Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Can you use front wheels as rears?

4K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  ROBBO 
#1 ·
Hey there folks, first time poster. I am working on a 1977 KE175 and have a '99 sv650 front end that will be going on. For the rear, I would like to keep the same style wheel as the front (3 spoke) but I can't go as wide as a sv rear without a jack shaft. Since the front wheel has dual rotors, am I wrong in thinking I can just get a custom sprocket cut to replace one of the rotors on a front wheel and use it in the rear? Keep in mind, this bike makes 17hp so I highly doubt I'd need a Cush drive like that's on the Sv rear wheel. Thoughts?

#5 ·
I'm fairly sure that the 175 isn't enough to rip up a solid drive setup on a front wheel, so I see no issue at all with using a front wheel as a rear with a machined sprocket carrier and a rotor adapter setup on either side of it. Could allow you to get as close to stock spec as possible to fit the spindly little swingarm those things had.

CK's right, GS500E is 3.5, Katana 750 is 4 I think, and the GSXR750 slingshot wheel that is identical to the first two in spoke design, is 4.5. I've got all three floating around here, so if you need to know specific hub width on any of them shoot me a PM on here and I'll run out to my freshly organized shop and browse the tire rack with a tape measure. I've also got a GS500E front wheel kicking around here too, might be the right width for a rear wheel setup as it has rotor mounting holes on both sides despite the stock single disk setup. :D

#6 ·
I googled the clutch basket of a KE175. It's solid, not sprung- which typically calls for a cush in the rear hub. I know 17hp seems like not much, but the issue isn't power, it's the slack in the drive train. Every time you let off the throttle it'll be clicking the transmission gears back and forth. Even if it lasts, it'll probably feel real snatchy.

If you're considering getting a custom sprocket made to mount where the rotor goes, you'll first need to seriously increase the size of the hardware there IMO. I would want a minimum of 4 or 5 eight mm diameter bolts. Rotor mounting patterns are typically pretty small.

I dunno. I don't want to be the asshole who says "don't do it", but I'd definitely proceed with much planning.

If you get a custom sprocket made you could get the mounting holes drilled to any size you want and come up with your own set of cushions. Maybe some tight fitting, captured plugs of heavy durometer urethane.

Gotta thread for this build? I'd love to watch it.

#7 ·
I dunno. I don't want to be the asshole who says "don't do it", but I'd definitely proceed with much planning.

If you get a custom sprocket made you could get the mounting holes drilled to any size you want and come up with your own set of cushions. Maybe some tight fitting, captured plugs of heavy durometer urethane.

Gotta thread for this build? I'd love to watch it.

That's about where I'm at. Even using an off the shelf sprocket, you could put create a cush drive adapter.

#8 ·
Guys, thanks for the cordial honest feedback. Please be the "asshole" all you want as long as it's respectful. Great thoughts. The other route would be finding an 18" front rim to lace up or swap, and lower/shorten the forks. Would it be easy to call a company like Buchanan and have them cut a stock set of KE spokes short and thread for dual 17" rims? I've never done custom spokes.

#11 ·
Expect custom length spokes to run about $100-150 per wheel. That's just the spokes, of course, not lacing the rim ( which you can do easily).

I doubt seriously they'd be willing to shorten your existing spokes. Spoke threads are actually formed/rolled , not cut like we think with a die, for strength reasons.

You can buy the tool to roll new threads and cut your own spokes down, but I betcha it'd be cheaper to just have a made up in the long run.

#14 ·
About the custom spokes, I misspoke. I was curious if THEY, Buchanan, would just shorten a set they have laying around for a KE. I wasn't aware though that they are rolled not cut. Thanks.
I'm thinking now that there are pretty fixed limits I need to work within on my bike. Sprung and Unsprung weight for sure, as well as front end weight on my skinny head tube. Thanks for steering me towards new rims.

#21 ·
That Ducati idea is pretty cool, but maybe beyond the scope of my project and skills. So I did some horse trading and just picked up the front and rear off a 2004 ex250 ninja, and I think they will be great swaps instead of what I had in the sv gear. The front end is similar in fork length, and I will be finding/lacing a slim profile 17" rim to klr hubs to run a 110 front tire. The rear swingarm is 3" longer than the KEs, but will fit the pivot with very little massaging. I also think adding tabs to run dual shocks is a wise/ great looking idea to keep it in the vintage vein. The chain lines will match up easily too. I will find a stock 17" klr wheel to swap out the ninja rear and run a 130. I'll have to get a new sprocket for the 428 chain or is it possible to drill out the KE sprocket to match the ninja bolt pattern? Overall, I can't thank you all enough for giving me sound direction for my project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.