Racing Geek's Polished Turd - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2018 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Racing Geek's Polished Turd

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-05-2017, 12:07 AM   #1
Racing Geek
lb/hp is what it's about!
Racing Geek's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:15 AM
Flip Offs: 168
Flipped Off 83 Times in 73 Posts
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Scavenger Hunt 
Default Racing Geek's Polished Turd

I wasn't going to enter a full build this year but I've been doing it so long that it didn't feel right to skip all the fun.

I bought these on a whim in early October at the Barber Motorsports Vintage Motorcycle event in Alabama. Frame VIN numbers say they're both 73 models but the orange one has the bodywork from a 78 and at some point over the years it recieved a 70cc big bore kit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171104_222433.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	98856

Name:	IMG_20171104_223136.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	98858

The chrome one is a 110cc China special.

Name:	IMG_20171104_222908.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	98860

I've been trying to get them all running over the last month with no success. The 70 has an electrical issue (spark is random), the 50 has all kinds of issues, and the 110 had a carb issue. Took the bikes to friends place tonight and after some screwing around we got the 110 running.

The 35mph test ride was a little sketchy because it is raining, the rear tire is flat, the rear brake won't slow you down, the front brake was locking up the wheel instantly, the tape holding the gas tank in place kept coming loose so it would fall off the bike, the seat foam is laughable, and the rear shock has horrible damping so it was like being on a pogo stick that bottoms out on every stroke. I didn't die so it all worked out in the end.

Friend has a Grom so the end goal is to put the 110 engine into the 50 and beat him up on track with this turd next season. Should be fun!
Racing Geek is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Racing Geek!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-05-2017, 08:53 PM   #2
Racing Geek
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Scavenger Hunt 
Default Re: Racing Geek's Polished Turd

Step #1: Remove China engine

Name:	IMG_20171105_140814.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	98882

Step #2: Remove engine from z50

Name:	IMG_20171105_151043.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	98884

Step #3: Fit China engine to z50

Name:	IMG_20171105_181924.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	98886

Step #4: Chain is hooked up and the throttle cable is connected but ghetto rigged with washers and other misc carb parts to get proper adjustment. Stock exhaust won't quite fit and the China exhaust interferes with the shocks. Carb also doesn't fit under the tank. Back of the tank needs to move over about 1" so I'll probably make a new elbow. The China clutch lever won't work because I need a two piece mount since there are things it can't slide past. I also need a longer plug wire and to splice the China wiring into the stock switches.

Name:	IMG_20171105_181352.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	908.4 KB
ID:	98888

Name:	IMG_20171105_181441.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	98890
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
Racing Geek
Scavenger Hunt 

This was supposed to be a simple build. Slap the China engine into a bike, free up the brakes, new tires and chain, new bushings, paint, and ride it.

Well typical to my builds, simple and easy get put aside for custom and complicated. Since I started thinking about this as more of a track bike than pit bike the stock forks don't make me happy. They're basically springs on a stick and I'd like a damper rod or cartridge to make things less pogo stick-ey. Problem is everything I'm finding is 4+" too long and they can't easily be lowered without running into several other issues. My only option is to either live with pogo sticks or make my own custom forks. Working on a plan to do just that. I'm thinking keep the original USD look. This should get interesting.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-14-2017, 01:07 AM   #4
Racing Geek
Scavenger Hunt 

See, this is what I'm talking about. It starts with "I'll just swap out the engine since it's only a couple bolts and it's done." Then I happen to run across a smog pump in my pile of parts and now I'm thinking it probably needs a supercharger.

Name:	IMG_20171113_222343.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	98996

Name:	IMG_20171113_222415.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	98998

Name:	IMG_20171113_222538.jpg
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	99000
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-03-2017, 04:47 AM   #5
Racing Geek
Scavenger Hunt 

Haven't worked on this for a while but some friends got together for a garage night and here's where I'm at with making some USD forks.

Step #1: Steal more parts from the China bike

Name:	IMG_20171202_220048.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	99164

Step #2: Take China forks apart and be amazed by the fact there isn't a fork bushing in sight

Name:	IMG_20171202_214131.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	99166

Step #3: Cut a chunk off the forks and pretend you know what you're doing

Name:	IMG_20171202_220008.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	99168

Step #4: Act like you know what you're doing so your friends stop giving you shit about ruining usable forks

Name:	IMG_20171202_231504.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	99170
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-03-2017, 11:10 PM   #6
Racing Geek
Scavenger Hunt 

Brought home another bike today. This one has a 125 engine that will go into the other z50. The rest of it will receive the 250 2t from my KTM to make a badass mini moto.

Name:	IMG_20171203_193554.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	99174

Name:	IMG_20171203_193253.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	99172

Name:	IMG_20171203_193309.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	99176
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-09-2017, 01:03 AM   #7
Racing Geek
Scavenger Hunt 

Tonight I took the engine out of the other z50 and swapped in the 125 from the aluminum framed pit bike I just bought.

Name:	IMG_20171208_224226.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	99218

The petcock is in the way of the carb but it looks like the carb will clear tank. Just needs a 90* fitting before the petcock. Because of the petcock issue and the tank needing to be cleaned I ended up getting it running on starting fluid for now.

Name:	IMG_20171208_224708.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	99220

The 125 is also a lot wider than the stock z50. You can see the stock rear brake lever hiding under the clutch cover.

Name:	IMG_20171208_223407.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	99222

Granted there's no air in the tires but with the bike vertical, the kicker clears the ground with 1/2" to spare.

Name:	IMG_20171208_223523.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	948.2 KB
ID:	99224

When I sit all the way back on the seat my knees are even with the front of the triples. I'm a bit big for the bike but that makes it more fun.

Name:	IMG_20171208_230436.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	99226
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-09-2017, 01:18 AM   #8
Racing Geek
Scavenger Hunt 

These pictures make me laugh every time I look them and since some of you may have never seen a z50 in person, this will give you a better idea of how small they are. Here is one of them next to my Buell XB12r which is already small compared to most supersports.

Name:	FB_IMG_1512710758149.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	99228

Name:	FB_IMG_1512710765403.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	99230
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-10-2017, 11:58 PM   #9
Racing Geek
Scavenger Hunt 

All I managed to get done on the z50's this weekend is clean up one of the fork uppers for the custom USD forks and I finalized how I'm making the rest of it work. At least I hope it works out how I planned.

Name:	IMG_20171210_145458.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	99298

I also took the aluminum pit bike frame to a friend's and used his RM250 engine for mock up since my KTM is buried in the storage unit. Didn't want to cut anything since it isn't the engine I'll be using but at least rough dimensions are the same so I know it's going to be possible now. Hardest part of this build will be putting the radiator somewhere that won't make it look hideous. Won't be going any further with this until Spring. Here's a pic of a normally small engine looking huge.

Name:	IMG_20171209_174754.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	99300
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-12-2017, 01:08 AM   #10
Racing Geek
Scavenger Hunt 

So this is the plan for the forks. This is 18.5" from the top of the fork to axle center line just like the stock pogo sticks. I have about 3.75" of travel before things make contact. Spring rate will be .59kg/mm. I'm still thinking about making my own cartridge emulators and scraping the damper rod idea.

If anyone can see a problem, feel free to call me an idiot and let me know why otherwise I'll keep moving forward with this.

Name:	Fork Assembly without Caliper.jpg
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	99302

Name:	Fork Assembly without Caliper1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	99304

I'm also trying to work out a deal for a mini supercharger. Not another smog pump but a real mini supercharger. Fingers crossed!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2018 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads