Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

“Adventure” Bikes??

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Mongoose 
#1 ·
Since some of the guys have been getting adventure style bikes in many forms and a certain someones asked about maybe getting a woodsy/trail-riding/class 6 roads thing going on I’ve started looking into this type of motorcycle.

I really don’t know shit about these types of bikes. Multistradas kinda look sexy but I dont think id like it in the woods. DRZ and KLR’s just seem like heavy underpowered dirtbikes.

I think what im looking for is something that I would enjoy more off road, but wouldn’t mind riding on-road to get to the trail systems.

Thoughts/Suggestions/Comparisons? Pics?

#4 ·
Touchy subject. All depends on what you consider "riding offroad" and how much comfort you require on road. Is a dirt road offroad enough, or do you need a serious offroad machine?

Kinda gotta decide if you want a street legal dirt bike, a dual sport or what they are calling an Adventure Bike, but the adv bikes are sometimes so drastically different from one another that the whole thing strikes me as more of a style/fad than an actual tool.

IMO, the best do-it-all bike's currently out there are KTM 500EXC ( and it's Husky variants) and Honda CRF450L. The Honda is considerably smoother at speed, while the KTM has more down low grunt and is about 20lbs lighter. The 500 engine in the KTM has proved itself damn near bullet proof. It's basically a modern day XR.Neither has a seat you can spend all day on, even trail riding. The downside of a street legal dirt bike.

#5 ·
I have a KTM 1190 and to heavy for technical stuff off road, ok on gravel and back road riding. The 701 enduro/690 enduro is 145kg so light enough has the bullet proof 690 engine with 6k miles service intervals, also been used for round the world trips for years. Plenty of plastic kits out there to make it more appealing for long trips. 500exc as mentioned is a good bike but services are 10-15hrs weight is good at 110kg

KTM fan boy for everyday riding I'm afraid

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Pretty sure the Vitpilin is a cafe street bike.

KTM 690 Enduro is definitely worth considering.

What's your experience with dirt riding? A smaller, lighter bike will be worlds of fun in the dirt. An ADV bike in the dirt is a nightmare. Check the videos on you tube.

Been posting high end bikes, but I'll bet you'd have more fun with a WR250R.

Been thrashing my WR250X for about 10 years. Haven't even cracked the engine. Just spark plugs, air filter and oil changes. Close to 30,000 miles now. Done over 90 mph on the freeway 100s of times.

#10 ·
KTM 690 is head and shoulders above the test of it's class, which is considered the 650 dual sport class. KLR, DR and XR650L are so heavier with way less power. But the 690 isn't as much of a dirt as it's looks suggest. It's a 70hp single borrowed from the Duke. Obviously a single at power level is gonna turn some rpms. It's a revvy engine, not a torquey woods crawling in first gear engine. And it still has a tall first gear due to a street gearbox. They felt as top heavy to me as my old KLR, but with less power right off idle. Sure, there's tons more power up top, but it was enough of a deal killer for me to walk away.

But again, if you're not wanting a street legal dirt bike, the 690/701 is a great large dual sport. But with a dirt bike seat. A couple summers ago I was on a "dual sport" ride and one of the guys was on a 690 Enduro. I was on a XR400. Him and my buddy on a WR250F kept trading bikes with me due to sore asses, until I got tired of a sore ass and demanded my comfy seat back :D The guy with the 690 couldn't believe how much grunt my old 400 had off idle compared to his much bigger bike.

#11 ·
I always compare my 701 as half the 1190 [emoji23] street power is awesome and perfect for pissing off sports bikes in the Twisties. But as it's supermoto I don't really do my off roading except a few short cuts I know. But it's not the lightest bike as you said and very much a 690 duke. I don't necessarily agree with the comfort thing I have done 370miles in a day hard road riding and not felt it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.