Nathan's CBR600F - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2018 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Nathan's CBR600F

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #11
Natan
Fighterer
Natan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:18 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Natan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant future
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner 
Default Re: Nathan's CBR600F

Couple of mock ups tonight.
I haven't looked into these from from any realistic point of view so if they're technically unsafe or prone to collapse or even just plain fuck ugly let me know!

Hey, technically it's still box section right?

2018 Winter Buildoff - CBR600F - Build - Discussion
Natan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Natan!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-25-2017, 06:35 AM   #12
Natan
Fighterer
Natan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant futureNatan has a brilliant future

Well, it's not the most elegant solution, but hopefully after a bit of filing and re-shaping it'll look standard:

Seems to be sitting nicely now, feels comfortable when sitting on it. Plus it looks pretty badass if I say so myself:

I'm tempted to start painting bits as I go, but I know that'll just mean it'll never get powdercoated or done properly like last time.
Got a long weekend so going to chop the subframe and start goofing about with box section today

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #13
Natan
Fighterer

Choppy choppy!

Debating going with something simple for the subframe. Might look neat with something quite minimalist with the stretched swingarm. Maybe use some curved steel sheet to box in the joins and blend the legs in?

Got my lengths of box section cut and ready but it's dark and cold as balls so I'll get tacking tomorrow. Glad to get some stuff done today though.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #14
Natan
Fighterer

Got a decent bit done today.
Here's my daft-looking clamp setup to tack in the top frame rails in line:

If it looks stupid, but it works, it ain't stupid

Taped up the bottom supports to see how they lined up, then tacked them in:

I also managed to weld in the rear tank support from the original subframe. That bracket has seen some shit!
Slapped some matte black on to cover it with something, then back into the light:

Now to mess around with tail ideas. Had a few thoughts but nothing really jumps at me. I'm going to trawl the forum for some inspiration.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #15
Natan
Fighterer

I made up a pair of templates using aerospace grade cardboard that I absolutely didn't loot out of the bin:

And chopped up a 90 degree bend I had in square tube to make a pointy thang:

Tacked it up and stuck a template undertray on:

So the stubby pointy tail won't have room for my battery any more, which is completely intentional and not at all because I forgot to take sizes properly. But it might work to my advantage, 'cause the battery can go where the ICU sat previously:

And I can have a wee fuse panel and the ICU sitting inside the tail under a removable cover. I'll try to come up with some kind of battery tray/clamp for under the tank to protect it from road shite and keep it secure.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #16
Natan
Fighterer

Was out late the other night tacking in the seat backing. Spent about four hours with a hacksaw and files trying to get the angles right!

Slapped on some yoga mat foam I had lying from making the last seat:

It's a neat fit - I'll need to lay off the pizza for when it's done! Also, I think I need to angle the new bit back so it doesn't cut me a new arsehole!

Stripped it down to the frame so I can take it to my mate's place to get the subframe fully welded up with the TIG plant. Hopefully I can smooth the welds and plate up the lower legs for a smooth joint with the top rails.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #17
Natan
Fighterer

Splurged on eBay - relays, fuse panel, etch primer and engine enamel. The enamel arrived next day and I can't wait to try it. Hopefully I can prep the engine well enough for it to look alright once I figure out a way to suspend it.

Some sick Honda-on-Honda action:

The frame all welded up, ready to sand down some of the welds tomorrow:

I'm making plans to buy a TIG welder now that I'm on a new contract and rolling in the benjamins.
I also got new sleeves and spacers machined for the rear shock (out of steel, to replace my shady aluminium ones).

So I was looking at my bar switches and tried doing a little diagram - does this seem right? I've never really used automotive relays before. I'll hopefully have the fuses AND relays in the tail so I'd like to keep the wiring from front-to-rear of the bike to a minimum. Excuse my cramped writing:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #18
Natan
Fighterer

Been working on the back of the tail all weekend. Think it's pretty much done apart from mounting holes for the seat and tail light mounting, if I can ever actually find one...

If someone goes into the back of the bike, they're losing an eye

Stuck a couple of bars on it to bolt the seat pan through once it's made:

Thought I was done until I remembered I needed a base inside the tail for my electronic gubbins:

Ta-daa:

I still can't decide on a colour scheme either. So much to do!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #19
Natan
Fighterer

Roughed out a seat pan:

Got my new spacers and sleeves in. I love getting new bits made. The old shitey ones are next to the new items for comparison:

Seat pan still needs finishing at the front before I start laying foam on it. Like the stance though:

Having a night off tomorrow. Might try to finish the wiring setup I'm testing on the bench just to get my head round it before I start wiring the bike.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #20
Natan
Fighterer

Haven't done a great deal lately on the bike. Been letting new tattoos heal, doing some christmas shopping and ordering more stuff for the bike - got seat foam and vinyl coming so hopefully will have a crack at that soon. Going to dig out the old fibreglass kit and have a go at making the tail cover next week at some point as well.

Here's the bench testing of my mini switch setup to go on the clip ons. I just had to make sure the switches wouldn't burn out or anything.

By the way, that horn sounds fucking hilarious I need to find out where I can mount it on the bike.
I also made a dual element circuit so I could use a wee LED truck marker light for a brake & tail light. Here's the mockup:

Started making a bracket for them too:

Ended up fucking it by breaking my only 3mm drill bit after it wandered, so I'll make one at work tomorrow.
Here's what you end up with when you don't have photoshop

I'm not sure what colour to do the valve cover and casings though. Thoughts?

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2018 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads