Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

JD' 2006 Yamaha R1 Project: "Deer Hunter" Discussion Thread

13K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  Greencheezeeta 
#1 ·
#4 ·
such a nice lookin bike, and its not even done.

#9 ·
this is gonna be one clean fightin machine

#12 ·
Dude, that is going to be a sick looking bike. I like the braided rad hoses a lot...

#16 ·
umm...any concerns of taking the damper off?? r1's might be a bit sketchy without one no?

bikes coming along great man. looking great.

kahbin fiibah?? you must be from the north east with that accent. haha.

#22 ·
can we get more pics of your lights

#25 ·
Hmm, DougZ has a nice set-up in his buildoff thread that was cheaper than the big baller GPR's and stuff, might consider that. I was debating leaving mine off due to making the headlight mount easier, but i thought that was kind of silly. So I worked around it, but its up to you. I don't know exactly how much it's going to do on or off, but I wouldn't want to say after an accident "wish i'd left that on". My two cents.

Nate

#26 ·
Looks great man, more pictures please.

Question for you, where did you get the rad hoses and the clamp covers and what sizes are they. I looked allover and ended up buying some hose end covers for my project but I think it looks crap and is too big. I like the ones you have on your bike..

#28 ·
honestly im not feelin the light/ wind screen set up.
can we get a side shot of the whole bike?

i'd also relocate the horn.

can you mount the damper below the lower tiple?

#32 ·
Do you have any close ups of the wires that I assume you tucked inside the frame. It looks like you removed the little piece of heat resistant material that was on there. The reason I ask is I parked my bike at the job all day and then rode a little while and went home. When I got home all the wires I hid were pretty hot and soft. Basically I have to ride it some more to figure it out but it seems pretty unsafe getting that hot.

Bike is coming out sweet man.

#33 ·
I'll get so closeup shot this weekend. Did you hide the wires in the air intake of the frame or are you wanting pics of the wires running under the frame and sit on top of the valve cover, right and left sides?

have you thought about wrapping the wires with heat resistant material?

JD

#34 ·
I think I'm going to have to wrap the wires with something. Some of my wires are in the airbox area, but the ones that run to the bars/light/horn etc are run inside the framerail on top of the valve cover. The problem seems to be on the right side of the bike and I could have sworn that I smelled some burning. I haven't gotten a chance to ride it since but I really don't want the bike to catch fire. Hopefully, tomorrow I can ride it to work and check it out further.

#35 ·
We I between the ride to Erico Motorsports and the dyno runs I put over 100 miles on the bike today. No problems with the wiring getting hot. It was a cool day though, 19deg when I left this morning. The bike never got hot enought for the rad fans to kick in. I'm running Honda rad fuild and Water Wetter that helps keeps the bike cool. I think I'm good with any over heating issues. :run:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.