Ahks' "Not a Speed Triple" - Page 11 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Ahks' "Not a Speed Triple"

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #101
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:06 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Ahks' "Not a Speed Triple"

The looms on these are just manic. Way over engineered with useless crap.

If you're happy stripping the tape back you can lose everything associated with the factory alarm just for a starter. Lots of wire there. Then lose the wire for the smog gear and believe it or not there is ghost 4th cylinder injector cabling too.

If you're sticking with twin lights it's also worth rewiring both through the relays. You get notably better light output. Not hard to do just get some decent cable and new end terminals. Autostar on eBay is your friend for this.

Then the earthing is a bit "WTF"? The earth block isn't good enough and tends to melt. Then when you look and realise how much cable is going from the earth block to the engine and back and forth it's also crazy.

Don't get me started on the shoe laces they see as starter motor cable. Sprag clutch trouble? Pre empt it with a better battery (motobatt) and thicker starting cables.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #102
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

Ahks's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:06 PM
Flip Offs: 28
Flipped Off 24 Times in 22 Posts
Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
The looms on these are just manic. Way over engineered with useless crap.

If you're happy stripping the tape back you can lose everything associated with the factory alarm just for a starter. Lots of wire there.
I'll be using some of that for my RFID setup I think...

Quote:
Then lose the wire for the smog gear and believe it or not there is ghost 4th cylinder injector cabling too.
4th injector you say?
http://www.triumphrat.net/daytona-de...ml#post2456447

I'll see about removing the smog wiring, mines not a CA bike and doesn't appear to have any of the hardware for it.

Quote:
If you're sticking with twin lights it's also worth rewiring both through the relays. You get notably better light output.
What if I'm going to a single?

Quote:
Then the earthing is a bit "WTF"? The earth block isn't good enough and tends to melt. Then when you look and realise how much cable is going from the earth block to the engine and back and forth it's also crazy.

Don't get me started on the shoe laces they see as starter motor cable. Sprag clutch trouble? Pre empt it with a better battery (motobatt) and thicker starting cables.
Both of these are on the list of things to do as well... Got a local electronics store that has some nice heavy gauge stuff on the shelf so I can make my own starter cables.
Ahks is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #103
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Ah then no 4th injector cable after all! The smog thingy just looks the same.

As far as the alarm goes then you have a nice head start but there's still stuff you can remove like the led alarm light, flasher cut in, etc.

If you're going for single then be sure to keep the wiring that goes through the relays and remove the other one that's run straight through the switch. There's a good bit of extra voltage to be had. I did the mod but think I didn't bother writing it up as there's a spot on write up on t torque. The wiring that exists is enough for one bulb but you'd want thicker to give good power to two bulbs is all.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
This user High Fived a_morti!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #104
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict

And undo the insulation on the left handle switch gear. There's a gnarly splice in there from the horn to the starter which tends to fail leaving you without a starter button. Having stared at the loom I also worked out if you swapped one of the pins on the clutch switch over you could make it more like other bikes (except suzuki) so that you only had to pull the clutch to start it if in gear. I forget which pin but the clutch to start bit used to annoy me. Plus it meant you could start in gear on the stand (I think? This is a while and two bikes back now) so a pretty poor safety feature IMHO.

This user High Fived a_morti!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #105
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Ahks is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

The stress about getting the electronics right had me weighing the RFID gadegetry against the desire to simplify the machine... Yeah walking up to a bike with the fob in your pocket and being able to fire up the machine is cool... But having everything not go/stop/legally required stripped off the machine has a big appeal as well.

This build has been an inspiration

Somehow I doubt it included any unnecessary electronics...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #106
rubbersdown
sickboy
CF Pimp
rubbersdown's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:06 AM
Flip Offs: 37
Flipped Off 45 Times in 29 Posts
rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

siiiiiick^ what tail is that?

"Sex addicts are just guys who are telling the truth." - Rodney Ruxin
rubbersdown is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #107
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersdown View Post
siiiiiick^ what tail is that?
http://www.customfighters.com/1616/m...-daytona-955i/

http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=11261

No parts list given. I really dig the subby welded on like that. Beyond my ability atm
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #108
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict

Tail is so small it has to be off a mini moto, right?

Looks cool. First one I've seen with the bottom of the tank blacked out, which as it turns out is essential.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #109
RunswScissors
Noobie
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
RunswScissors is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahks View Post
Thanks

The guy I got it from got it from a guy in Farmington Hills named Mike, I think, who was the second owner from what I've found. I found this http://www.triumphrat.net/daytona-de...on-wunoff.html and this http://motownmuscle.com/forums/showt...-955i-2700-obo while researching the bike and exhaust, and the PO said he bought his in March.

The interwebs are creepy with stalking people.
Yeah, ya found me (Mike). I was at least the 3rd owner. Guy I got it from hooned it for a summer and ran the back tire down to the cords, then moved to a TL1000, and I think he's on a Busa now.

I'm only on page 3 of the build, but I subscribed.
RunswScissors is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #110
Ahks
Feckin Eejit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunswScissors View Post
Yeah, ya found me (Mike).
Awesome. Glad to have you along for the ride. I wish I had your opportunity to see how some of my old rides are doing. I still have contact with the guy that got my CBR. I'll see how his silver repsol kit looks in the spring hopefully. But I'd love to see if the kid that got the Sportster is riding it and if he's done anything with it...

Since I got ya here... why has everyone gotten rid of this bike after riding it for a year? I rode it for a couple weeks and it seems pretty fuckin solid. Great compression, shift linkage is sloppy as fuck but the trans feels solid, maybe a bit of a ghost neutral near 4th like I've hear about, clutch seems goodish still, I don't see any sign of the starter clutch going, all the vacuum lines have been refreshed, valves are mostly in spec, suspension needs a bit of tuning but seems solid.

Unless everyone thats owned it either wanted a 140+mph bike or a cruiser I can't see why it's passed around so much.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes