Chance's Progress Thread - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Chance's Progress Thread

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-28-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
chance
wtf?
CF Addict
chance's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:10 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
chance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to all
Default Chance's Progress Thread

Disclaimer: This isnt going to be a full on build. I will eventually get another bike for that later. This is just to show what the bike was when I got it, things ive done, discuss ideas and plans and all that fun stuff

I got my background riding dirt. I have been riding this wicked little machine for a few years before i was able to get a street bike. excuse the gay chrome thug wheels on the truck. they have since been replaced.
My GasGas ec250

Was getting pretty good from riding several times a week, and almost every day during the summers.

got bored one day and tore into the motor. put in new piston, rings pin and needle bearing.

Was getting pretty good at wheelies and stoppies when we found a nice, closed off from the road parking lot. our own stunt spot. then i looped a standing wheelie
one month, 350 bucks later, I was able to fix this little issue

the GasGas is loads of fun. comes from the factory with top notch bits, like the Ohlins forks and shock!

I decided i had to have a streetbike, but money was pretty tight. I scoured craigslist every day looking for the right deal. then I came across this.

1991 suzuki bandit 400. I thought it was a sick looking little bike. It wasnt in running condition, but the lights worked and it turned over with the starter. I snatched it up for $325.
I had some serious fighter plans for this bike. But I had to get it running first. My diagnosis revealed that the bike had no spark. Researched the interwebz and found out that these bikes are notorious for CDI units failing (and gummed up carbs). So 275 bucks later, I have a new reproduction CDI in my hands. Pop it in the bike, no fire. WTF. weeks of diagnosis follow. I checked every sensor and connection that I could even imagine had any part of the ignition system with a multi meter.
Finally I had to releive some stress by doing something constuctive. So I fabbed up a little shorty exhaust.

Well, making the exhaust, and looking at different tails for the bike made me really anxious to get her fired up. 500 dollars worth of electrical components and diagnosis by 2 different shops proved nothing. I even replaced the entire main wiring harness. I think that alone took me 6 hours straight

Well, the time came to make the decision. keep dumping money into it, or cut my losses. I sold her for 550 bucks.

I could not shake the bike fever though. months of searching and saving up cash. I loved the naked bikes, but most of them were newer and I couldnt afford them. Then I cam across the kawasaki Z1000. I had to have one.

Couple of pics from the auction. yes, as in ebay. Theres not many of these bikes around, and this one looked to be very well taken care of and nicely equipped. I knew i had to have it. even if a 1000 was going to be my first street bike.
chance is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived chance!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-28-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
chance
wtf?
CF Addict
chance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to allchance is a name known to all
Default Re: Chance's Progress Thread

It just really doesnt get much cleaner than that. She had 12k miles on her.

She came with:
-Full 4-2-1 Leo Vince exhaust with Ti Can
-2005 ZX6r Suspension
-HEL Braided Lines
-HyperProRSC Steering Damper
-Pazzo Levers
-Sliders, Spools, front and rear stands
-PC3 with custom map
-Modified aribox and pair valve delete
I think there were a few more small things too. He said that it dynod at 141hp

I was too busy riding it to really modify anything on it for the first month or two. I seemed to rack up 2000 miles in the first month and a half

Heres a quick exhaust clip

But I hated the red wheel stripes. they had to go. and boy were they a royal bitch to get off...
While i was at it, I had a can of Black-It-Out sitting on the shelf beggin to be used. so I hit a few small parts with it. Those parts include front fender bolts, radiator shrouds, and the throttle body covers.
End result.

I also added some LED bolts to the fender eliminator to light up the plate. I do a lot of riding at night and I dont want the local PD bitchin about stuff like that.

While I was doing the painting and removing the wheel stripes, i was downing an orange Monster Energy drink. Well, just let the next picture explain what happened.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-28-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
chance
wtf?
CF Addict

After a few months of riding, I met some local riders through a local forum. We scheduled a trip to the north georgia mountains. This pic was taken on Richard Russel Scenic Highway if i remember correctly.

I had an insane amount of fun blazin the hills

I loved the comfortable riding position. The 2 guys on the CBRs had to stop frequently to stretch while MagnetNerd and I felt like we could go all day on our "standard bikes"

But riding in the mountains, I felt like i wanted a slightly more aggressive riding position. I scored a drag bar, well actually 2, from cycle gear for 70 percent off! I put it on the bike as soon as I could and loved the new position and look. To get this bar on, I had to shove the forks down in the triples and lift the rear to match as the zx6r forks are longer than the z1000. this lifted the bike about an 1.25". Works well for me as im almost 6'2". it did take some experimenting to get the geometry back to normal. At first I put too many turns of preload in the shock and the rear end was crazy hard and steering was way too sharp. then I lowered it too much. I got it close to orignal now. but it still needs some professional tuning.

The only thing I dont like about this bar is the fact that I cant get my levers as low as I used to have them. The bar is a bit on the narrow side too.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-28-2010, 01:32 AM   #4
chance
wtf?
CF Addict

The progress slowed for a little while, as I had to put on a new tire and do some periodic maintence. But I was determined to make the bike sound better. I loved the way the leo sounded, but it wasnt loud enough.

I couldnt take a saw to the beautiful titanium can for fear of fucking it up.

So I scored a beat to hell polished stainless steel yoshi can off of god knows what. The inlet diameter was too big for the midpipe. But one trip to the autoparts stor got me an adapter that fit good enough.

so with the exhaust being able to mount nicely to the midpipe, i immediately hacked 10 inches of the can. here it the dented peice of shit i cut off

the can mounted up. I hadnt made the strap for the can at this point yet.

rear shot

I rode it like that for several weeks. I was trying to decide how to make it look better. I had to do something with it, because i hated the shinyness of it.

Picked up some high heat black paint and this is what I came up with.
I ground off the extra spring loop, painted both endcaps and both rivet straps black, and I hit the can with a rough scotch brite all in one direction to give it a nice brushed look. I think it turned out great!

Also, note the new tag bracket I came up with and made. It pivots when it slides along the hugger. should keep a nice, legal...... view of the plate at all times.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-28-2010, 01:39 AM   #5
Mack
est.1979
CF Lover
Mack's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Mack is a good noobieMack is a good noobieMack is a good noobie

the z1000 is just a sick ass machine...even a certain angel rides one.

1989 GSXR 750...Slingys be the best YES!
Turbo LSX Trans Am...The GRUDGE
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mack!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-28-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
chance
wtf?
CF Addict

The valve cover had an annoying leak. The motor was getting covered in grit an oil, it was dripping on the pipes causing smoke on start up, and just getting all over the bike while riding.

So i ordered new gaskets and tore into it.

While I had it all apart, I degreased and cleaned everything, changed the oil and filter, cleaned air filter, changed the coolant, and measured all the radiator hoses.

Why did I measure all the hoses you ask?
I have some plans to look into getting some clear ones made I cant decide if i want to run the green coolant, or dye it red
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-28-2010, 01:55 AM   #7
chance
wtf?
CF Addict

Next plans are:
-Bar end mirrors. (should be here within the next week)
-Get the suspension professionally set for me
-Powder coat all the silver to black
-zx10r rearsets
-lightly tint headlight and tail light
-clear radiator hoses
-renthal ultra low handlebar
-paint the bike

God knows when this shits going to get done, so i wouldnt hold your breathe
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-28-2010, 02:02 AM   #8
chance
wtf?
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
the z1000 is just a sick ass machine...even a certain angel rides one.
I have gotten so much inspiration from his build. Truly a master of his work. To Gavin!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
magnetnerd
THE HOOLIGAN SPIDERMONKEY
Fighterer
magnetnerd's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:10 PM
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
magnetnerd is really nicemagnetnerd is really nicemagnetnerd is really nicemagnetnerd is really nicemagnetnerd is really nicemagnetnerd is really nicemagnetnerd is really nice

POS leftover can? That's gonna be mine! haha.

Good writeup, maing.
magnetnerd is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
OneWheelSkillz
~Quick Learner~
Fighter
OneWheelSkillz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
OneWheelSkillz is a NOOB

Sick! i think the clear coolant hoses are gonna be the sh*t!! can't wait to see that.. btw i think you leave the coolant the original color cause neon green is pimp.. i think it'll offset the orange very well!

Seth Williams' R6S aka R"Sick"S Build:
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=30427
OneWheelSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived OneWheelSkillz!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes