Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Mak's CX500 build...

6K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  makenzie71 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Bit miffed...I've been held up really getting the headers and done because I was waiting for mufflers and I needed to get those positioned before I could really get the pipes in place. And I was held up on pegs because I'm going to have to make them around the exhaust...and the pegs and tray are all I got left to set in place before I can do finish welding, drop the engine, and paint the frame. I had to wait three weeks for the mufflers. I really wanted this left exist high mount dual can setup...I had something real similar with my first CX and I loved it.

But after FINALLY getting the cans in and building the bracket to hold them so I could line up the plumbing...I'm not sure I like it as much as I thought I would.

I'll probably mount very similarly to how they're mounted stock :/...which isn't bad, just isn't as interesting as I wanted it to be.

#11 ·
It's probably going to end up just like that with a can on both sides.

man I wish I could afford $2~3k for laced wheels.

Wheels are my current plight. After a bunch of measuring I sorted out that the WIDEST I can go on the back is a 160mm tire on a 17x4.5 wheel. My plan was to go with a 17x5.5 and a 180 because I really like the feel of a 120/180 combination, but doing that will require a custom drive shaft and I will be very tight on room. Can be done, don't know if it's worth the expense. So I went with a 4.5" wheel...I use to race on a 120/160 combo and it felt good enough so why not.

I ordered up an FZ6 rear wheel since I couldn't realistically make my YZF-R6 wheel work. That way the spokes will match and since it's a smaller rim surely it'll be a small hub and wheel and be a little easier to adapt...

NOPE

The FZ6 hub is significantly larger than the R6 hub. It's 19.5cm wide vs the R6's 17cm the OD on the drive side is way bigger and the center bore is also bigger than the R6. The only thing that's not bigger than the R6 is the cush cavity...it's shallower and the hub is hollow so I can't even mill the thing down. Had this rim been on the R6 hub it would have worked passably.

For kicks, though...even though I don't like the idea because the wheels are a little on the heavy side...I went out and grabbed my GT650R rear wheel since it's 17x4.5...just to see. The hub is tiny. I would not have any trouble getting it spaced. I may go that route...run the GTR wheel backward, have the drive side milled and maybe have a flange made and welded to it to mount the spline ring on.

Doesn't look that bad with the R6 front...

#12 ·
I can get 36 or 40 hole lace rings that'll match the rear comstar wheel hub, though, for like $200...or hell I can probably have someone here laser cut me a set for even less if I pin down the dimensions. If I could get a lace wheel that'll cooperate with my '06 R6 front end without needed a new mortgage on my home I might consider that route.

#13 ·
Well you already have a cx500 wheel that can have a spoke adapter fitted and you already have a disc that fits your brake calipers. Seems to me all you're missing is an adapter to get that disc to fit that hub and spacers to get your hub between those forks?

Idk if it can be done particularly as the Yamaha axle is way bigger, but might be an idea.

#14 ·
Bigger axle is defeated by shims and spacers...that wouldn't be a problem. Plus the bore on the comstar will support the larger axle, but my comstar is only a single disc hub. I would need to find another hub and at that point I may as well find a better wheel to start with. And by the time I'm done machining everything I may as well have bought the cognito hub.

And that's another thing...I'm having a hell of a time finding machinists that are working right now. I need my own lathe.

#15 ·
I spent last evening screwing around with the GTR wheel. I've seen another outfit use them. I was going to run the wheel backward and drive from the cush side because I wanted a flat surface to attach the spline ring to. But after all my exploratory grinding I'm still about 8~10mm too far. Material there is only about 4mm thick and I think it's critical to the structural support...I don't want to shave it off. That shop I linked to above went from the brake side but going from this side still requires cutting DEEP into the webbing that supports the wheel to the bearing tube. We're talking flush with the spokes and then another 8mm down. I could do it, but I don't know how much trust I would be able to put in the wheel.

I'm giving up on the rear wheel for now. I'll find a tire that compliments the Sportmax II going on the front that'll fit the 16" rear properly and call it quits...for now. With the swingarm notched already I can probably go ahead and swing for a 150 or 160 but don't know if I will, probably won't fit the wheel properly anyway.

The rear wheel is a thing I want pretty badly but it's not a hill I'm prepared to die on and it's holding up other progress.

At this point I'll probably buy a GL1000 laced rear wheel and re-lace it to a 4.5" rim, and then start looking for a dual rotor hub I can make work with the R6 forks...but will worry about finishing the bike otherwise before I get too deep in that.

#17 ·
Okay I REALLY want that high mount left exit exhaust...BUT...I don't have quite enough tubing, it's going to require a LOT of fiddling around to get the tubing tucked away just right, and I'm going to spend a lot of time and effort on it not progressing with the project...not to mention not progressing on all my other stuff I need to be doing. Just like the rear wheel, it's a thing I want but it's not a hill I'm prepared to die on.

So I'm taking the easy way out. For now. I'm going to get more tubing later this year and revisit the high mount next winter.

#23 ·
So I got new fork seals...then I forgot to put oil in one...then I forgot to put the damper rod in it...then I forgot to bleed the other one...then I finally got them all together and mounted. Then I installed my new tires! Then I got my wheels mounted. Then I decided that I actually was not willing to give up on the high mount left exit exhaust and redid that. Then I realized another thing I forgot...bonus points if you can spot it haha

#24 ·
Bringing them both inboard and the top silencer ahead of the bottom makes all the difference, looks good to me :rock:

Then I realized another thing I forgot...bonus points if you can spot it
Tail light?
Black painted rear rim? (is it smaller?)

#25 ·
I actually have a tail light on it now...and got the rear painted pretty nicely. I forgot the rotors on the front :D

Final iteration of the exhaust. The welds aren't pretty but it's the best my Harbor Freight welder can do lol. I'm glad I didn't bail on it, I really like the way it came out. I need to polish and scrape and sand a bit, but not much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.