Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Save $$! Ghetto-fab tool gallery!

84K views 142 replies 65 participants last post by  Mongoose 
#1 ·
Hey fighterers! I've been saving $$ everywhere I can, so I thought I would show you guys some special motorcycle tools you can make with scraps. I used a welder for most of them, but some only require a grinder and some tinkering!

Please post your ideas if you have any to add!

22mm Hex adapter for Triumph front axle:
Cost from Triumph: $40
Lowest price on Ebay: $15
Cost to Make: Less than $2

Honda Steering stem nut socket:
Cost from Honda: $60
Cost to make: Free scrap stainless tube and 12mm bolt

Steering stem stand:
Cost from PitBull: $160
Cost to make: Free with scrap shopping cart

Valve stem driver:
Cost from auto parts store: $3
Cost to make: Free with extra 1/4" driver

Tire bead breaker:
Cost from harbor freight: $45
Cost to make: $8

Tire change wheel protectors:
Cost: $10
Cost to make: Free from OJ containers, two layers melted together

Mega-motorcycle-maintenance-seat:
Cost: ????
Cost to make: Free with extra saab seat and shopping cart parts

Adapter to turn pipe bender into shop press:
Cost: $5 in scrap

See less See more
#8 ·
I like the pipe bender press. I was thinking about that for mine the other day actualy. Are you just using the pins across the top or do you have another plate there as well?
Well, I haven't had the need to use it as a press yet, but I have been using it as my vise lately. I Put a big piece of 2"x4" steel box on the underside of the pins and clamp down with the bottom plate. Depending on what needed to be pressed, this setup may work, but if I ever need to do something tall like a steering stem, I would make a "cradle" that the pins go through and secures a flat plate about 6" above the top orange rails.

#10 ·
I just love the ghetto tools, great job

I will play along then...

19mm nut welded to rebar. Used on Suzuki forks if you dont have accesss to a rattle gun. for removing damper rods. Clamp it in vice horizontally, insert into stanchion down to damper rod, then use big hex key to un-bolt. Reassmble in opposite order. Suzuki would charge heaps for tool.

Fuel rig for kat tuning, just wood screwed to suit mounting on frame with a big spring clamp, then use an old radiator overflow bottle, fuel tap and filter. great safe rig. Use viton orings to seal the tap into the hole you put in bottle, other orings will leak.

GSX clutch tool to lock clutch while removing hub nut. Just an old clutch plate and some rebar, bend, weld, paint for fulll effect.

While shopping carts are as plentiful as cockroaches, Im using them everywhere I can. Made an engine rig for my teapot project. I was going to pull all the covers off the engine while in this and do some easy peasy work inside. Most comfortable valve adjustments Ive ever done. It will be great for painting the entire engine after I've finished tickling it a bit.

And my personal favorite.
An old Glyceral Trinitrate Storage chest with wheels where my tools and toolbox reside. Now thats gonna help my air/fuel ratio's

Ive shown you mine, now show us yours

#11 ·
Fuel rig for kat tuning, just wood screwed to suit mounting on frame with a big spring clamp, then use an old radiator overflow bottle, fuel tap and filter. great safe rig. Use viton orings to seal the tap into the hole you put in bottle, other orings will leak.
Nice ones snapper!! I personally think that fuel rig would be super handy for an upcoming build of mine. Definitely want to make one of those!! +REP!

#13 ·
This tool is more suited to anyone looking to boost their bike, but I thought it was a really neat one. Worked well too:

Tool for beading the ends of intercooler piping:

Cost, under $8
Materials: set of vise grips, exhaust clamp, and large washer- You simply buy the size clamp that your tubing is, weld that to the upper jaw, then weld a large thick washer to the bottom jaw. Take your time working around the perimeter of the tube, tightening after each circle until you get a nice bead.

#18 ·
good stuff in here dogmeat how does that head stand work? cause it looks like the pin part is just hangin loose. i need to do tires soon and want to build something like that

#19 ·
Yup! You got it :)

The pin part does hang loose. I based the design loosely off of the pitbull front end stands. Look them up on youtube.

The pin arm is loose, once you insert the pin into the steering stem, the stem pin keeps the arm level while the base pivots. All the torsion on the stem pin is why I braced it with another tube in the middle.

#21 ·
:rock: so you have to lift the bike and set it on the pin? what do you lift it with ?

#23 ·
yeaaah! i love cf!

#32 ·
Ducati cylinder head bolt work around (copied from my build thread, but might be seen by more people here):
Cost from Ducati: $WTF £’Ow much!?
Lowest price on Ebay: $40 ÂŁ15
Cost to Make: free, assuming you have a reasonably well stocked tool box.

When rebuilding my engine after replacing some valves, in order to go from this:

To this:

You have to torque 4 nuts on each cylinder head to 40Nm which in their wisdom Ducati made wholly inaccessible to any kind of socket:

There is a tool they sell for doing this but I found another solution. The nuts are 15ml. Happily a 15ml ring spanner grips a ½" socket head quite well. So I was able to clip some things together to make this:

There is a calculation to do which adjusts the torque that you need to set in order to overcome the extra leverage you are applying by doing this and that can be found here:

http://www.norbar.com/calculators/torque-wrench-extension-calculator.aspx

^ That sum can and should be applied to any similar torque wrench extension people might weld together to do similar things.

Ghetto tools FTW

#34 ·
Well the orange pipe bender is from harbor freight, I just made my press parts out of a huge rectangular box section for the top and a large plate with a thick round tube welded to the bottom so it sits on the hydraulic piston.

I am pretty sure you have to weld on some motor mounts to the shopping cart to make it a stable engine stand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.