Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Mcantar's Busa round 2!

14K views 76 replies 3 participants last post by  mcantar 
#1 ·
Yeah yeah, this shit again.

So for those of you just joining us, I bought this bike bone stock for last year's Buildoff and took it from this:

To this:

And that ^^^ is where we're starting this time.

Full specs and info can be seen in last year's thread (link in my sig), but the basics are this:

-2008 Busa
-Big turbo
-B-King trips
-Custom tail

This year the plan is to basically clean it up and squeeze a bit more power out of it. It'll be getting a redesigned tail, maybe new trips and bars, and some engine upgrades however I haven't decided how far I'm going with that this year yet. Looking at some other various bodywork... belly pan, fenders, that kinda thing. Also planning on doing a new wiring harness from scratch because clean wiring makes me moist, and hopefully by the time I do that I'll have finished designing my Keyless Ignition Module and will be able to work it into the bike. Probably doing some engine painting and frame powdercoating and whatnot too.

A little note on the internals.... was planning on bulletproofing the top and bottom end, but due to the fact that I have 5 active builds, 2 in the Buildoff, and have been living off savings since May (really since April) I'm just going to be doing the top end this year. Should hit mid-high 300's and will be shooting for as much as can be had next year (probably end up being around 460-500ish).

I'm still waiting on most of the important shit as almost everything is coming from Europe and I'm too cheap for fast shipping.

Sorry for all the words and shit. I know it's hard for you guys.

Proof of life.

Parts List:
- 2008 GSX1300R Hayabusa: $5000
- Build cost to date: $3200(ish)
- Ohlins SU406 rear shock: FREE
- B-King axle blocks: FREE
- APE valve seals and adjustable cam gears: FREE
- APE heavy duty head studs/nuts: $130
- Heavy duty stainless valves and springs: $470
- Various gaskets: $120
- Tail unit: $250
- Seat material: $36
- Pressure switch for rear brake: $20
- Clear clutch cover: $250
- Replacement B-King upper triple: $180
- Billet handlebars: $220
- EK ZVX3 11,100lb tensile strength chain: $130
- Sprockets: $60
BUILD COST FOR THIS YEAR: $1866
TOTAL COST: $10,066
(Disclaimer: Parts that I already have laying around on the shelf that weren't purchased specifically for the Buildoff are being counted as free. Many of them came from a bulk purchase that I made of a bunch of Busa parts, which I sold some of and got back more than I paid for all of it).

See less See more
#53 ·

Had to turn the camera brightness down for it to really pick up the shot, so they look way dimmer than they are. Actually they're brighter than I expected. And that's at tail light brightness, no brake light.

#54 ·
Finished off the tail and redid the tank. Primer, paint, clear. Happier with the finish now vs. how the tank was before, just the right amount of shiny.

Not quite as happy with the tail, only because now the lights stand out more than I'd like against the black when they're off. Might put some window tint over them or something if I can get it to stick and not look ghetto.

Used this for the clearcoat, picked it up from the industrial auto body supply place. Happy with it so far but I'll give it some time in the weather before I settle on my opinion. Has a pin in the bottom of the can that has to be pressed to puncture the internal separation between the two components of the paint, at which point it has a 48hr pot life. Seems to be the real-deal spray gun stuff, in a more convenient package so you don't have to clean out your paint gun.

#55 ·
Been about 48hrs on the clear coat (posted the following day) so I figured it was safe to handle and got working on the seat.

For not having much experience shaping rubber/rubberized foam, and never having seen this moss foam stuff before let alone working with it, I think it came out pretty fucking great. This material is SOO much easier to work with than neoprene... I need to find a US source for it.

Now I just need to figure out how to attach it. The back part will just get glued on with the special epoxy I got with the foam sheet, but the bottom is gonna take some thinking as I have to be able to access the bolts that hold the tail to the subframe. The two best things I can come up with are either epoxy it on and punch out holes just the right size for the heads and use socket head cap screws (I tested the material and my gasket punch set cuts it very cleanly), or affix the seat pad with velcro strips and use button head cap screws and carve out pockets on the bottom of the seat for the heads. I like the velcro option, but I don't know how to get the velcro to stick to the foam and I don't particularly want to use a backing plate on it.

#56 ·
Turns out that fancy German expoy was normal German rubber cement. Worked great!
Velcro'd the fuck out of the seat pad.

Couldn't resist a little peek at the combo...

Now all's left on the tail is to solder the connector onto the lights, trim the bottom edge up (need it on the bike for that), and drill/tap this guy so I can bolt it on...

So with that for the most part out of the way, what's left:
- Install fender.
- Wash out inside of tank somehow.
- Install filler cap and fuel level sending unit.
- Make undertail.
- Get proper sized throttle cables.
- Turn out rear brake hose plug (might not happen til after Austin).

Then it's off to MotoGP and the Handbuilt Motorcycle Show!

#57 ·
Well, been a busy few days. Got the bike back from the tuner on Thursday night, loaded everything up and hit the road around 2am, finished up a couple things in the trailer when we got there and fucked around in Austin for a couple days. Then brought it all home and got back to town around 5am today. Took about 18hrs each way, more than I remembered.

My tuner has had a run of bad luck with shit lately and long story short there were some delays in getting shit done. He put some extra hours in and got it to the point that it was safe to gently roll around on and not blow up so that I could at least take it to Austin, which was really cool of him. Unfortunately he didn't have time to do the full tune on it or put the new tires on before my trip so the bike is back with him now.

Austin was fun. The Americas GP is always a good time and there was some really cool shit at the Handbuilt Show this year (I'll post pics in the Interesting Motorcycle Pics thread). The Busa got significantly more attention than I was expecting as well... had a crowd formed before I'd even gotten my gear off when I pulled up to the Handbuilt Show.

I can't comment yet on how it is to ride, given the tuning stuff and whatnot, but I will say that the Ohlins shock needs some serious dialing in (feels like a fucking hardtail) and the seat material, while great looking, doesn't cushion anything whatsoever. Also I'm shooting some massive flames when I shut the throttle, which means that I have a leak on the header either at the engine side or the turbo side that's letting fresh air into the exhaust stream... and as cool as it is to watch, I don't think it's very healthy for that turbo wheel. I'm also considering a number plate -ish setup in place of the headlight, we'll see.

The tail lights are almost not even visible in the day time, which isn't ideal but really isn't too big of a deal since it's daylight and all... at night though they're absolutely awesome, couldn't be happier. There seems to be a threshold with the ambient light, above which they don't appear lit at all and below which they're impossible to miss.

I took a lot of pics of all our bikes and I'm not going through all of that right now (still haven't slept), so here's a mostly random selection of the Busa stuff.

#58 ·
Here's some dyno footage. Obviously this is one of the first pulls and the fuelling isn't totally dialed in yet... you can see it go way rich on the top end. The actual pull starts like halfway through. Running low boost here, keeping things safe for Austin.

#59 ·
Little teeny tiny update.
Tuner still hasn't gotten anywhere with the bike... gonna talk to him tomorrow when I bring it back and figure out what's going on. It's been sitting there since I got back from GP. New tires haven't been put on either because he's waiting till after the dyno.
Wife's stealership had their annual party event thing this last weekend... free food and drink, stunt show, sales on everything, so on. Was invited to bring one of the trucks I build for work and a bike.

Got em both in one shot.

BTW, I know you can turn up a nice looking stopper and get that bolt out of your rear brake res. ;)
Shiny's words have been bugging me in the back of my mind and today I finally decided to do something about it.
Was going to just turn down the head of the bolt I have in there, but it isn't stainless and that's just not acceptable. So I grabbed some alum out of the bin.

Lopped off a chunk and turned it down, hit it with a squishy foam sanding block, and out came this...
(Zero regard for the cleanliness of the cuts on the portion going in the hose as the rougher it is the better the hose will grip).

More bling, more better. Though now I need to find a better looking hose clamp.

#60 ·
Bike is still at the tuner's for the dyno tune and new tires. As such, I don't have a solid power number to give you. The first pull back before GP, which was made without any adjustments to the tune to get a baseline, made 315hp on the nose... I'm hoping for more when it's said and done, but I think it's safe to call it a 300hp bike at the moment.

The spec sheet... or what I remember anyway...

Engine:
- 2008 Hayabusa engine
- Full ported and polished head
- APE head studs and nuts
- APE adjustable cam sprockets
- APE manual cam chain tensioner
- Vance and Hines Heavy Duty cam chain
- Vance and Hines Heavy Duty stainless valves (+1mm over OEM) and springs
- Intake cam on exhaust side, custom profile on intake side
- APE high pressure/flow oil pump gear
- APE low profile crankcase breather
- APE clutch springs
- Custom clutch cover WITH A MUTHAFUCKIN LIGHT UP SKULLY ON IT!!!!!
- DiestchWerks fuel pump
- MagnaFlow fuel filter
- Billet fuel rail
- MotionPro Revolvr cam'd throttle system with modified cables

Turbo:
- Hybrid turbo (roughly equivalent in size to a GT40R), fresh bearings, new wheels, polished shaft
- TiAL 38mm wastegate
- TurboXS BOV
- Aluminum intake piping and plenum
- 6" core air-water intercooler
- Custom heat exchanger (2nd radiator for intercooler) on isolated system with 12v pump wired to ignition power

Suspension/brakes:
- Ohlins SU406 rear shock
- Custom stainless lines from CORE moto
- Ducati Panigale brake and clutch master cylinders

Frame/bodywork/electrical:
- Trimmed frame (ram air mounts and OEM subframe mounts)
- Modified B-King triple clamps and axle blocks
- Modified billet aluminum handlebars and risers
- Ohlins steering damper
- Widened fuel tank
- Modified off-the-shelf tail from Germany
- Highsider mirrors
- Custom CNC-cut subframe/battery box
- Custom reg/rec mount
- Heavily gutted/modified wiring harness
- Koso RX1N gauge
- MT03 headlight w/custom mount
- Custom acrylic tail lights
- Motogadget M-Switch (2 button) for starter and high beam toggle

Think that's all that's worth mentioning, and probably some that isn't.
All work was done by me with the exception of the head stuff, the clutch cover, and the tail lights. And the turbo rebuild cause I don't have a balancing machine.

Huge, HUGE thank you's to Seb of Sebspeed Customs for the clutch cover, Josh from imsolidstate.com for the badass tail lights, and Mike + Terry at QuikCycles for being incredibly helpful along the way (and for the tune... one day... maybe????????? :D)

I was intending on having professional shots taken when I got the bike back, but this will have to do for voting:

#61 ·
Working on re-hosting everything on another site after Photobucked decided to piss everybody off and then ask them for money (good luck cocksuckers). I'll go through and fix the links throughout the thread but there are hundreds of pics and it's going to take a minute.
For now, I've stuck a few pictures of some of the main stuff in the "final post" so people can at least see a little of the build.

#62 ·
Came back to add the "~original" fix to everything (finally) and all the pics are showing up for me now.
Can someone else verify please?

#63 ·
Random take at page 5, no worky. Did the fookers finally catch onto it?

EDIT: checked a few posts, no pic link has the ~original. WTF?

#64 ·
Ok I can see how I was unclear.
I came here with the intent of adding the fix, but everything was showing up properly already so I didn't add it. It could just be my computer being logged into my PB account or something, but they weren't showing for me before so I wasn't sure.
Sounds like they do in fact need the fix then?

#68 ·
No, I got distracted with Reddit cause I'm a 'tard.

#70 ·
Working on it now... needed coffee first.

#71 ·
How's the first page looking? Can you guys see pics now? If so I'll keep going.

#73 ·
Yep, see em now. First try every page returned a crash notice but that was probly due to the server having a hiccup.

#74 ·
Cool, thanks. I'll continue when I get home from work.

#76 ·
Long day huh? Guess the bossman made him stay for a bit of overtime :D

#77 ·

They're done now :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.