Turnip's ZX6R Evo - Page 7 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Turnip's ZX6R Evo

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-25-2016, 07:16 AM   #61
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover
TURNIP's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:03 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Tyr's '95 ZX6R Evo

Been doing work but either didn't have my phone or was too lazy/forgetful to take photos.

I measured the orange frame and ground back the filler blob a bit - frame is decently straight and it looks like the dude got okay penetration. Current plan is to run the orange frame for this year, clean up and powder coat the G frame and build a sub for it over the winter and swap the parts over next spring.

With that in mind I chopped the shit out of the F frame and did some things to it.

New geometry vs old.

Stuck the frame on the motor, then installed swingarm/rear wheel and headers. (No photo of that, was too tired/sweaty/late after wrestling it together last night)

Today I'll start fabbing my midpipe to the undertail, probably run out of argon and have to deal with shithead Airgas people.

I'm thinking I'll scuff up the frame a little and shoot black wrinkle paint on it for the rest of the season. Tank will be wrapped in matte black vinyl - anyone know how well the 3M stuff holds up to fuel?

Should also be able to start shaping the tail section soon.
TURNIP is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived TURNIP!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-25-2016, 11:20 PM   #62
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover
TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!TURNIP is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Did stuff today.

Detabbed and in the end just whacked everything off the upper subframe tubes, then mocked the can up roughly where I want it.

Started chopping and zapping. Cutting up and repurposing the G and F midpipe to make my... up pipe? Link pipe? Also angle cut flipped and rewelded the pipe at the back of the collector to get as much angle as I could.

My welds are bad and I should feel bad. Just enough pipe from the two stainless midpipes to make all the stuff I need exceeept - made the adapter that slips into the muffler and the size adapter from mild steel pipe and cones my dad has had lying around since back when he used to build two-stroke pipes for people.

Haven't welded that piece on yet. I remember a buddy saying you can weld regular steel to SS with 309L rod which I believe is what I've been using throughout. So we'll see. Pretty happy with how it all came out, never welded stainless or done exhaust before. Worked out pretty much how I wanted. I may be a wuss and smooth/go over the welds with the TIG again after I get my argon cylinder refilled.

Pipe is made in two slip-together sections; making it one piece would make it really awkward to install/remove.

Glad to have real progress. Couple welds, a real mount for the muffler and I can start shaping the tail cowl.

Got a couple details to fiddle with on the front end before I can move forward with the headlight etc-steering stem appears to have bent slightly last time I pressed it in. It's out about 125 thousandths from one end to the other. I'm gonna try to gently "convince" it back close to straight, checking w/dial gauge. If I can get it pretty close I'll call it good for this year and replace it during winter teardown.
These people High Fived TURNIP!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-26-2016, 07:15 AM   #63
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
F'dup's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:03 PM
Flip Offs: 35
Flipped Off 9 Times in 9 Posts
F'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

I tend to believe that if the ends of those carbon bottom rails are allowed to rotate up and down there really isn't much support going on for the top subframe rail. Especially at the angle they are at...

Exhaust is looking good though!

2017 build off sv650 build thread <---Click here

SV650 b.s.'n and post build off progress on the bike thread thread <---Click here

DR650 supermoto build <--click

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Raz View Post
A bit of vaseline should lube your bush up real nice though. Just make sure that your shaft is a good fit.
F'dup is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-26-2016, 08:30 AM   #64
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover

I mean, according to physics they can only rotate if they also compress, and carbon isn't known for being squishy. The way I made it you can also "preload" tension into the subframe so there isn't any slop flex for momentum to work with. Any downward force on the rear of the subframe appears to translate directly to suspension movement from what I've seen while moving it around etc. I will definitely be testing it extensively before I trust it to keep me from falling butthole-first into the tire though, trust.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #65
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover

Progress stalled for the moment - picked up fresh argon cylinder but I think it's contaminated somehow - blowing holes, burning shit, balling electrode. Only thing on my setup that changed was the gas cylinder. Airgas says I got the last tank of pure argon they had but are willing to exchange it tomorrow afternoon when their shipment comes in. Hopefully that's it and not just that I suddenly suck really badly.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #66
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

We got a bad tank of argon once. Turned out they gave us helium

Good luck dude.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-29-2016, 11:30 PM   #67
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

I thought helium was a good shielding gas? Isnt heliarc tig with helium? (Not sure, really asking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-30-2016, 12:08 AM   #68
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Could be. I don't know either. But I know we couldn't get a clean weld from it. But were set up for argon, so that may have been part of it. Just scary to think a welding supply shop can mix up cylinders like that.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-30-2016, 06:15 AM   #69
TURNIP
GURU
CF Lover

Could be moisture in the tank, too. The tank def. has the right labeling for pure argon.

But it does seem to be running way, way hotter/not start as easily/way less focused arc, which seems to be consistent with what I'm reading about an AR/helium or pure helium setup.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-30-2016, 08:53 AM   #70
Cookie2000ad
Persuasion Engineered
Cookie2000ad's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:03 PM
Flip Offs: 166
Flipped Off 59 Times in 27 Posts
Cookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CK
Default Medal Burnout Contest Winner Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrfin View Post
Got a link to those carbon tie-rods? I likes 'em.
Cookie2000ad is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes