Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

SV1000Reptilia

23K views 200 replies 22 participants last post by  stuarty 
#1 ·
Hello to all!

It's time to make a build thread for my sv and start working on her.
I have this bike almost two years and I love her. It's my commuter, my daily ride and I had some good time twisting at the curvy roads on the mountains.

A quick intro before the build begins.
I've bought her like that for 1000 euros. Everything was stok on the bike but not in good condition

The magnets of the flywheel was unstuck. Something usual for a sv and the forks was leaking.
She had some cracks at the front fairings and tail and a dent on the tank
Bonded the magnets and did a frond end swap to gsxr K9 750 forks, triple tree and K3 1000 calipers. Bought two Sebring short cans and that's where
I stoped.

After that I was triyng to find some time to fix the cracked fairings and paind her but I didnt make it until now.

Bought an almost complete panigale tail and tail lights with integrated indicators since last year for this build

A fork cap and a pair fork tubes to replace mine. The forks are straight but with a big dent. It's fuctional and it was very cheap to pass

So I removed the front fairings and tail

And did a mockup so I can see how is that tail on her. Finaly after one year since I've bought it.
The XT retro it's looking. I think she is jealous :D

I need a headlight and start to make a subframe.
I've already ordered a Z1000 2014 cowl but I can't find any headlight at a decent price anywere.
If someone have or find one for selling please let me know.
So here is the cowl

And because I don't want to try to make a subframe that is going to be durable and heavy,
I will buy a stok subframe and modify the front section to bolt it on my frame.

That's all for now. If you make it to read all this, well thank you!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you sir!
That's exactly I was thinking to do. I need to get the cowl at my hands to measure it so I can order a pair of projectors.
The smaller I've found is 2.5". Unfortunately the estimated arrival date is early November by early December for the cowl.
Until tomorrow I will order the subframe. I expecting to arrive in 2 - 3 weeks.
That's the only part of a build I hate most. The prices here at Greece are insane for early models even at the used parts.
The impatience is all over me too, to start DW on that bike.
I should buy a seal kit for the forks to keep me busy for the next days

#4 ·
Ok the payday came one day earlier and the subframe now it's mine!
I had to buy the seat latch and the rubber part that fits under the seat. I have no idea the name of that, I coulden't find anything at the Ducati parts catalog.
The rear seat tray will go to the bin cause I already have it.
Anyway the puzzle will be complete once I get those parts at my hands

#26 ·
The rear seat tray will go to the bin cause I already have it.
Have you binned this bit yet? I'll buy it off ya if not.

#6 ·
The mailman came today and got me the fork rebuild kit from all balls I've ordered. Bought some putoline 5W fork oil and took from the drawer my special tool to compress the fork springs :D

Lift her on the paddock stands to start do some work

And the spring compression tool in action

This is the fork cap I've bought and the old fork cap

Fited the seals, outer tube and measured the oil in the forks

And here are finished and ready to fit

I sould buy an other one fork cap to change both caps. I might do it before the built finish...

The subframe arriver to Greece yesterday. That was super fast!
The package was at the customs office. They told me to send the receipt of it, for the customs clearance. Sent it right away so I believe I should have it at Tuesday at my door.

#8 ·
Thank you bilou!
The subframe arrived. Man how thin are the walls of it! And it suppose that it have a passenger seat...
Anyway the fitmend is going to be tricky. I knew that it won't fit at all and cut and welding was the only way, but those thin walls...
I will visit my welder and shere my thoghts.
I will try to upload some pics later

#10 ·
cast aluminum will likely be difficult to weld, too

#11 ·
That's what I had hear about cast aluminium. When my welder weld the subframe of the XT retro, I did ask him if it's possible to weld for me a cast aluminium subframe and ride the bike safely with a passenger on it, he told me that he could. Tomorow I will show it to him and find out if it's possible. I would like to hear your opinion too, about that mater.

Could you make an adapter out of steel so that you don’t need to weld to it ?
That could work to the bottom bracket, but the upper is way off.

This is how the subframe sit on the frame right now

I want to cut and weld new brackets to the upper section. My main concern is that the walls of the subframe are too thin. It's 3mm thick and at some points 4mm.
Some guys in here are very good welders. I would like to hear your opinions about it, is it a good idea to go for it?

#12 ·
oh, 3-4mm isn't that thin. I think my subframe is 3/4" .120 (19mm x 3mm).

#13 ·
That's hopeful Junkie.

I just came back from the welder. He said that is doable to weld the brackets and have a safe result by adding some reinforcement from the inside of the walls.
I'm a litle bit nervus about it tbh. I am not 100% confident with that solution.
I mean I trust my welder. He wouldn't say that he could if he couldn't.
Some other ideas are spinning in my head right now but it's in very early stage.

#15 ·
there are a couple issues:

one, cast is fairly dirt so it's hard to weld well. the fact that it's powdercoated means it's even harder to get clean.

second, even done perfectly the welding weakens aluminum quite a bit.

#19 ·
Build one from scratch is one of my thoghts.
An other is to build a tank from scratch and make an aluminium adapter to fit the subframe.

In my early plans, a fuel tank in the suframe and a fiberglass tank cover at the original place was included.
I want to shave some weight but, that subframe change a litle bit my plans.

I'm working on it and I'm going to fit that fooking panigale tail

#23 ·
In my early plans, a fuel tank in the suframe and a fiberglass tank cover at the original place was included.
I want to shave some weight but, that subframe change a litle bit my plans.

I'm working on it and I'm going to fit that fooking panigale tail
690/701 fuel cell is the subframe, not a bad price if you could find one would make an intresting addition but not sure how you would work the tail unit over it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-690-...112701?hash=item288650793d:g:IigAAOSwTm1dlgQH

Reactions: RS_Raz and Leroy
#24 ·
I have already decided to built a subframe from scratch. The plan is to build the fuell tank in it.
Of course that depending fron the volume of the tank, that it could fit in there.
I'm aiming for a tank with 10+ liters. Anything else with a smaler volume it won't work for me.
Of course every idea is welcome cause it will help me a lot. Thank you titan

#27 ·
Also on the subject of Pani subframes.
The 1199/1299 subby is cast alum, while the 899/959 versions are tubular steel at the cost of a few lbs.
There are also tubular alum as well as carbon versions available aftermarket.
In your application they're all interchangeable... if you for some reason end up using a Pani tank, you'll need the appropriate tank mount bracket to match the version the subframe is from. The baby Pani tanks are steel instead of alum and 1/3 or less the cost. 899/959 specific stuff is always going to be cheaper than 1199/1299 parts, bear this in mind when parts shopping.

#29 ·
Thanks man! Broke one of the fairing mounting tabs on mine in that crash a couple weeks ago.

Been a while since I looked but IIRC steel subframe is 7.75lbs, cast alum is a little over 4.

#32 ·
Ok here we go again with a subframe from 899 this time. The reason I've choose to buy this and not build one, is that I'm not sure If I can make it lighter from the OEM. It's a litle complex. Doable to build but complex enough, to give all the efort and money and stay with a heavier subframe at the end.
So 899 subframe it is and the 1199 one is on ebay for selling. I should have it next week.

#35 ·
Today I received the subframe. I just had to weigh it.
SV complete tail 10.145 Kg (22.365 pounds)
Panigale complete tail 6.015Kg (13,260 pounds)

Choped litle by litle

Test fit

Bent some tubes

An did a mock up to see how it looks. Sit back, check the angles and give it a look.
It locked good to me. Small, clean. A big smile pop out of my face

But then again, it doesn't looks strong enough to handle the weight of a rear passenger

I had to move the tubes a litle more to the end. It might give me some space to fit the fuell tank in it.
Pretty much this is how the lower tubes will support the subframe.
I will place them between the front and rear seat.
It's temporary. I will buy some squear tube to match it with the frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.