Jackstand Johnny's 2000 SV650 - Carmen - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2012 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2012 Buildoff Entry Threads

2012 Buildoff Entry Threads All buildoff threads will be posted here, and posted in by ONLY the original poster

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Jackstand Johnny's 2000 SV650 - Carmen

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-01-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Jackstand Johnny's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:28 PM
Flip Offs: 321
Flipped Off 209 Times in 127 Posts
Jackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loser
Default Jackstand Johnny's 2000 SV650 - Carmen

Day 1 of the build

It's the first official build day for the 2012 Buildoff and I'm stuck at work until 7 a.m. My bike is waiting for me at my Brothers house until I get off. There Won't Be much at all I can do today except for getting her up on some jackstands*wink wink* and taking a few preliminary pictures as I don't have any tools with me.

So first off here's a list of the main things I plan on getting done:

2005 GSXR 750 Front End
2006 GSXR 750 Rear Wheel
Fat Bars
Gauges
Paint
Jackstand Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Jackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loser
Default Re: Jackstand Johnny's 2000 SV650 - Carmen

Alright so I just got back from my Brothers house and got the ass end of my bike off the ground in preparation for the rear wheel swap. Along with it are my preliminary photos showing proof of the build's start date:

I promise I will get better pictures of how it sits right now. Please take into account it was under a covered breezeway, raining AND not full daylight when I took the pictures. I rushed over right after work to get this started.
Jackstand Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Day 2 Of Build

Alright! As promised here are some better quality pictures of my bike as it sat on the first day:

I spent my time today stripping off the exhaust, rear wheel, carbs and wiring harness as well as a few extras here and there:

With the carbs off I'm gonna give them a good cleaning, and Ill be looking at the exhaust to see if I'll be replacing the entire thing or not.

I also got sick deal on a set of Easton Fatbars for $15. I had to drive an hour and go to the straight up hood for them, but it was fun:

I still don't know if these will go on the bike since I got a...wow, ya know what? I never showed you guys and gals out there in Fighterland some of the OTHER parts that will be going on the SV for the build...so here they are:

Thats it for day 2 of the build. Stay tuned.
These people High Fived Jackstand Johnny!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-04-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Day 3 of build

I didnt do a whole lot today. I just removed the front brakes and all the controls. I did luck out finding that I don't need to buy another front tire, as the 120/70/R17 on my SV650 front wheel is in fact the same profile as the GSXR 600/750. I got a set of knockoff levers coming my way that the seller on Ebay has been kind enough to mismatch for me as Ill have an SV650 clutch perch and a GSXR brake perch. I'm still waiting on a lot of parts to come in including the sockets I need to pull the engine. I also cleaned the carbs

and stripped the gas tank of all the hardware in preparation for paint. The tank will be shacking up in the beat laboratory for the time being so it doesnt get beat up.

By the way, I stripped out a float bowl screw and for anyone wondering the Grabit extractor bits are the BEST. I has that thing out in no time at all. I already got a replacement screw(or 7) from Ace so the carbs are all buttoned up, bagged, and put away.

That's it for today, stay tuned and thanks for looking.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Day 4 of build

I have to work all this weekend so there's not much time for anything significant to get done. I did get these in the mail today:

'so I spent a little time modifying some bolts to fit them since the hardware that came with them were messed up:

I also made templates for the underside of my top triple. I plan on cutting out some diamond plate aluminum to put in the recesses underneath for added strength so my triple wont fail on me after I mount my fat bars:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Day 5 of build

I got my 2006 GSXR brake master cylinder, lever, and reservoir in the mail today as well as my Easton Answer fat bars. They're narrow which I like, but they've got a pretty aggressive sweep. I dont know if Ill be using them as I may just cut down the other Easton bars to my liking.

I also drilled the mounting holes for the bar clamps in my top triple after about an hour and a half of measuring. I took my time, and bored the hole out 6 times with 6 different bits after making a pilot punch with a tap. Here's the progression:

I still have a bit of work to do on the triple. I don't have enough clearance on the backside for the clamp nut so I have to take some material off. Only problem is my dremel tool just died for good on me so Im gonna have to figure that one out later. That's it for now, thanks for viewing.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-08-2011, 02:33 AM   #7
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Day 7 of build

As I was sectioning out some material on the bottom of the top triple my Dremel tool died on me for good. Since I didn't have any other way of shaving the excess material off I moved on to the stock front end of the bike. The top left pinch bolt on the stock SV front end is stripped almost completely thanks to the idiot previous owner, and I didnt bring my Grabit" screw/bolt extractor, all I could do was remove the 7/8" dirty bars and move on for the time being:

I still had some daylight left so I decided since I just got the hookup on some special castle nut sockets fabbed up for removing the SV's engine, that I would tip toe around that and figure out the logistics of pulling it out:
Gratuitous shot

Lowest most rearward motor mount

I ran out of daylight at that point so I grabbed a few parts to work on at my place and went on my way:

That's all for day 7 of the build, but I'll leave you with one more picture. It's of a particular shade of gunmetal Grey I like, and I'm now thinking I want the frame Black with gunmetal Grey bodywork:

Thanks for viewing.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-08-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Day 8 of build

This is gonna be a long day. It's 6 a.m. now and Ive been up since 2 p.m. yesterday working off/on with the bike. I just got done using my new Dremel tool to get some more clearance around where the bar clamp nuts have to go underneath my top triple:

Just enough room for the 17 milly.
This user High Fived Jackstand Johnny!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #9
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

I decided to mock up the clamps and a set of fat bars. These are the bars I'll probably cut down if I decide to run em:

I set the distance between the clamps to 128mm eye to eye. I feel like the space between them would be a good spot for my gauges especially since the ignition mount is in front of it all and out of the way.
This user High Fived Jackstand Johnny!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-08-2011, 06:16 AM   #10
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Next up was the swingarm. I found a sanding disc set for power drills at Wal Mart for $14 and it worked excellent for getting the rough spots out of where I hacked off the chainguard mounts with my cut off wheel:

Well, my eyes are heavy and this song from Porcupine Trees is making it worse so I think I'm gonna pass out for a few hours and hit it up again. More to come for day 8 of the build, stay tuned ya little monsters and thanks for viewing.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2012 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2012 Buildoff Entry Threads