Converting a piggyback shock in to a remote reservoir? - Page 8 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension

Brakes and Suspension Anything to do with fabricating and modifying brakes and suspension goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Converting a piggyback shock in to a remote reservoir?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-26-2018, 08:05 PM   #71
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:31 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Converting a piggyback shock in to a remote reservoir?

Shock blew up today. I hit a nasty pothole that was full of muddy water...never saw it until it was all over. Haven't autopsied the bike yet to see what actually failed, but according to the oil spray shooting up from my right foot I'm thinking it blew the diaphragm. Never felt like the back tire hit the hole that bad. Front tire felt nasty. I'm gonna check for a damaged rim. I felt the damping instantly go away, but riding the bike wasn't the least bit sketchy. Pretty much just felt like I was riding on the shit shock that the bike came with. The rear brake pads were dry so I pulled them out of the way and am just letting the bike drip off all the shock oil for now.

It took 4500 miles of shit roads to finally hurt something. I'm not calling the project a failure just yet.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-28-2018, 12:47 AM   #72
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Been hesitant to update here, but might as well tie up loose ends. And I talked to Seb about all this beforehand because I didn't want to appear like I was throwing him under the bus. Seb did a good job on what I sent him. Period.

The blockoff plate welded on to the shock is what failed. Why it failed is hard to say exactly. As you can see, the weld was still attached to both the cast shock body and the blockoff plate. The weld just split right in it's own center. Weird. But you can also see that the plate has a bad bulge to it. I wasn't monitoring the plate, so I can't say if it had been bulging all along and eventually tore the weld, or if it bent like that afterwards. Either way, I had about 4500 miles on this setup when it popped. While I don't guess I can call that a success, it's far from sketchy. The day the shot split, I tore it down that night and welded it all back up the next day. This time with a thicker blockoff plate. Almost 1000 miles on my repair and no more splits yet. Fingers crossed

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #73
psych0hans
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 02:01 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
psych0hans is making some friendspsych0hans is making some friendspsych0hans is making some friends

Hi Shiny, thanks for going through this whole process and enlightening us with what's possible. I'm about to so something similar, but my process is going to be WAY simpler, as there seems to be only one banjo bolt holding the reservoir to the shock body. I'll try making a small bit of hydraulic piping with a female to make collection, so the banjo can bolt in to one end and the pipe can bolt into the shock. I'll post progress pics here when I actually get to doing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4211.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	101416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4210.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	101418  
psych0hans is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived psych0hans!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #74
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Dude, you got it easy Let us know how it works out for you.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-24-2018, 11:42 PM   #75
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Finally got around to mounting the reservoir. Only took several thousand miles. My repair of the patch is at 4k miles now, so I reckon it stuck...or it's ready to blow any day...time will tell

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension