Nathan's CBR600F - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2018 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Nathan's CBR600F

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
Natan
Fighterer
Natan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:21 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Natan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant future
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner 
Default Nathan's CBR600F

Yet another imaginatively titled build.

Plans for this year consist of:
More aggressive styling - new headlight, subframe, tail unit. I'm thinking something pointy-ish;
full bare frame rebuild - bit more comprehensive than last year;
paint and powdercoat everything (no more primer and boat paint!);
modified swing arm and Fireblade rear wheel.

So this summer ended with the bike sitting as such:

I rode the tits off it all summer and loved it. Such a fun bike, even if the rear shock is seized up and transmits every impact directly up your asshole.

In the week or two prior to the build-off start date I'd started stripping the bike down completely.

Proof of date/starting condition:

2018 Winter Buildoff - CBR600F - Build - Discussion
Natan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Natan!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #2
Natan
Fighterer
Natan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant future
Default Re: Nathan's CBR600F

So after spreading the whole bike over half the garage and a few close calls i decided to tidy up a bit.

I'm going to get the frame and swingarm sandblasted at my work so that I can work from bare metal. Plus I'll see how bad the foosty bits of rust are. I made up a couple of blanks for the steering stem on the lathe in the tool room at work.

That's right, I'm now a pro latheologist. Hit me up if you need poorly-finished cylindrical objects made out of scrap aluminium!

Tonight I'll strip the swing arm. The idea is to get a wee bit done in the garage every day even if it's something totally minor.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2017, 06:48 AM   #3
Natan
Fighterer

So the frame and swing arm were dropped at work for sandblasting on Friday. Should pick them up on Wednesday when I'm back at work. In other news, that's my apprenticeship over, so I'm now a qualified maintenance engineer. Yass!

After spending Friday night and much of Saturday half-crippled from the start of a big back tattoo, I pottered about a bit. My new bar switches arrived:

Along with some METALLLL!

On Sunday I started cleaning up the engine for painting. I won't be painting it for ages yet but thought I'd clean it well in advance and give myself something to do. Had a couple of goes with pound shop oven cleaner. Here's the before and after:

Better than I expected but still some stank on there.
I've never painted an engine so any tips? I'm not sure if there's clear coat on the block and head or not so should I fire in about it with paint stripper as well? Do i actually have to use VHT paint and primer?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #4
Natan
Fighterer

The engine is coming along alrighty, one of those jobs you regret starting immediately but it'll pay for itself:

And the new tail section finally arrived. And it's too big love the shape though:

I was already leaning towards making a girder style subframe with lots of box section but figured I'd take a chance on the KTM replica tail. Unfortunately it's too wide and it would be too much work for me to cut, narrow and shut so I'll go back to Plan A! At least that way it's ALL home made I'll try to put in a bit more effort into the tail cover this time around though.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #5
Natan
Fighterer

Well, that tail unit sold pretty quickly. Sorry guys I'm going to make a start on the new subframe tomorrow, weather permitting.

This one is sure to split the room..(in a rather one-sided fashion):

Building it up...

The rear height is all to fuck now but ta-daaa

I know it's pretty much nobody's cup of tea these days but I think they look cool. It's just the look I'm going for. Apart from the whole six foot high ass...I've ordered an R6 shock and suspension lowering link to try to bring it back into shape.

Edit: this is solely for mock-up purposes. The swing arm still needs de-tabbed and the caliper bracket-bracket cut and moved back.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
Natan
Fighterer

Put the new headlight on. It's only on using the rubber straps it came with but they'll do for mocking it up until I find some kind of nice brackets for them.

Next to my other long-suffering project!

And here's the profile shot:

I'm super happy with the stance. Once I lower the rear and if my plan for the new subframe works out it'll look super badass.
Spent a lot of the afternoon filling in the plugs on the swing arm:

Although my cack-handedness with the flap wheel ended up making them worse! I'm not sure even powdercoat would cover up the unevenness:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #7
Natan
Fighterer

The R6 shock arrived nice and quick. Went out to the batcave to offer it up and it only needs minor work doing for it to work. I need to take 1mm off this sleeve for the mounting eye at one end:

And make up a couple of little spacers for the bottom mount. I'll also need to file a little bit out of the shock/swing arm/dogbone linkage. No more reservoir cable tied to the frame!

(I've mounted it upside down for reservoir clearance reasons)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #8
Natan
Fighterer

Turned up a couple of spacers for the bottom shock mount. Also took 1mm off the upper shock mounting sleeve for it to fit the CBR frame. I'm telling you, all this machining work has me fending off bitches with a shitty stick!

I'm going to try designing a subframe end of this week. I'm thinking box section with lots of bracing, looking industrial as fook. Tough to get started when it's dark and cold by the time you get home from work though.

On the plus side, new contract at work comes with an almost 50% pay increase. Yass! More bike goodies

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #9
Natan
Fighterer

Can't upload photos to imgur on my phone, but little update - the body of the R6 shock is fouling on the cylindrical part of the swing arm linkage (probably naming it wrong - I mean the bit that mounts on the swing arm and connects the dogbone and shock mount). I took notches out the sides but the base of the shock still fouls so I'm not sure what to do...might just use it to make templates and have one custom made to suit. Pictures to follow later to clarify my gibberish

This user High Fived Natan!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #10
Natan
Fighterer

My lowering link arrived from the States. Despite shock clearance issues I half-assed everything together loose to see how it would sit.

I adjusted it so it was 1.5" longer than the standard dogbone as a starting point.

That's more like it! will probably sit a tad low once the engine is in though. That's the swing arm just about finished now too by the way.

One thing I noticed with that adjustable suspension link - it comes with sleeves to put inside the ball joints for the mounting bolts to fit through, and, well...

That's not a clearance fit - that's what I like to call an 'apprentice electrician clearance hole," for reasons I won't go into
I'll get new ones made up soon.

Also:

Box section subframe? Yay or nay? It's my current plan, although admittedly only for aesthetic reasons

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2018 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads