DIY under-body exhaust - CBR400RR - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power

Making Power Anything to do with fabricating and modifying engines, carbs, ignition, etc. goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > DIY under-body exhaust - CBR400RR

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
leo_black_label
clean fight
CF Addict
leo_black_label's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:28 AM
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 9 Times in 7 Posts
leo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to beholdleo_black_label is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: DIY under-body exhaust - CBR400RR

and then there are guys on here who run a slash-cut midpipe and thats it. so do what ya want and be prepared to not like it and change it if it isnt good. youve got very little to loose if you are testing it out using cheap materials that you already have.
exept if you burn up valves. which i dont know anything about.
leo_black_label is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-06-2012, 03:56 AM   #12
ChrisE99
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 02:28 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
ChrisE99 is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustapha dump View Post
Just get you system repaired, fitting an under engine silencer like that will not make the bike run better. You'll lose midrange. Exhaust systems are the length and design they are for a very good reason. Cutting out 18 inches or so of the midpipe will screw up the resonance needed for the scavenging pulses. A short open pipe is fine if you are on the strip and just going flat out wide open throttle all the time, and you just need the spent gases out as fast as possible, but in the real world on a roadbike, you want to retain the low and midrange performance. The little 400cc bikes lack torque to start with, and with what you're intending you'll lose the little available torque you have.
I've seen all manner of exhaust systems fitted to the bikes that I've had in for setting up on my dyno, and the best performance is from a stockish style of pipe, underseat systems mess up the midrange just as the under motor systems do, same thing, by adding another 18 inches or so into the exhuast system again plys havoc with the resonance and timing of the scavengine pulses, bikes that have underseat systems or under engine systems as stock are designed from the outset to run with them, and will have different cam timing, ignition, etc to take use the increase or decrease in pipe length.
Look at the various aftermarket exhaust systems available for your particular model, they all look pretty similar in construction and design, that isn't a coincidence, it is because the design layout works best through the entire rev range.
Just the information I am looking for. Now I know what to expect. I'm going to give it a go anyway as a little experiment and to quell my curiosity. I will probably in the end, do as you suggest. The bike was running a stupid open SS 2'' can. It was loud as fuck. I ended up make a small reflective baffle the reduced the noise and improved the low and mid-range torque. The high end suffered a bit, but then again I don't need to travel around at 190kph in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_black_label View Post
and then there are guys on here who run a slash-cut midpipe and thats it. so do what ya want and be prepared to not like it and change it if it isnt good. youve got very little to loose if you are testing it out using cheap materials that you already have.
exept if you burn up valves. which i dont know anything about.
Yep, I'm going to experiment. The old setup was very free flowing, I baffled it a bit for back pressure and to protect the valves. My design above uses a reflective (restrictive?) and absorption baffle. This should increase back pressure and protect the valves.

This bike is a project bike; I don't use it to commute. So if I mess up it is not the end of the world. I an however planning to use it for my EE B-Tech project.

Thanks again for the advise guys!
ChrisE99 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived ChrisE99!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
eatabullet

eatabullet's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:28 AM
Flip Offs: 252
Flipped Off 126 Times in 66 Posts
eatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on here

hey mustapha,

what about increasing the mid pipe length? will that affect anything negatively?

my plan with an underbody involves a few bends, and I believe, an overall incease in length of the system. (maybe, it still may not fit)
eatabullet is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
Titanium
Fighter
Titanium's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:28 PM
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Titanium is making some friendsTitanium is making some friendsTitanium is making some friends

If your very clever with a bender / welding set you could loose the intermediate pipe length under the bike by curling it back round !

e.g

My T59 project http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=50593

Go Big, Go Loud, Go Proud or Go Home

Better to just look an idiot than open your mouth and confirm it

If you never try, you'll never fail and then you'll never learn
Titanium is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Titanium!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-07-2020, 01:00 PM   #15
Dust2Dust02
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 07:28 AM
Flipped Off 2 Times in 1 Post
Dust2Dust02 is a NOOB

ARISE THREAD!!! LIVE AGAIN!!!

I would like to do something similar with a F800r. How did this end up?

Thank you for all your content!
Dust2Dust02 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-07-2020, 01:37 PM   #16
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:28 AM
Flip Offs: 312
Flipped Off 173 Times in 149 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 

OP has not been back since 2012. You can try to PM him and hope he has notifications enabled and still has the same email address.

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived MikeGyver!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-28-2020, 05:13 AM   #17
rex_saugerty
V four honda whore
rex_saugerty's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 40 Times in 39 Posts
rex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGyver View Post
OP has not been back since 2012. You can try to PM him and hope he has notifications enabled and still has the same email address.
do you still have the same email from 2012?

1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0
rex_saugerty is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-28-2020, 08:06 AM   #18
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:28 PM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_saugerty View Post

yeah, i have the same one from 2002 at least
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post Yesterday, 12:04 AM   #19
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:28 AM
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_saugerty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
yeah, i have the same one from 2002 at least
I have my first two personal emails and regularly use both, only ones I have lost are different schools and different work places.

2011 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2006 Suzuki SV650N, 1994 Yamaha XJ600S and 1979 Suzuki GS750LN
Can't leave them alone...

Time to find a nice VStrom 1000 to round me up to 5...
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power