RZ350 the 2019 re-frame - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > RZ350 the 2019 re-frame

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-04-2019, 07:14 PM   #11
make that thing forkless
forks and valves... WTF?
Senior Fighterer
make that thing forkless's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:47 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: RZ350 the 2019 re-frame

Forkless is back!

Sorry for the long delay, but I got blocked by two work related trips to Suzhou, China and then a few weekends working on putting this little race bike back on the road...

[IMG]20190502_145554 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Anyway, I finally had some time to jump back into the RZ350 frame project. Put in some more effort on the CAD model. My focus was on getting the swignarm further developed. I added the right side main tube which will have an arc for pipe clearance. Also started adding brace tubes and modeled in a chain with 10mm offset from the stock position. This should allow clearance for using stock off-set or the 10mm off-set chain line. As mentioned in my previous post, the linkage and geometry is modeled off a TZR250 so the goal is to have options for either swingarm in the future. Here's some updates of the CAD...

[IMG]20190404 image 1.0 rz350 frame assembly 2019 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190404 image 1.1 rz350 frame assembly 2019 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190404 image 1.2 rz350 frame assembly 2019 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190404 image 1.3 rz350 frame assembly 2019 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190404 image 1.4 rz350 frame assembly 2019 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

In addition to the CAD work, I've also started collecting parts...

Engine is actually a 350 Banshee, so essentially an RZ350 minus the powervalves. Since I plan to build this bike for this years DirtBag Challenge, I need to keep the budget close to or under $2000. So a Banshee engine will be plenty fun and this one was only $500 on CL. It came with an extra head and both were pretty beat from loose debris (likely a failed bearing cage), so my friend Brian Turfrey hooked me up with some machine work to surface the head and re-cut the combustion cambers, now with slightly higher compression. The engine was missing the carbs, so found a great deal on carbs, with manifolds, pod filters and boost bottle on eBay.

The cases are broken in a non functional area so I could use as-is, but I've got some RZ cases I'll swap and then be able to run a tach. I've also got boxes of side covers, so should be able to easily assembly a complete engine. I'm probably now at around $750 for the engine.

[IMG]20190504_143929 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190504_144046 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190504_144720 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

I also found a good deal on this Toomey Racing filter and jet kit. I probably will run the dual pods to keep my budget lower, but will make sure the frame has ample clearance for the Toomey style filter.

[IMG]20190504_144538 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Next, I'll show a pile of pipes that I'll likely pull a set to chop up later. Second from the left is a set of John Lassak pipes that were given to me, so those are an obvious choice to modify to fit the new frame and not impact budget. On the far right are a crappy set of SpecII pipes, since I have minimal opinions of these, these are also candidates to be cut and modified... but that's a ways away.

[IMG]20190504_143948 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last, wanted to show the wheels and forks that will be used. The forks are 2001-03 GSXR600. The wheels are DRZ400 hubs (off-road version) laced with 17" Warp 9 supermoto rims. The front wheel will eventually get an aftermarket 320mm rotor.

The wheels and forks were inherited when a good friend passed away a few years back (FUCK CANCER!!!) Eric had started building a KZ400 cafe bike and never got to see it finished, so it will be a nice memento to use this wheels on this bike.

[IMG]20190504_143642 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thats it for now. Stay tuned for more, hopefully without the long delays
make that thing forkless is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived make that thing forkless!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #12
make that thing forkless
forks and valves... WTF?
Senior Fighterer
make that thing forkless's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

I did a little more CAD work last night trying to decide on how to fabricate the mount for the shock linkage. First concept is a bent heavy gauge sheet metal bracket...

[IMG]20190405 image 1.4 rz350 frame assembly 2019 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190405 image 1.5 rz350 frame assembly 2019 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Alternative idea is to stay with tubing and bungs. This is a bit more work to fabricate, but keeps the construction method looking more consistent. I'm probably leaning toward this design...

[IMG]20190405 image 1.3 rz350 frame assembly 2019 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190405 image 1.2 rz350 frame assembly 2019 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Also wanted to see what it would look like with dual shocks. I might do this for the Dirtbag build...

[IMG]20190405 image 1.0 rz350 frame assembly 2019 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190405 image 1.1 rz350 frame assembly 2019 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]
make that thing forkless is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-19-2019, 10:45 PM   #13
make that thing forkless
forks and valves... WTF?
Senior Fighterer
Fighter of the Month 

A little more CAD progress. Main frame is roughed in. I'm thinking about using inserts for the swingarm pivot mounts so put some circular clamps into the model. Still lots of details to add, followed by lots of fine tuning, but at least starting to look like a motorcycle now...

[IMG]201905019 image 1.0 rz350 frame assembly 2019 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]201905019 image 1.1 rz350 frame assembly 2019 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]201905019 image 1.2 rz350 frame assembly 2019 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2019, 04:02 AM   #14
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 3
MDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant future

Swingarm pivot inserts to, presumably,have an offset pivot point and thus allow for some adjustability?
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2019, 04:12 AM   #15
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 07:47 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Strikes me you know your way around chassis geometry well enough to get it right first time and save yourself the trouble of making adjustable pivots?

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2019, 05:06 AM   #16
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

you could say the same of any of the major manufacturers, but plenty high end and race bikes still have the adjustability
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #17
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Lover
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:47 AM
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
you could say the same of any of the major manufacturers, but plenty high end and race bikes still have the adjustability
I imagine that has a lot to do with letting you run different height tires, as different manufacturers are different.

Just a guess though.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #18
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

i thought it more to set up bikes for diff riders ?
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #19
make that thing forkless
forks and valves... WTF?
Senior Fighterer
Fighter of the Month 

First off thanks for the comments and feedback. The adjustable swingarm pivots are to satisfy three issues...

- the primary idea is to allow for swingarms of different widths or different pivot shaft diameters without needed for shims or spacers. The inserts can be easily turned to different inside diameter and length. As previously mentioned, the swingarm is based on a TZR250 which is fairly wide at the pivot, however they aren't easy to source. If I end up making duplicate frames and selling a few, this will allow users to easily adapt other swinagrms of different widths if they wish. It might not be needed for this reason, in which case see reasons 2 and 3...

- second is to allow fine tuning of the pivot location (as most comments allude to).

- third is the bling factor... this is also important, right?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-21-2019, 04:57 AM   #20
bonehead
Fucking Retard
Fighter
Flipped Off 5 Times in 3 Posts
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Fighter of the Month 

[quote=make that thing forkless;3124674]A little more CAD progress. Main frame is roughed in. I'm thinking about using inserts for the swingarm pivot mounts so put some circular clamps into the model. Still lots of details to add, followed by lots of fine tuning, but at least starting to look like a motorcycle now...

[IMG]201905019 image 1.1 rz350 frame assembly 2019 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Very interested in what you are doing here, what information do you use to determine the type and size of the tubes to make the frame strong enough, motor mounts are sorta straight forward but what about the other design elements, how many tubes and where?

Many thanks in advance.
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes