First bike first project - 89 XJ600 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > First bike first project - 89 XJ600

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
ants
Legit goon

CF Addict
ants's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:01 AM
Flip Offs: 97
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default First bike first project - 89 XJ600

So. To start things off for those who don't know what you're dealing with here:
I'm an 18-year old highschooler from Estonia. That means that my budget is rather low
and its a bitch to get most of the parts out here.

My bike is an '89 Yamaha XJ600. I lack any skills whatsoever (wiring, mechanical etc). But I'm raging with hormones and got a boner for sweet looking 2-wheelers, so how bout you help me turn mine into one. Really eager to learn new stuff so anything that I could be able to do in the privacy of my own yard, I'd be more than happy to (with a detailed walkthrough, of course).

The last guy left me with an owner's manual but I've been told that's not enough so I'll be hunting for a Haynes and any other sorts of manuals I can get my hands on. Found this helpful site: http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp so currently downloading an 84-92 600 j, xj, fz, yx manual package and we'll see how that turns out.
Edit: I got my hands on a 251-paged repair manual. Hope that'll be enough, for it seems thorough.

Right. The bike has been in 2-3 crashes according to the last owner and the right side is a bit more affected by this. I got the bike in the start of July. Since then I've changed the oils, fuel in the tank and some filters. Got a new battery and new plugs. I also cleaned the carbs with the help of my dad's friend who is kind of a veteran but I wouldn't like to bother him much with my little problems in the future. Also sawed off the end of the clutch lever to match it with the front break lever (which probably deformed in one of those crashes) and managed to fix her a bellypan.

Step1: To tear down the cowling, change the headlight and flashers.
I ordered a round headlight, side-mountable brackets, 4 flashers and a led relay a week ago from Germany. They said it should take 'bout 3 (perhaps even 4) weeks to get here. I was planning on commuting the bike to school so I wouldn't want to get her naked before the new headlight unit is here with the other little bits.

Therefore, I don't think there's any real progress pics to come for the next week - atleast. Never the less, I was told to start this build thread for I was becoming sort of a spammer with all my inquirings in the beginner questions and the welcome thread.

I've been tossing around some thoughts on what to do with the rest of the bike. So here's the list of things that have been bugging me, but I haven't made up my mind about them just yet: gauges, bars & handles, tail and the paint. I've got a nice overall understanding of my options thanks to some helpful lads on this forum (All suggestions are ofcourse still warmly welcome!).

Bars
Haven't decided whether to go clip-ons, dirty bars or even flat drag bars (suggested by cbrrrt - cheers Jon). I'd definitely like to change my current ones because I don't like the riding position they offer. I'd like my hands to position a bit lower, level to the tank perhaps. Is there much of a difference in the feel while riding between these 3 types of bars? I've also been told that I might have to change my triples in order to put on new bars. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Not so sure but with the new bars it'll probably be best to change the levers and handles aswell, right? My clutch lever is loose (meaning I can move it up and down a bit more than I'd like to) and I've gone over the issue and there's not much to be done about it. Will there be any/a lot of wiring involved in replacing the handles and how big of a task is it? I'd also like to have metal grips. Anything I should know bout em or are they just the same as rubber grips?

Gauges
After I'm done changing the light I think this will be the next step. I'll try to change the angle on my current gauges for they'll remain too high ..I'm guessing. I might avoid getting new ones and try and work something out with the ones I have now - perhaps get some chrome back covers and just keep the tacho and speedo. I'd really love the classical/vintage looking gauges instead of the so popular digital ones.

Tail
Probably the part I can change the least atm and yet the one that would have (one of) the biggest affect on the overall look. At first I was thinking of chopping the tail and turning it into a cafe/bobber kind of a seat but thanks to Kaos I've realized the benefits of having a longer tail that I so badly need at the moment. So, is there any way I could perhaps make the tail-section a bit less "fat" ? (With minimal effort, of course, heh) I believe one of the ways would be to chop the tail frame (/sub frame?) and bolt on or weld a new slimmer tail frame (if I made any sense) ? Trouble with that though would be the availability of a new frame piece and my 0-access and skill to any welding equipment. I think the tail will just have to sit as it is for now until I gain some confidence. Perhaps I'll do something about it over the winter or in the early Spring.

Paint
Haven't looked too much into my options here but as far as my understanding goes, a quality paint has to have many coatings of it and a lot of prepping before the paint is applied? I might just rattle can something on it to make the bike look better at first
(as I understand many have done for their first bikes ) and then later when I've saved up
some take it to have it painted.

Almost forgot - the part I'm afraid most of is messing around with engine and anything performance-wise. Yet I'd love to keep her running smooth for years to come as I'm not planning on selling her any time soon (if she'll be in any state to sell after I'm done with her anyhow, lol). Are there any minor tweaks I could make/check up on to keep her at good health or should I have someone with more experience take a look at her goodies under the clothes?

Aaaaaaand finally some pics!

To sum things up:
1) Low budget, not much of an availability of parts.
2) Lack of skills but a hunger to learn!
3) Not really sure on my final concept of the bike but I'll work it out step-by-step.

----
PS! Sorry for my English and any grammar mistakes.

~Andrew
r.i.p.[||]
Normality is a waste of potential.
My slow-ass project: '89 Yamaha XJ600 the GOON

@Cookie2000ad:-------------------------------------------------------
| This is CF. If you file down a bolt we expect 10 photos and a video. |
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ants is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
ROBBO
MAJOR FOOKIN' CATASTROPHY
ROBBO's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:01 AM
Flip Offs: 643
Flipped Off 1,366 Times in 753 Posts
ROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month Default Medal Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: First bike first project - 89 XJ600

Brilliant first post write up Andy!

...ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL...
ROBBO' 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post

Fucking reaper better fear me.
ROBBO is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived ROBBO!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Shmitterton
Cant leave shit alone!
CF Addict
Shmitterton's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:01 AM
Flip Offs: 64
Flipped Off 20 Times in 12 Posts
Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

As long as you are willing to learn, there are many many many EXTREMELY knowledgable people here that on any given day will walk you through step by step to your goal. As long as you don't act like an ass you will be just fine. Great write up and good luck with the build.
Shmitterton is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Shmitterton!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
scarecrow01
durty south psychofighter
CF Addict
scarecrow01's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:01 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 3 Times in 1 Post
scarecrow01 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!scarecrow01 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!scarecrow01 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!scarecrow01 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!scarecrow01 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!scarecrow01 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!scarecrow01 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!scarecrow01 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!scarecrow01 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!scarecrow01 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!scarecrow01 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

ready to see this thing stripped down, do work. and good luck with the build, take your time and don't rush, everything will come to you in time
scarecrow01 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived scarecrow01!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
ants
Legit goon

CF Addict
ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Just noticed something weird whilst out riding today. I can remove the key from the bike's ignition while the bike is running. That shouldn't work that way, now should it? Are there any reasons why I should fix that asap or can I just keep it like that for now? Kinda cool to see the bike running without anything heh.

~Andrew
r.i.p.[||]

This user High Fived ants!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
fu_jac
Pueling Pueman
CF Addict
fu_jac's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:01 AM
Flip Offs: 124
Flipped Off 55 Times in 27 Posts
fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

My xj also did that, and I could start it with any key, or a screwdriver, or even a coin.....

Love these bikes, the engines are pretty much bomb proof....
fu_jac is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived fu_jac!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
ants
Legit goon

CF Addict

You gotta share all the nifty tricks with me now!! Make me your XJ-apprentice !

~Andrew
r.i.p.[||]

This user High Fived ants!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Jackstand Johnny's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 321
Flipped Off 209 Times in 127 Posts
Jackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ants View Post
Just noticed something weird whilst out riding today. I can remove the key from the bike's ignition while the bike is running. That shouldn't work that way, now should it? Are there any reasons why I should fix that asap or can I just keep it like that for now? Kinda cool to see the bike running without anything heh.
I could do that on my first bike, a GS500. Older bikes, after a while can run into that problem. The tumblers in the cylinder are wallered out like a loose snatch. Nothing too serious to worry about.
Jackstand Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Jackstand Johnny!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Jackstand Johnny's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 321
Flipped Off 209 Times in 127 Posts
Jackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loser

Oh I rip the plastics off this fuckin things and show us some pics dude!
Jackstand Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Jackstand Johnny!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-15-2011, 03:19 AM   #10
Scudsgunshow
DoOmie
Noobie
Scudsgunshow's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:01 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scudsgunshow is a NOOB

Yup get rid of that fairing and mount a updated head light, some radian gauges and a radian bar would look trick too. good luck
Scudsgunshow is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes