Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Scrapyard's '91 GSXR 907. Project Oil Boiler

7K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  Scrapyard 
#1 ·
All discussion about this build should go in here:
Scrapyard's '91 GSXR 907. Project Oil Boiler Discussion Thread

Current state of the bike is as follows.

Frame: 1991 GSXR750, Fully polished , subframe removed.
Forks: 2005 RC51 Showa SP-2.
Swingarm: 2005 R1, narrowed to fit GSXR frame.
Engine: '91 GSXR750. +4 pistons, stock bottom end and transmission, '90 GSXR750 Slingshot rocker head, Cams TBA, 40mm Mukuni Flat slides, Yoshimura Duplex Stainless exhaust.
Bodywork: currently Bandit 600 tank.

Many parts and pieces still need to be accuired or made.

First on the agenda is the rebuild of the engine. Need to fab rear suspension links and shock mount, Tripple clamps, subframe, etc.

Wheels and brakes are still up in the air. I have some ideas. See what money affords.

Current pics of the project.

See less See more
#3 ·

Small update.
Started tearing into the engine rebuild. For those that havn't read through the original thread for this bike. When I got this bike, it was not running. The previous owner had removed the cylinder head for some odd reason and left the bike uncovered outside. Long story short, cylinder #1 had collected standing water and rusted the piston to the sleeve. After a week of soaking the cylinder down with every oil, spray lube and chemical concoction I could think of, it finally came free. The cylinder was still good and was able to be honed into spec. The piston has been sitting in a ziplock bag full of PB Blaster for the better part of a year. The rings were so rusted they did not come free when the piston was removed. I spent a solid hour heating, cooling with more PB Blaster and cold water, heating again, etc. Well, the rings finally were able to be pulled out of the ring lands and the piston is still good.

This is after a quick wash in the parts cleaner.

Found out some info about these pistons. They are custom Weisco slugs made for Franks Machine down in TX. I'm not sure if the shop is still around. I got their phone number from Weisco, but it is no longer in service.

Part number and bore size :D

Here's the rest of the mess I have to deal with.

Cases have been washed. Crank and trans will get a bath in the morrning and the bottom end should start going back together.

Suspension has been removed once again. New plans in the works. Stay tuned...

#4 ·
More motor work. Still slow going, Blah.

Ordered all new gaskets today. Should have those at some point next week. Here's were we stand now.

Well, there's a clear spot on the bench. That's a plus, lol. The trans and big end are in and the cases are bolted back together.

Cleaned up the pistons. They managed to shine up pretty good. Couple other hot rod parts in there. APE Billet cam chain tensioner and adjustable ignition advancer.

More shots of the work so far. It's nice having everything all clean. Can't wait to get it sealed up so I can paint it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.