Casper's 2004 Ford F150 5.4L - Page 3 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Cage-Fighters

Cage-Fighters Got a 4-wheel fiend as well? Let's see them cars and trucks!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Casper's 2004 Ford F150 5.4L

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-14-2017, 07:40 AM   #21
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:17 AM
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Casper's 2004 Ford F150 5.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate fighter View Post
Pushrod motors are so much easier
True, but less fun... and less efficient in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
lol Vaseline, basically. Well, Vaseline is petroleum jelly ( mineral oils/waxes). I always assumed petroleum jelly is the same as naval jelly. Might not be the same.
I wouldn't use naval jelly to...

I think naval jelly would dry your skin out instead of moistening. Hell, some people feed small amounts of Vaseline to cats to keep fur balls to a minimum. I wouldn't do that with naval jelly.

Can't leave them alone:2006 Suzuki SV650N, 1994 Yamaha XJ600S and 1979 Suzuki GS750LN

Time to find me a nice DRZ and VStrom...
Casper is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #22
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Every trip starts with some food.

This trip includes a long border wait. (Four times in total...)

Extended JK with gear for days.

Nucular!

Can't leave them alone:2006 Suzuki SV650N, 1994 Yamaha XJ600S and 1979 Suzuki GS750LN

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #23
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Fighter of the Month 

Chemtrails!

A photographer was having fun keeping up with the ferry being lit by the setting sun.

Slept on the cot in the truck bed for the night.

Shit hits the fan here.

Have to keep eating dispite the trip being cut short...

This user High Fived Casper!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-21-2018, 11:31 AM   #24
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Fighter of the Month 

I have been trying to diagnose why the truck isn't running right. It is having a hard time getting off of idle (damn near impossible, but I convinced her to last night and got a smooth idle at 1000 RPM) and has been stalling badly.

Original issues:
Truck running like shit, misfiring bad, stumbles and stalls at idle, hard to rev. Check engine light flashing.

Codes: (from memory, there were 15 or so in total)
P0345 - Camshaft, driver bank
P0300 - Misfire, random
P0305 - Misfire, cylinder 5
P0306 - Misfire, cylinder 6
P0307 - Misfire, cylinder 7
P0308 - Misfire, cylinder 8
P0316 - Misfire, startup
P0174 - System too lean
P0175 - System too rich
P0021 - Camshaft too advanced
P0022 - Camshaft too retarded

The mechanic in Bruce Mines looked at it and immediately blamed the driver side Camshaft Position Sensor.
1. Pull the plug for the sensor
- No change, plugged it back in.

2. Swap the sensor with the passenger side CPS
- No change

He then blamed the wiring or the PCM.

I had mentioned that the 5.4 in my truck has phasers and that switched his thinking over to the oil level and variable cam timing solenoid.

3. Checked the oil, was below the dipstick. (Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, I need to check this more often. It had only been 3800 miles since the last oil change, where did it go?)
- Added 4.5 liters of oil (This is Canadia, they don't use quarts. When I checked it after everything sat for a day or two, it looks to be half a quart to a quart above the high mark, so I was only 2 quarts below the low mark.)

He lost a bolt and didn't diagnose anything substantial, but the codes are wiped and I don't have a copy of the original codes. Ces't la vie.

The tow guys were saying they had just replaced the VCT solenoid in a couple of Fords for their friends and that solved all of the issues, which sounded exactly like mine.

4. Unplugged the VCT solenoids
- No change, plugged them back in.

5. Removed the VCT solenoid from driver bank
- Not stuck open, screens looked good, still has a like new sheen on it. (New motorcraft part from 11/16 rebuild.

6. Swapped the VCT solenoids between driver and passenger bank.
- No change

Was thinking that driving the truck with a flashing check engine light might have clogged the CAT.
7. Removed the pre-CAT O2 sensor.
- No change. Left the O2 sensor out.

One of the CPS diagnosis's talked about a faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKS)
8. Unplugged CKS
- Engine spun very happily, but no attempt to fire. Plugged CKS back in.

Someone had mentioned the Radio Interference Capacitor had gone bad in their truck and was causing issues with the coils.
9. Unplugged the capacitor.
- No change, plugged it back in

10. Swapped the capacitor with the passenger bank.
- No change

Ended up trying to start the truck too much and was worried that the battery was already weak.
11. Charged the battery for two days on my battery tender as I went camping up north.
- Battery took the charge well and has plenty of power.

I was interested in seeing if I had a stuck injector or a bad coil.
12. Unplugged the driver side injectors / coils one at a time.
- No change

I was interested in seeing if the fuel pressure regulator was acting up.
13. Unplugged the regulator.
- No change, plugged it back in.

Latest Codes:
P0345 - Camshaft, driver bank
P0356 - Ignition Coil F, primary / secondary

The battery seems to be still strong and shows a healthy 12.6 + V on the voltmeter; the alternator seems to be still strong and shows a healthy 14.1 ish V on the voltmeter.

My next steps are to remove the alternator from the system to rule out any interference that it might be causing and to remove the intake manifold to replace a missing vacuum line (been off since install) and inspect / reroute the engine harness to above the fuel rail and not in a pinch spot between the motor and the firewall.

I need some help. I am thinking I could have a stuck injector, an abraded / melted section of the wiring harness, a phaser gone bad or a PCM gone bad. What are your guy's thoughts about where I should look?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #25
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:17 PM
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

if you ran too low on oil pressure for too long the cam phaser could have been damaged. those thing rely on constant oil pressure to operate and can go outside their normal limits when oil pressure is too low for too long. Ill try to look up some info later provided the shop doesnt get crazy and see what kind of flow charts I can get ahold of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #26
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

Ive got full flow charts for all of those codes but the only one that really concerns me is the P0345. that one crops up when the CPS or the VCT solenoids are having trouble OR when timing jumps. Trying to find a procedure to check the timing but all Im finding is info for a fresh install using colored links and marks on the cam/crank gears...

Quote:
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #27
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGRYMMxX View Post
Trying to find a procedure to check the timing but all Im finding is info for a fresh install using colored links and marks on the cam/crank gears...
Would probably work to use a scanner to measure what angle the VCT solenoids are actually at or to take off the timing cover and make marks that correlate to the colored links when it was new.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-23-2018, 11:15 PM   #28
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Fighter of the Month 

Intake is off, the wiring harness looks to be in good condition.

The driver intake runners were full of fuel, but could have been from when I pulled the fuel rail.

Took off the driver valve cover and the phaser clock spring is indeed off position and no longer takes the cam to home. I found the source of the issue.

Went to put the cam chain keeper in place and remove the phaser, it didn't get stuck like it was supposed to. When I pulled it out, the cam chain just fell off of the phaser. Shit.

Pulled the passenger valve cover and the passenger phaser looks good. Pulled the timing cover and the driver side cam chain is sheared. I am thinking there was an impact with the pistons and the cam chain was the weakest link. I will put the bore scope down the spark plug holes on Monday and see if anything shows signs of contact. I will then make sure none of the cylinders are at TDC and rotate the cam to see if it provides any issues.

Sometimes vehicles are a pain in the ass. At least I know the oil I was using and the way I was driving wasn't creating any sludge.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #29
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp

damn dude... bad luck there. let me know if you need to borrow a scope. you're close enough to swing by the shop and grab it if you need. Id offer to help this weekend but Im watching the kids for the next 8 weekends while LD works the ren fest.

Quote:

This user High Fived XxGRYMMxX!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-25-2018, 09:22 AM   #30
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Autos suck. Good luck, Casper. I recently needed some maintenance done on my work truck. It was better for me to pay a man than to lay out of work and dick with the truck. Truck comes home in top shape, I made more money than he charged in the meantime and the economy goes 'round and 'round.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Cage-Fighters