Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

gs1175, "time slip" retro build

120K views 1K replies 68 participants last post by  CK 187 
#1 ·
as all my posts for this build were done in the winter build off i thought that any work done after that had closed should have a new thread in the build forum :rock:

so here we go with the continuing evolution :)

last night i fitted the new BLACK levers and bandit mirrors & R&G bar ends.
its the little things that make the difference

#1,188 ·
Had a great weekend at the Carrol Nash Winter Classic show at the Newark show ground. To top it all off Sun was my birthday and I got to take my bike into the start up arena, and was interviewed live by the Legend that is Steve Plater. Steve later came down to the display area and had a chat with Avril about her GS600 build, which made her day.

#1,190 ·
whilst getting her out of the van on return from Newark, I discovered that i had managed to snap on of the front indicators with a tie down strap!

so it was off to More speed Racing for some Motogadget retail therapy,

just ordered a couple of the M-blaze Ice led indies for the bus

#1,193 ·
not done any work on the old bus for a while, so as i was putting the EFE yokes back through the anodizers, it would have been silly not to add the fuel filler plate from the GS to the pile of bits going.

it is something i have wanted to do for a while, i am very pleased with the result, looks sweet as is, but will look much better once the bolts are on!

#1,195 ·
all the remaining small bits i have been waiting for finally came today, so i was able to crack on with fitting

the Motogadget M-blaze indicators to the front of the bike.

i think they look good and under stated in the clear finish, but Fcuk are they bright when looked into from the front of the bike!!

#1,197 ·
as i had some Ti bits and a set of New Stick coils that i had got when i had ordered bits for the EFE build, sat around waiting to be fitted , and the carbs accelerator pump needed adjusting, as i was getting a puff of black smoke out the exhaust whenever i blipped the throttle, pump has somehow been set to act too early!!

I fitted the Ti cam cover bolts and made up a sub loom for the sticks, going to do a test fire up tomorrow.

#1,201 ·
been out for a couple of hours on the big old GS bus, after fitting new plugs, finishing off stick coil harness and final fiddle with carbs, now runs sweet, got home just before the rain started which was a bonus.
looking forward to getting the EFE sorted and swing arm fitted, onward :)

#1,202 ·
As i was going to get an Ignitech quick shifter for my EFE build, i thought it rude not to get one at the same time for the big bus, especially as she is already fitted with an Ignitech TCIP4 ignition pack.

had a look see last night on what i needed to do fitting wise, looks to be very simple, almost "plug and play"

might just have a go at fitting tonight

#1,204 ·
been doing a bit of testing, started off with the recommended 40ms off time, worked but seemed a bit clunky, so after a little bit more distance to see if i got used to it, i came home and set it to 45ms.

now much better, not perfect, but much smoother.

going to have to get used to being firm on the change, as i found i missed gears if i wasnt!!

will be riding to work tomorrow if weather is good to add some more miles, but liking it from the off.

#1,205 ·
Couple of things to report from the weekend,

1) changed the Q/shifter kill timing to 50ms, now spot on and very happy with its performance.

2) whilst i had the laptop out to program the Q/s i tried some different setting on the Dash to sort the gear position indicator, no luck, still crap!

3) to top it all off, out on Sun, bike wouldnt start after re fuel!! just clicking from start relay, AA confirmed 12.2v in battery, jump start and ride back home, battery on order, will check charging system once new battery on bike.

Onwards

#1,208 ·
not done a lot to the old bus over the winter as i have been on with the EFE build, but she is in need of a small amount of fettling from last season.

got to fit a number plate light (now part of MOT) needs MOT

need to sort dash, as the flat angle is ok for daytime riding, but cant see most of the readout once the day light goes!! so got to re mount it.

adjust the accelerator pump (coming on too quick)

need to fit new battery, as one fitted has given up the ghost and wont change!

started off with the dash, made a new carbon mounting plate, bodged a couple of steel plates and bobs your uncle, now mounted where i cant miss it, although it will now require either "boxing" in or a skirt making to keep things tidy and hide the wires.

will crack on with the other bits as soon as i get my new battery back.

20210322_164505.jpg

20210322_164512.jpg

20210322_164526.jpg

#1,209 ·
haha No such thing as a "nice easy five minute job" now is there?

started off replacing the old worn out battery with a nice new one, quick job no1,

checked out all lights and electrics, No rear light or neutral, not a problem as i will be fitting the new number plate holder and lamp, so will be

playing around with the rear wiring anyway.

removed rear end and tail piece, found problem No1, crack in the base of the tail unit! will require some alloy angle brackets making and riveting in place.

problem No2 = ground wire from rear light has snapped and one of the live wires on a LED strip has parted.

started sorting the tail piece, removed broken bits and fitted some brackets.

20210323_175703.thumb.jpg.1d13963cca56bcfcaf8bd3f46c4ac49e.jpg20210323_175711.thumb.jpg.10e12da9dbadc59806a28cb350429bf7.jpg

I will drill the brackets and re fit the tail piece upper.

job two was a bit of soldering and replacement of a LED, sorted.

job 3 the fitting of the new plate hanger was also not a problem, went on sweet, and then spliced in plate light,

20210323_175637.thumb.jpg.dc0bdf9953c6741a9982ff277ec8ca59.jpg20210323_175626.thumb.jpg.1f3e493e84f2964572d519e8809731fb.jpg

will sort neutral light later.

job 3, start her up after winter sleep, started first attempt
:)

almost ready for spring wakeup!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.