Quick and possibly stupid suspension question - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion

General Streetfighter Discussion Discussions about streetfighter riding.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Quick and possibly stupid suspension question

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Jokermachine
Will have a bike... soon
Jokermachine's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:31 PM
Flip Offs: 9
Flipped Off 223 Times in 86 Posts
Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Quick and possibly stupid suspension question

Looking at the site, I have seen lots of people who jack up the rear suspension on their fighter by adding a longer shock. I am considering doing this, but I am worried a little bit by the possible geometry changes that this would incur... can anyone explain why this is done? How far up is safe? I know how to measure head angle, and I know that sharpening the head angle will cause the handling to get more abrupt, more jerky, but how much is acceptable?

Just want to bounce ideas off you guys. Thanks in advance for the wisdom.
Jokermachine is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
kwakanut
The Polish Prince

CF Lover
kwakanut's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:31 AM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 37 Times in 15 Posts
kwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to all
Default Re: Quick and possibly stupid suspension question

I think it is more likely that people are changing the seat unit and subframe so that the tail section sticks up higher. Generally people don't use longer shocks. Now they may add adjustable dog bones to change things up a bit, but usually the more radical ass in the air look comes from changing the subframe, not a longer shock.

Of course I could be wrong I suppose, but I'm sure others will jump in....

Credo quia absurdum est, baby.

Jokers to the left of me, clowns to the right....

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money.

If I wanted to lick a hippie I'd return Joan Baez's phone calls. - Jack Doneghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokermachine View Post
I don't remember why I forgot about it.
kwakanut is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Jokermachine
Will have a bike... soon
Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jokermachine is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Yeah, that was going to be my second guess... Guess I'm going to need to mess with my swingarm mount or my engine mounts in any case. That sucks.

I'll wait till someone else chimes in, but I'm not expecting much, now.
Jokermachine is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
n0regret5
Commander Cool
n0regret5's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:31 PM
Flip Offs: 488
Flipped Off 214 Times in 150 Posts
n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

i changed the length of the shocks on my GN because i needed quicker steering, generally the kicked-up tail is done with a different subframe.

it does change your steering dramatically, and depending on the bike and original specs, it can be quite dramatic.

what bike are you looking to do it to?

n0regret5 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
northamerican
Fighterer
northamerican's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 42 Times in 6 Posts
northamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nice

i have a 1/2" longer shock which relates to about 2" lift in the rear, I also cut and rewelded my subframe for an 1" more

live to mod..mod to live
northamerican is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
kwakanut
The Polish Prince

CF Lover
kwakanut's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 37 Times in 15 Posts
kwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to all

Why would you have to mess with motor mounts and such?

Credo quia absurdum est, baby.

Jokers to the left of me, clowns to the right....

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money.

If I wanted to lick a hippie I'd return Joan Baez's phone calls. - Jack Doneghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokermachine View Post
I don't remember why I forgot about it.
kwakanut is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
Fate
GURU of da poo poo
Flip Offs: 138
Flipped Off 106 Times in 61 Posts
Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

It's not "normal" to change the rear shock to raise the rear. People will add a better shock with more adjustability.

Why do so many people embrace mediocrity instead of seeking excellence?
Fate is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
Jokermachine
Will have a bike... soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakanut View Post
Why would you have to mess with motor mounts and such?
I was thinking of an easy way to compensate for the fact that I messed up setting up my engine mounts. They ended up a little bit too high, and the chain rubs on the swingarm at the bottom. Mounting a slightly longer shock would have rotated the swingarm down a little further, bringing the center of the countershaft, the center of the rear axle and the center of the swingarm pivot into a single line, meaning the chain would stop rubbing.

Yes, certainly a ghetto and roundabout fix, but I really didn't want to have to cut the engine mounts off and try again.

To the person asking what bike it is - it's a Yamaha YSR 50 midi-bike
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
northamerican
Fighterer
northamerican's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 42 Times in 6 Posts
northamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nicenorthamerican is really nice

get a chain roller made

live to mod..mod to live
northamerican is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
Jokermachine
Will have a bike... soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by northamerican View Post
get a chain roller made
Yep, Delrin idler wheel was my second choice. I don't remember why I forgot about it. Thanks!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion