venturesomerite's - Coffee Pot - Gen 1 Virago- Build - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > venturesomerite's - Coffee Pot - Gen 1 Virago- Build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
venturesomerite
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)

CF Addict
venturesomerite's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:29 AM
Flip Offs: 6
Flipped Off 4 Times in 3 Posts
venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default venturesomerite's - Coffee Pot - Gen 1 Virago- Build

So this is a little pre emptive, but I am starting this bad boy for my next build, after Uglier Betty. Getting the bike for free from a friend, and needless to say, it desperately needs some love as it was beat with an ugly stick. Lol, bad part is that I beat it. I had done some work, NOT TO MY TASTE, for a my friend. Long story short, it has sat for like 3 years with out ever being ridden, and now I'm gonna fucking turn it's world upside down.

Starting with a 1983 Virago shaftie 920. It's getting the Cafe treatment. Never built a cafe before, so well see where this goes.

In keeping with tradition for anyone who has seen my builds, I have absolutely no plan, and will likely jump all the fuck around and end up with who knows what.
Ideas that are floating around in my head are: either gold USD front, or Rear tire conversion on stock forks. No fenders, clip ons under top tripple, big round headlight (have one from a buell I might use), new sub frame, small seat with a tiny bump/round tail, Single flatslide carb to feed both cyls, rear sets basically where the passenger pegs are, custom exhaust, convert the starter system to the new style that doesn't sound quite so much like gravel in a blender, and who knows what other shit I'll come up with.

The build will start whenever my lift is empty of Uglier Betty....or not.

EDIT: not this bike, but this is what it looked like before I changed it up for my buddy.

And for those who don't know, this is what "cycom" looked like, biggest POS ever honestly.

Here's the only pictures I have of it right now.

~~~Brian

*** Sorry, had all my pics hosted on photobucket and they turned out to be a greedy cunt. Working on getting them all hosted elsewhere, and slowly fixing 5 billion pictures.

Uglier Better - 1996 Suzuki Katana 600 that wants to be a Gixxer

Coffee Pot - 1983 Yamaha Virago 920 - A cafe build on the super duper cheap.
venturesomerite is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived venturesomerite!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
Underachiever
Isn't as dumb as he seems
Senior Fighterer
Underachiever's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:29 AM
Flip Offs: 4
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
Underachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant future
Default Re: venturesomerite's - Coffee Pot - Gen 1 Virago- Build

Are you naming this one Ugliest Betty, haha?
I like Viragos a lot... The V-twin has lots of potential for cafe builds.
I think gold USDs would look nice on it. Gold or black.
Spoked wheels would look badass, too. Just a thought.

Please tell me the tiny headlight will be the first thing to go though, lol.

TOTAL noob... To riding and here.
-Curvy Ratty Fighter: Beat to hell 2001 SV650 Naked
-Crusty: 1986 Yamaha Radian "cafeish" project
-1966 Ford Galaxie coupe
-1995 Jeep Cherokee

Sold:
-1976 Formula 255 cabin cruiser with twin 351 Windsors
Underachiever is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Underachiever!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #3
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Those Viragos. Upholstery by Lazy boy.

Subbed.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
sebwiers
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ

CF Pimp
sebwiers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 21
Flipped Off 36 Times in 19 Posts
sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Before the XJ fell in my lap, I was looking to get a virago 920 for a Hossack build. Would still love to try it; full custom frame, use the engine to directly mount the front control arms on, John Britten style.
sebwiers is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived sebwiers!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
venturesomerite

CF Addict
venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underachiever View Post
Are you naming this one Ugliest Betty, haha?
I like Viragos a lot... The V-twin has lots of potential for cafe builds.
I think gold USDs would look nice on it. Gold or black.
Spoked wheels would look badass, too. Just a thought.

Please tell me the tiny headlight will be the first thing to go though, lol.

Not one for reading, huh? lol

That head light is actually EXACTLY the same one as is on UB. I would love to go with gold forks, I do have a set of USD blue gixxers that I could use, but all I have is the fork tubes, nothing else. Everything else went on UB. Going with a big round bobber/cafe style light. I fucking LOVE spokes, but only if they were cheap or fell in my lap. I think there's a few years of Yammys that I could steal spokers from, but I'll have to research that when time comes.

This guy is a "hiding it at the shop so the wife doesn't know about it" kinda build. She knobs about UB, but maybe not how much I actually paid for the parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturesomerite View Post

In keeping with tradition for anyone who has seen my builds, I have absolutely no plan, and will likely jump all the fuck around and end up with who knows what.
Ideas that are floating around in my head are: either gold USD front, or Rear tire conversion on stock forks. No fenders, clip ons under top tripple, big round headlight (have one from a buell I might use), new sub frame, small seat with a tiny bump/round tail, Single flatslide carb to feed both cyls, rear sets basically where the passenger pegs are, custom exhaust, convert the starter system to the new style that doesn't sound quite so much like gravel in a blender, and who knows what other shit I'll come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebwiers View Post
Before the XJ fell in my lap, I was looking to get a virago 920 for a Hossack build. Would still love to try it; full custom frame, use the engine to directly mount the front control arms on, John Britten style.

I'd love to make a custom frame, but this guy is a low key build. Saving some pennies after this for a full on rigid frame bobber. No seat springs nothin, we're talking kidney killer build.

~~~Brian

*** Sorry, had all my pics hosted on photobucket and they turned out to be a greedy cunt. Working on getting them all hosted elsewhere, and slowly fixing 5 billion pictures.

venturesomerite is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
venturesomerite

CF Addict

Well, I was GONNA pick it up last sat, but Friday my tranny decided to die in my truck. Gonna try again next weekend, have to work this weekend.

~~~Brian

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #7
venturesomerite

CF Addict

Managed to pick up the bike today. Def needs some love. No start. Bad bat, pin holes in tank leaking, Front calipers were seized.

Man do I hate these bars.

Got this box of old parts, not that I think anything is going back on it.

And this box of parts. It's almost everything I need to convert to the newer starter system, so it might start instead of sounding like rocks in a blender.

~~~Brian

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Those are some stranger bars. Clip-on mini apes? The Japanese did some weird things in this era.lol.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #9
venturesomerite

CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Those are some stranger bars. Clip-on mini apes? The Japanese did some weird things in this era.lol.
The Japanese still do weird things

~~~Brian

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #10
venturesomerite

CF Addict

Got a lil bit of work done on her.

First thing I did was to see why the brakes were stuck. Master still works good. It was just some surface rust on the pistons. I took em all apart, cleaned out the little white spider webs balls (you all know them!) and just took some WD and emery to the rust, lube it all up and put it back together and bled. Working again.

After checking her out, the ignition went bad, so I popped in a spare one I had from a Zamboni 520. (yeah, who else has Zam parts on their build?) lol

For those unfamiliar with the sound of a original 81-83 Virago starter, Think of the sound your bike makes when you are standing still, rev the engine up a bunch and then SLOWLY start to depress the shifter without pulling in the clutch. That's basically what this bike sounds like stock. All of 'em. Yep. 84-? was a much better design, and then after that gen it was redesigned again. Don't know why they couldn't get a starter system right, but they definately fell real short.

So, knowing I had everything I needed sans a small cover and two bolts, I popped the side cover off and converted all the goodies to the newer starter system, oiled it up and no dice. BETTER, don't get me wrong. It doesn't sound like a bag of rocks any more, but the starter is just spinning, not turning anything. Took it all back apart, and it turns out the starter clutch is bad. Looks like a non OEM one is about 60 bucks. That, and a carb clean out and bat should have thing thing running.

~~~Brian

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes