Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Eeeeeeeeee FE

70K views 778 replies 34 participants last post by  CK 187 
#1 ·
watch this space :)

#326 ·
did a dry build of the motor in frame today, so i could work out if all was going to fit where it was planned and where i was going to route the hoses.

all went together surprisingly well,*with very little need for adjustments to mounts and brackets.

tight between fan and head, had to wiggle the fan a bit to get it in with the motor in situ. but it went in in the end with no damage.

fitted the rest of the motor with the carbs too, then attempted to fit side panels! as you can see the right hand one fits no probs, problem was with the other side where the carbs have the side cam operation, i had thought this might be a problem, i will sort it by fitting the center cam*operation carbs off the GS and fit these side operation ones on to it. only other problem was the head cooler bar at the rear of the head being too wide and catching the tank! i have two options with it, one is to cut it down and fit an adapter, two is to fit a modified Torques top oiler set up.

#328 ·
this is why i get lots of enjoyment from building/modification, today i had a sit and think about the tank/oil bar interface problem, seems the end of the bar where the hose adapter fits sticks out too far when fitted under the GSX tank, must be more clearance with the GSXR one!

so on with the thinking cap and off to the bike with oil bar in hand, after a short amount of time a plan has been sorted.

going to cut the end off the bar (yellow line), drill tap and plug it.

then drill tap and fit AN6 adapter to allow the 90deg hose*fitting* to sit on top of bar and sit under the frame rail out of the way of the tank, it will also have the added bonus of allowing a better path for the hose to the head cooler outlet.

at the same time i had a look at the head cooler inlet hose and fittings, hose will clear all obstructions (carbs) and will have a clean line to the inlet whilst being hidden under the tank.

#329 ·
i now have the new 130Nm rear shock spring fitted, re assembled it all and re set all the damping adjusters,

with the weight of the motor and carbs, it feels 1000% better, much more "give" with better sag.

will need a bit more fiddling and dialing in once on the road, though it is in a much better place as of this moment, than it was with the 140Nm spring fitted before.

#330 ·
bits for oil bar now on order, so i went to work on doing the start work, chopped the end off, tapped it out, then drilled top ready for tapping.

tank now clears oil bar with plenty of room to spare.

its only the throttle actuator on the left of the carbs that is keeping the tank from sitting correctly, only by about 5-7mm, but that is too much.

going to see if i can get the carbs re set to center operation.

other than that carbs sit in under the tank well.

#336 ·
well as i have said in the past already, i am going to have to change the throttle actuator cam on the carbs from L/hand operation, to center. i contacted Allens Performance and asked about getting it done by them, they were happy to take the job on, although it might take a while as the guy that does their machining is not in work at the moment due to covid distancing!

i went onto the web, did lots of searches, found all the bits i would need for doing the job myself, but they were all on Japanese web sites, with no overseas postage!

i then contacted Performance Spares (Yoshimura UK importers) asked about bits, they said they will contact the factory and get back to me.

Engine Auto part Carburetor Automotive engine part Vehicle

#342 ·
been doing a few small bits and bobs over the last few days, got some more parts through that were ordered a week ago, had a play with the Gilles adjustable pillion pegs, needed to mod the

hanger a bit and add a small plate to each to make them level but they seem to do the job and Avril is happy with the seating position, one thing that has shown up from having Avril sit on the back is that it will require the addition of some more preload to the shock spring so it wont have so much sag with a pillion.

to this end i have arranged to visit Neil at SNT Race Engineering tomorrow to get him*to do the required work with his*spring compressor rig.

#343 ·
productive trip down to SNT Race Engineering, besides getting Neil to sort the preload on my shock spring ( now spot on) i had a look round both their XR69 race bikes that were up on the work benches, cant beat being nosy now can you? they are works of art,

talked some more about their billet GSXR clutch baskets, rude not too whilst there!

fell in love with their oil breather catch cans, now waiting on a price for one :)

#346 ·
due to the fact that i have had to remove the original frame cross brace to allow me to get header clearance, I have come up with the idea of fitting a cross brace just like

the one fitted to the stock bandit, ie it is a tube that fits between the two front engine mounts, my idea will almost certainly get me a shit load of feedback (mostly negative i expect lol)

i will be fitting a Ti tube between the new front engine mounting plates

then drilling the side plates and securing the tube with two Ti bolts through the middle of tube, so it is easy to remove and re fit*

when needed.

#347 ·
as the weather was so warm and dry i dragged her out of the shed for some pics to check the stance with my fat ass aboard!! this is with no extra preload added on to*the pre load adjuster. so have a full adjusters worth for pillion and luggage if and when required.

So for all the nay Sayers out there, who said she is too tail high, she has turned out to have exactly the stance and geometry i wanted and had pictured in my head from the start, and as you can all see from the pics my feet are planted firmly on the floor, long legs do help some times.

#350 ·
few years ago i tried to get myself a FBM billet block for my GS build, but when i contacted FBM to try and get a price, I was told they weren't going to be making any more.

so i forgot all about them, i still want the look of the "fat fins" that they gave, so i have had the measure out and done a quick calculation, seems that if i get 6mm grooves between 6mm fins the block will look identical to the FBM one i like (pic below)

will now have to ask around all the places i know doing milling work for a price on the job*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.