Sunshine: Phoebe's 1987 Shelby Charger GLHS - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Cage-Fighters

Cage-Fighters Got a 4-wheel fiend as well? Let's see them cars and trucks!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Sunshine: Phoebe's 1987 Shelby Charger GLHS

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
Phoebe
Swamp Witch

Phoebe's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:11 AM
Flip Offs: 86
Flipped Off 17 Times in 15 Posts
Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Sunshine: Phoebe's 1987 Shelby Charger GLHS

Hi guys. My future daily driver got delivered to me yesterday morning. Here she is:

The good: This car is largely unmolested and has a clean history. The body is pretty straight and there's only a couple of noticeable dings and small areas that need to be touched up. The interior is in beautiful condition with only a couple of minor flaws. It's missing the dome light bezel, so I'd like to replace that. Everything important works. It only has 47,000 original miles.

The bad:
1. The turbo, which I already knew before I bought it. It whined a bit when I first started it and after it was warmed up, it was sending oil into the exhaust (now I smell like burned synthetic motor oil). The car runs pretty well otherwise.
2. The tach is stuck at 4000 rpm.
3. The remote hatch release doesn't release the hatch. It opens fine with the key, though.
4. The intercooler hoses have been patched with duct tape.
5. The windshield washer line has been disconnected.
6. Some of the outside lights on the car are out. They're probably just dead bulbs.
7. Although the sunroof wasn't leaking, the seals should be replaced.
8. The shifter linkage and bushings DEFINITELY need to be replaced and upgraded. The shifter feels like moving a wooden spoon through mashed potatoes. I kept putting it into reverse or 3rd gear when I was trying to put it in 1st. I know the shifter on my old GLH wasn't that bad.

The ugly: The roof and sails have been repainted (it's passable) and there's one questionable area on the passenger side drip rail that I need to investigate. And a little paint is missing from one corner of the rear bumper. But paint isn't really a priority. It's fine as-is as far as I'm concerned and will look decent once touched up, cleaned up and polished. The car is almost 25 years old, and I don't mind that it looks it. There is also rust at the bottom inside of the driver's door, which I know is a common thing with these cars. I should be able to fix that. Pics of those flaws below:

Drip rail kludge

Driver's side door rust

Current plans: Sort out the turbo, fix anything else that's necessary to get it on the road, rustproof the car/repair existing rust so it will survive in New England, and touch up the paint. After that, I will do some fun stuff to it

Yeah, this means the Cyclone project is on hold for a bit until I get this done, but I will be getting back to it, don't worry!
Phoebe is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
MadMadame
Konichiwa Bitches
MadMadame's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 122
Flipped Off 105 Times in 40 Posts
MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Sunshine: Phoebe's 1987 Shelby Charger GLHS

Very nice! Looks like fun.

RIP Gavin "Greencheezeeta" Butts, 5Oct83-8Sep09

MadMadame is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived MadMadame!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
dogbreath
Function IS Form
dogbreath's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 27
Flipped Off 329 Times in 225 Posts
dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
2007 Streetfighter Buildoff - Head Turner Award 

OH HELL YEAH`

Dedication > Guts > Money > Luck > Talent
dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived dogbreath!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
RedEye669
Candy Paint Whore
CF Lover
RedEye669's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:11 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 11 Times in 9 Posts
RedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of lightRedEye669 is a glorious beacon of light

I can't remember the last time I saw an 80s turbo Dodge or Chrysler on the road . . . in fact, I can't remember the last time I saw any Daytona, Charger, or Omni after I sold my '88 Daytona many years ago. I guess the winters up here killed them all.

Crude beasts for the most part, but the intercooled turbo versions were hot. I always wanted an Omni GLHS

As far as I know, the Shelby Charger is the only variant of the Chrysler intercooled turbo that came with the older 525 tranny. The Dodge and Chrysler branded models had the Getrag 555.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO EBRMC
You should be aware that going down this path will require a leap of faith. You will need to be prepared for that first chop - the one that renders your bike unrideable until the job is done.
My ADD/OCD random verbal diarrhea and occasionally even BUILD thread
RedEye669 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived RedEye669!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
Phoebe
Swamp Witch

Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Thanks guys! For those who don't know, Shelby only made 1000 of the Charger GLHS models, and only in 1987. Shelby also made 1000 Omni GLHS models in 1986. This car is #151.
These people High Fived Phoebe!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
Phoebe
Swamp Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEye669 View Post
I can't remember the last time I saw an 80s turbo Dodge or Chrysler on the road . . . in fact, I can't remember the last time I saw any Daytona, Charger, or Omni after I sold my '88 Daytona many years ago. I guess the winters up here killed them all.

Crude beasts for the most part, but the intercooled turbo versions were hot. I always wanted an Omni GLHS

As far as I know, the Shelby Charger is the only variant of the Chrysler intercooled turbo that came with the older 525 tranny. The Dodge and Chrysler branded models had the Getrag 555.
I see Shelby Dodges pretty rarely these days. It wouldn't surprise me if I have the only Charger GLHS in RI.

Yes, they are very crude cars. Even back in the day they were considered pretty primitive. It's a huge difference going from my Focus to this car, but I like it. I remember my old GLH being pretty easy to work on (granted, it was a lot less crowded under the hood than the GLHS is), so it should be an improvement over my Focus in that regard at least.

You are correct about the transmission, although I don't know for sure if it's the only one with the 525 transmission. I know that the transmission is the weak spot on these cars, so people swap them out for one of the other transmissions. Since I'm not planning on making this car a 300hp drag strip beast or anything, I'm hoping to avoid any transmission explosions. We'll see.
This user High Fived Phoebe!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
SabreV45
Mad Sconnie

CF Pimp
SabreV45's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:11 AM
Flip Offs: 243
Flipped Off 85 Times in 32 Posts
SabreV45 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SabreV45 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SabreV45 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SabreV45 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SabreV45 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SabreV45 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SabreV45 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SabreV45 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SabreV45 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SabreV45 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SabreV45 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Looks great Pheobes. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

So.........what about the MG?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFighter
By the riders and for the riders, streetfighters we are and united we will stand.
"The Lone Sabre" Build - 84 Sabre (Sold)
"Bastard Child Hybrid" Build - XS / FZR
"The Maggot" - 82 CX500
SabreV45 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived SabreV45!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
Shmitterton
Cant leave shit alone!
CF Addict
Shmitterton's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:11 AM
Flip Offs: 64
Flipped Off 20 Times in 12 Posts
Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Shmitterton is a wicked helpful, well liked member!

Awesome find phoebe, I know that car is in good/capable hands with your attention to detail.

Redeye, I saw a disgustingly clean and pissed off sounding Conquest TSi the other day and it was instawood when it smoked the tires and left 2 amigo's at a stoplight in their shitbox civic lx. I was a few cars back but had my windows down and heard blow off when he hit second and after that he was a blur.

Thread jack over.
Shmitterton is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Shmitterton!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
jaybuilt
or just jay

CF Addict
jaybuilt's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:11 AM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 9 Times in 2 Posts
jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!jaybuilt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Phoebe ....you are a girl with some real style.
bet your dad loves having a bad ass doughtier

Congrats
jaybuilt is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived jaybuilt!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #10
Tbird232ci
GURU

Fighterer
Tbird232ci's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 42
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tbird232ci is a splendid one to beholdTbird232ci is a splendid one to beholdTbird232ci is a splendid one to beholdTbird232ci is a splendid one to beholdTbird232ci is a splendid one to beholdTbird232ci is a splendid one to beholdTbird232ci is a splendid one to beholdTbird232ci is a splendid one to beholdTbird232ci is a splendid one to beholdTbird232ci is a splendid one to beholdTbird232ci is a splendid one to behold

The A525 is a decent transmission really. The A555 can be adapted to the rod linkages, but it's a pain in the ass. Not too sure about the A568.

You should still be able to get the shifter bushings from the dealer. I had an 85 Shelby Charger, and before I even got it home, the shifter linkage came off and I was stuck in 3rd. I couldn't find any replacement parts locally, so I had to call up the dealer.

If you browse around turbododge.com, or boostedmopar.com, you can find articles on setting up rod end's on the linkages, and moving the pivot on the shifter to make a short throw shifter.

I loved my Charger for the brief amount of time I had it, but mine was a shit box. Was beat to hell, ran like shit, and just wasn't working out well for a daily in my case. I had it running PERFECT for about 20 minutes, blew out a fitting in the vacuum manifold I set up, and even after going through the vacuum lines and fittings to make sure everything was set right, I just couldn't get it running right again.

My biggest gripe was the lack of under hood space. I had an 87 Dodge 600SE, and the under hood, with the same engine, was spacious. I don't know if it was just because of the oil filter my Charger had on it, but I had to pull the cooling fan to get the damn filter out.

Does that car have the infamous 2 piece intake manifold?

1983 KZ550 LTD

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Tbird232ci!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Cage-Fighters