_saugerty View Post
HickLife is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived HickLife!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #48
dc1989
GURU
Senior Fighterer

The bike is gonna be fully assembled.....just not with all of its proper parts yet, itll have to be started on standard coils and a few other standard parts until.i have the money to put the better bits on.

There's a lot of upgrade parts going on and in the engine, but I have to know if the thing actually runs first....this bike has been sat in a garage in bits for 15 years, and this isn't the bikes standard engine.

Im not going anywhere on it until ive set it up properly and made sure its all safe, and it cant be test rode until it is finished properly....its not legal at the moment.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-16-2014, 03:51 AM   #49
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Jackstand Johnny's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:40 PM
Flip Offs: 321
Flipped Off 209 Times in 127 Posts
Jackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loser

Hey man I can get some pics of the engine mounted in the frame if you still need them. Also I'm parting my project out if you want some killer parts. Complete plug and play flatslide carb kit with cables, pods, bar housings etc. I've also got a jerker header that was cal garded way back in the day, Dyna 2000 ignition coils, badass KTM rc8r headlight and an lsl urban mt-01 style headlight...the list goes on and on dude.

I bneed to make room and scare up cash for this 76 Harley FLH police sidecar bike that just fell on me.
Jackstand Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #50
dc1989
GURU
Senior Fighterer

Hey, yeah could you get the pics of the engine mounted please.
Just need to see where the spacer goes mainly on the rear.
Ive gotta get some new engine bolts and a few new ones for the shock linkage that are a higher strength and more suitable for the bike.....but the engine should be in this week.

Gonna borrow some standard coils for now to just get it running and modify the loom to fit the bike properly with the new subframe and bits in their new places.
Once ive got it running, I might just leave it to look a mess cosmetically for now and just get it all legal and have a play around on it.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes