1997 GSXR 750. Blackheart. - Page 24 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 1997 GSXR 750. Blackheart.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-06-2019, 02:29 AM   #231
Gixooligan
Visions of Grandeur
Fighterer
Gixooligan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:45 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
Gixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1997 GSXR 750. Blackheart.

I've been doing some more work. Most of the parts are now over at the powdercoaters. The frame should be finished over at the welder shortly, and that'll be sent straight over to powder as well. The powdercoaters are 2 weeks out right now, which gives me some time for the body and electrical work.

So I've been working on proximity keyless ignition. The module I'm using is actually intended for proximity unlocking of car doors, but can be converted to work for my purposes. This video has proved a great reference thus far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1vdho1gihU .

Here is the current state. It's almost done, I'm waiting on a few small connectors and a switch:

Also, I'm trying to wrap up the fab work on the tail, and get that ready to paint. I finished up the majority of the fiberglass and filler over the 4th:

And so I shot it with some etching primer to act as a guide coat. There are plenty of pinholes in there which need to be addressed still, but we're getting there:

So, we're really just down to small electrics and body work. I'm hoping the parts will be back in two weeks and at that point it'll be simple re-assembly.
Gixooligan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Gixooligan!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-21-2019, 05:53 PM   #232
Gixooligan
Visions of Grandeur
Fighterer
Gixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of light

Over two months, and barely anything has been done. This time it's not completely my fault; my welding shop took forever to get the frame done, but I got it back this past week, and it's looking good.

I had them remove the coolant tube hole on the side of the frame, remove the access holes at the back of the frame, and close up a bunch of the small holes at the front of the frame that the ram air tubes used to cover.

So on Monday it'll be off to the powdercoater with the frame and any remaining parts. Here's how she sits today

With the frame done, it'll be down to finishing the wireless start, finishing the paint on the tank/fender/tail, and final assembly.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-20-2019, 01:40 AM   #233
Gixooligan
Visions of Grandeur
Fighterer

It's almost a month later, and I can FINALLY get back to work on this. I got the frame back from powder on Friday; equipment issues pushed them back a week. At this point the riding season in Montana is more-or-less done, but at least I'll be good-to-go for spring.

On the plus side though, it looks fantastic; they did a great job. I'll be putting the engine in the frame tomorrow. I did pick up a scissor jack for the engine. Hopefully this will make the install a little simpler.

Picked up a bunch of new hardware as well, I'm trying to make hardware as consistent as possible.

I'm hoping to get it together quickly over the next week. I do need to finish up the keyless ignition still. The tires need to be replaced as well. I do need to finish up tank/tail paint and graphics. Otherwise we're in pretty good shape.
This user High Fived Gixooligan!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-20-2019, 05:53 AM   #234
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:45 PM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

drop the frame onto the engine,then add back and front ends,easy one man job
yantosh is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #235
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Mongoose's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:45 PM
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

yeah.. that sounds easier than the way i do it lol
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-21-2019, 04:10 AM   #236
Gixooligan
Visions of Grandeur
Fighterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
drop the frame onto the engine,then add back and front ends,easy one man job
Yessir, that's how I did it. Worked perfectly. No pictures, but as of right now I have the frame on the engine. I think I will be removing it again as I'm doing a little adjustment on my mounts, but I expect to have the front, rear, and subframe shortly as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
yeah.. that sounds easier than the way i do it lol
Generally I've been dropping the engine out from under the frame... which I don't like, though that little scissor lift I picked up will definitely make it easier to do that in the future.

So excited; the powder looks really killer. I can't wait to see it against the new paint on the tank.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #237
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Mongoose's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:45 PM
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Yeah i just pivot it in and out on the rear mount...
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Mongoose!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-27-2019, 01:29 AM   #238
Gixooligan
Visions of Grandeur
Fighterer

Discovered that I'm mysteriously missing some hardware this evening as I started re-assembly. No worries; going back to the hardware store tomorrow.

One of the issues that I had yet to address when I sent everything out for powder was the mounting of my battery box. There isn't a lot of room under the tank, but I discovered that by laying the battery back at an angle I had just enough room down there. I went ahead an drilled by mount points, and here's how it lays:

I'll need to add some padding to the box and the battery to keep it from rubbing the tank. It's also going to be a pain in the ass to get to the battery with a tender, so I've been kicking around the idea of doing a remote charging port.

With this hurdle out of the way, I was able to attach the frame to the engine, and I put the swingarm in for shits and giggles.

With the hardware I need, tomorrow the goal is to get it back to a place where I can put the bike on the paddock stands.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #239
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 10:45 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Looking good in black.

Often gets forgotten to leave some bare metal between frame and engine for earthing. Worth checking at this stage

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-28-2019, 12:31 AM   #240
Gixooligan
Visions of Grandeur
Fighterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
Looking good in black.

Often gets forgotten to leave some bare metal between frame and engine for earthing. Worth checking at this stage
Good looking out! I'll make sure to do that.

A little more progress this evening. I realized I forgot to put the chain guide on, so I'll need to pull the swingarm back out real quick.

On of the few pieces that I didn't have powdered was my lower triple. After cleaning it up, the paint on there looks like crap, so I'm going to sand that down and re-paint it. I also need to re-do the fork covers; way back when I first got them, Ace Hardware cut them for me. Unfortunately their cutter squished the ends a bit, and that gives it kind of a weird look. I've been considering replacing them with delrin tube to eliminate the chance that they'll rattle.

Otherwise, progress is great. I'm extremely happy with the finish on the parts. My new hardware matches far better than the old. Everything is going together cleanly; no major concerns with fouling at this point.

The goal by next weekend is to have the frontend back on.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes