Kat's Volty two-fiddy Street Tracker - Page 9 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Kat's Volty two-fiddy Street Tracker

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #81
GoodKat
Mr. Good Kat
Fighter
GoodKat's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:16 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Kat's Volty two-fiddy Street Tracker

Wasn't too happy about the design of the headlight bracket so I mocked up the second version of it.

Made out of a T profile steel, shaped with the angle grinder and some speed holes. Besides being lighter it also brought the headlight closer to the frame.

It weighs about 168 grams. The standard headlight bracket placed by Suzuki had a weight of 600 grams.

GoodKat is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived GoodKat!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #82
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:16 PM
Flip Offs: 25
Flipped Off 34 Times in 22 Posts
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Not bad, definitely better than what I can make with hand tools!

Bashan BS200-S7 '07 Street Quad
Ex: Benelli Tornado 900 '06
Ex:Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA '02
Ex:Honda CBR 600 F2 '91
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #83
GoodKat
Mr. Good Kat
Fighter
GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattson View Post
Not bad, definitely better than what I can make with hand tools!
Thanks! I like to think thay my skills are improving every time I build something new. I still need a vertical drill and a good belt sander for cleaner holes and surfaces when finishing parts.

Note to self: need to buy a good dust mask with removable filters. The surgeon-style ones are not providing the filtering needed when grinding metal.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #84
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:16 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Junkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

A drill press is nice to have. A mill is even nicer. Even the little Chinese mills are very convenient to have if you can afford them. I paid $300 used for this: https://www.harborfreight.com/two-sp...ine-44991.html (although I eventually replaced it with something larger).

If you can afford it, and have the space... get a mill.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #85
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 25
Flipped Off 34 Times in 22 Posts
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Wish I had a mill... I used to have a bench drill but it was so flimsy and the chuck wobbled it eventually wasn't any more accurate than going in by hand so I never used it and ended up selling it to my friend for a twenty just to get it off the table.

Bashan BS200-S7 '07 Street Quad
Ex: Benelli Tornado 900 '06
Ex:Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA '02
Ex:Honda CBR 600 F2 '91
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #86
rex_saugerty
V four honda whore
rex_saugerty's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 40 Times in 39 Posts
rex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Im looking for vertical drill, but nit focused at that now

1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0
rex_saugerty is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #87
GoodKat
Mr. Good Kat
Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
A drill press is nice to have. A mill is even nicer. Even the little Chinese mills are very convenient to have if you can afford them. I paid $300 used for this: https://www.harborfreight.com/two-sp...ine-44991.html (although I eventually replaced it with something larger).

If you can afford it, and have the space... get a mill.
What is the difference between a vertical drill, a drill press and a mill?

First two are the same and the mill has a sled that you can move against the drilling head? On X/Y axis?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #88
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:16 AM
Junkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKat View Post
What is the difference between a vertical drill, a drill press and a mill?

First two are the same and the mill has a sled that you can move against the drilling head? On X/Y axis?
I've never heard "vertical drill" before, so I interpreted it as meaning drill press.

A mill (aka milling machine) has an X/Y table and in addition to drilling holes can cut slots, or whatever other shape you want (if you can control it well enough, obviously it can be challenging to cut some shapes), can cut a flat face, and so on. Cutting slots is done with an end mill, which looks similar to a drill (other than a flat face) but can be used for cutting sideways rather than just down. Facing can be done with and end mill or various other tools (such as a flycutter). There's also generally a way of finely controlling Z: mine is set up with a quill (like a drill press) that can be used with a lever (like a drill press) or a dial (for more precise work), as well as a table that can be raised and lowered using a dial. All of the dials are graduated, generally to .001" (maybe they're .02mm in metric countries, I don't know).

Of course, this requires a significantly more rigid machine: you can't use an end mill in a hand drill. You might be able to get away with using one in a drill press on aluminum, but (even if you install an X/Y table) it's unlikely to come out very well and runs the risk of pulling the chuck off of the drill press. With a mill you generally use a collet that can only use a narrow range of sizes (1/16" aka 1.5mm or so at most, but you're better off with 1/32"/.75mm), so you need a set rather than a single drill chuck, but the collet grips the tool far better (and is held in by a bolt, while most drill chucks are simply on a taper and can come off if you put force in the wrong direction). Of course, you can use a drill chuck on a mill if you're just drilling.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-11-2019, 08:59 AM   #89
GoodKat
Mr. Good Kat
Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I've never heard "vertical drill" before, so I interpreted it as meaning drill press.

A mill (aka milling machine) has an X/Y table and in addition to drilling holes can cut slots, or whatever other shape you want (if you can control it well enough, obviously it can be challenging to cut some shapes), can cut a flat face, and so on. Cutting slots is done with an end mill, which looks similar to a drill (other than a flat face) but can be used for cutting sideways rather than just down. Facing can be done with and end mill or various other tools (such as a flycutter). There's also generally a way of finely controlling Z: mine is set up with a quill (like a drill press) that can be used with a lever (like a drill press) or a dial (for more precise work), as well as a table that can be raised and lowered using a dial. All of the dials are graduated, generally to .001" (maybe they're .02mm in metric countries, I don't know).

Of course, this requires a significantly more rigid machine: you can't use an end mill in a hand drill. You might be able to get away with using one in a drill press on aluminum, but (even if you install an X/Y table) it's unlikely to come out very well and runs the risk of pulling the chuck off of the drill press. With a mill you generally use a collet that can only use a narrow range of sizes (1/16" aka 1.5mm or so at most, but you're better off with 1/32"/.75mm), so you need a set rather than a single drill chuck, but the collet grips the tool far better (and is held in by a bolt, while most drill chucks are simply on a taper and can come off if you put force in the wrong direction). Of course, you can use a drill chuck on a mill if you're just drilling.
Thank you for the clarification. I don't think I can afford a mill (e.g. with an adjustable / moving table on X Y axis, but I checked the prices for drill press and it's pretty affordable.

Something similar to this:

I'll try to get the one equipped with the largest motor I can afford.
This user High Fived GoodKat!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #90
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict
JamesHambleton's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:16 PM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 23 Times in 20 Posts
JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Pillar drill
JamesHambleton is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes