Forced induction ona thumper - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power

Making Power Anything to do with fabricating and modifying engines, carbs, ignition, etc. goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Forced induction ona thumper

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-03-2011, 01:02 AM   #11
John Prophet
That guy

CF Pimp
John Prophet's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Flip Offs: 64
Flipped Off 133 Times in 39 Posts
John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Forced induction ona thumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0regret5 View Post
all i've heard is, forced induction on a single is fucking difficult and fiddly. NOS is easier..
Of that I have little doubts, but likewise Ive never realy been a fan of NOS. Back when fast and the furious came out (when I had my grand national clone) all these little fuckers were strapping fire extinguishers into there cars painted blue with the nos brand logo on them. It was queer as fuck, but likewise we did have one of the little idiots who got called out as NOT having NOS ran to mommy and daddy who then funded his REAL NOS system on his honda civic, complete with ebay body kit fart can muffler, racing seats, and an intake right over the exhaust manifold.

EH long story short, he was the first car to beat me locally (did get smoked by a vette and a viper out of town at that point) but his car didnt survive long, I doubt he even emptied a full bottle down the motor before it finaly blew up.

And my little GN clone was actually pretty quick, I had the timing retarded a bit, fiberglass cowl hood and trunk lids (heavy on the old G bodies) plus it was whatever an 89 Iroc camaro V6 gear ratio was (3.23's?) complete with rear discs, and a shift kit. Motor wise the heads were totally revamped with 1.6 ratio roller rockers, bigger valves, P&P, thicker head gasket and the boost was ran at 9 pounds unless I was going to make abunch of short runs in which case I had to fill up with 93 octane and then use addative to get it closer to 95 octane and I then would run 10 pounds of boost. Intake and exhausts were likewise bigger than stock GN equipment also, exhaust was a single 3" through a flowmaster exiting in front of the passenger door. Jet black, PERFECT body (no bondo over maybe 1/16" thick) 5% VLT rear windows 33% on the doors, Iroc rims, no wing or spoiler and a 2" drop with KYBs and better springs. I LOVED that car, may the first of my junkyard builds RIP....

2011 Build off entry thread for Revelation
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=39157

2011 Build off discussion thread for Revelation
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=39156

Revelation's normal build thread
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...t=36848&page=5
John Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-03-2011, 01:03 AM   #12
dogbreath
Function IS Form
dogbreath's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:40 AM
Flip Offs: 27
Flipped Off 329 Times in 225 Posts
dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
2007 Streetfighter Buildoff - Head Turner Award 

Give it diesel compression and a giant nitrous shot and make a one-shot one-cylinder.

Dedication > Guts > Money > Luck > Talent
dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived dogbreath!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #13
dogbreath
Function IS Form
dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
Of that I have little doubts, but likewise Ive never realy been a fan of NOS. Back when fast and the furious came out (when I had my grand national clone) all these little fuckers were strapping fire extinguishers into there cars painted blue with the nos brand logo on them. It was queer as fuck, but likewise we did have one of the little idiots who got called out as NOT having NOS ran to mommy and daddy who then funded his REAL NOS system on his honda civic, complete with ebay body kit fart can muffler, racing seats, and an intake right over the exhaust manifold.
You can make an engine run reliably on nitrous for a quarter of the cost of forced induction. If someone's engine pops it's because they didn't build it for the shot they were putting into it.

This user High Fived dogbreath!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-03-2011, 01:10 AM   #14
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 111 Times in 48 Posts
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

MP Fab WR250X "Turbocharged"

Turbo Honda XR650

Not really my cup of tea, but Shift1313 might chime in on the subject if your lucky, and you may find more info on the trials of turbocharging a 4 stroke single through some research on the MP Fab turbo Yamaha. There is a video out there of the CEO of MP talking about how the boost pressure can force the intake valves open causing serious problems. Not to mention packaging is difficult. All things to check into with turbo thumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #15
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath View Post
Give it diesel compression and a giant nitrous shot and make a one-shot one-cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath View Post
You can make an engine run reliably on nitrous for a quarter of the cost of forced induction. If someone's engine pops it's because they didn't build it for the shot they were putting into it.

Truth.

Quote:
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #16
John Prophet
That guy

CF Pimp
John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

never thought about the boost being strong enough to open the intakes.
So would heavier weight springs be a solution for that, or would that inturn cause more wear on the cam?

NOS is definatly NOT an option for this build though, so if the forced induction idea isnt a sound one, then itll just have to be a NA motor.

Ben I figured you woulda loved the turbo DB?!

John Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived John Prophet!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-03-2011, 01:32 AM   #17
dogbreath
Function IS Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
NOS is definatly NOT an option for this build though, so if the forced induction idea isnt a sound one, then itll just have to be a NA motor.
There's no reason you can't used forced induction, save for any lack of funds or ingenuity :P

Are you aware that "NOS" is just a brand name?

This user High Fived dogbreath!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-03-2011, 02:49 AM   #18
John Prophet
That guy

CF Pimp

Yea this little idea is planned to be a crazy little town and city fighter, a huge pile of various parts combined to make the entity I am seeking, and with my bank account funds are defintly thick.

Yes NOS is just a brand were shortening and morphing the chemical name of nitrous oxide systems down to simply nos for the sake of our general lazyness tonight, at least that's my excuse.

This user High Fived John Prophet!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-03-2011, 03:18 AM   #19
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

Fighter of the Month 

I would dig a turbo thumper if there was much more of a point than pure power. Compared to a smaller twin with a turbocharger it's hard to warm up to the idea of turning a single into a fire breathing beast when I could bore out and build up the XT500 engine I have for much less and still make SV650 power out on the trails... as well as a flat track. Or around town.

I dunno. If I was going to turbocharge anything it would be a bike that already rips my arms out of the sockets. I mean really, if it's already overkill, and going to kill you, whats another 100hp?

I would pursue a big thumper like a Savage 650, or a 5-700cc twin for an around town rip. Don't need much more than that to grab a few items from the gas station and take the long way home. I'm partial to things like this for the around town fun. Wish I had one:

(XR500 powered too!)

Box stock:

I've always wanted one for the around town blitzing. The occasional back road burn. Just the fun stuff. No need to be super comfortable, no need to go wild with modification, or much else, it's a pretty cool bike all together and would make a nice machine overall as a second bike. Plus they are cheap.

Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #20
John Prophet
That guy

CF Pimp

The major downside Im encountering is my desire for it to remain kick start, no electric start on it what so ever.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power