Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes - Page 46 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-11-2019, 03:03 AM   #451
crazyjon's
GURU
Fighterer
crazyjon's's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:06 AM
Flip Offs: 17
Flipped Off 5 Times in 4 Posts
crazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant future
Default Re: Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

Did you adjust those tight valves? That makes them really hard to start.

"Practice till the hot brass burns the cheeks of your ass" F. Bob Chow
crazyjon's is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #452
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:06 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjon's View Post
Did you adjust those tight valves? That makes them really hard to start.
Yes, I did. The bike is back to starting cold with only two kicks. Not happy that the valves needed adjustment so soon. Only been about 60 hrs or so since they were readjusted when I had to replace valve seals.

Found this poking around on ebay. $40 "performance cam" that suggest 15% boost in power. Based on a stock bike ( 30hp, 26 tq) that would be +4.5hp and +3.75 tq. That much hp for $40 is a bargain. Do I believe it? Probably not. But I'm tempted to order one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Xr400...item23b3033f60

Messaged the seller and got about as much of an answer as I expected. Was actually hoping for a re-grind TBH.
Attached Images

shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-12-2019, 09:44 PM   #453
beezwiz
GURU
CF Addict
beezwiz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:06 AM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 14 Times in 8 Posts
beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Prayers for your Grandfather Eric. Hope all is well soon.

Also praying for you and your spiked tires.
Did that years ago on my XT500 when boredom set in one winter. 2 friends & I had a limp until the following fall.

Don't be the chaser, be the one who is chased. You are the Tequila... not the lime.
beezwiz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-12-2019, 10:13 PM   #454
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezwiz View Post
Prayers for your Grandfather Eric. Hope all is well soon.

Also praying for you and your spiked tires.
Did that years ago on my XT500 when boredom set in one winter. 2 friends & I had a limp until the following fall.
Thanks, Beez. Grandpa is not going in for his procedure for a while. Doc wants him off his blood thinners for at least seven days before they cut on him He's got a spot bleeding in one of his lungs and they are gonna go in and see what it is. Everyone is freaking out worrying about him getting blood clots being off the thinners. I don't know if 1 week is enough to cause issues or not. Much appreciate the prayers!

Sadly, never got a reason to mount the spikes. The ground never froze enough to need them and we didn't get much ice this year. This winter has actually been a mudfest
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-13-2019, 05:42 AM   #455
crazyjon's
GURU
Fighterer
crazyjon's's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:06 AM
Flip Offs: 17
Flipped Off 5 Times in 4 Posts
crazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant future

Personally I wouldn't put some questionable, undocumented, 40$, ebay cam in my trusty steed.

Also it loses the auto-decomp.... Not cool.

I wonder if it gives up some bottom end for peak power?

That said: What is there to lose!?!

Jon

"Practice till the hot brass burns the cheeks of your ass" F. Bob Chow
crazyjon's is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-13-2019, 08:14 AM   #456
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

I already removed the auto decomp anyway. It made the bike a pain to kick. You couldn't feel TDC anywhere so you're just kicking blindly. I reckon it'd be easy enough to measure the specs of the cam before going to the trouble of installing it. Chance are it's a copy cam, so the specs are probably just from HRC or Hot and, etc. It's the metallurgy I worry about.
This user High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #457
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Snowed out of working today, so I showed the XR4 some love. I'm eat up with the wrinkle black lately.

The timing plugs are Chinesium's. My large port cover got cracked when I dropped it on a rock and this was the least offensive color they sold

I dig it. Visually slims the motor down a bit. Was tempted to do the bashplate, too...but figured what's the use!

These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-20-2019, 09:17 PM   #458
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:06 AM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Was tempted to do the bashplate, too...but figured what's the use!
To better show the battle scars

Looks good!

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived mcantar!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-25-2019, 10:13 PM   #459
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

So, it turns the emissions police even got ahold of the XR400's. Apparently the '96-97 models had more aggressive ignition timing than the '98 and on models. Mine is a '98. Seems the went to a different flywheel in '98 that had the ignition relocated to retard timing, and the early CDI boxes had a higher rev limiter along with more timing advance.

I've been contemplating a cam or exhaust work to get more revs out of this bike because it hits a wall pretty hard when you try to wind it out. When I say it hits a wall...it just literally won't turn any faster and always acts like it's loaded up with fuel for a few moments afterwards. Turns out the '98+ CDI's are limited to around 8k rpm whereas the early boxes will take you to 9500!

I'm curious, but not entirely convinced. This thing doesn't feel at all like it's bouncing off a typical rev limiter. It just goes flat. Butmaybe it's just the nature of this system? I dunno, but it's something to explore.
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-27-2019, 04:17 PM   #460
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict
JamesHambleton's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:06 PM
Flip Offs: 9
Flipped Off 8 Times in 5 Posts
JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
I'm curious, but not entirely convinced. This thing doesn't feel at all like it's bouncing off a typical rev limiter. It just goes flat. Butmaybe it's just the nature of this system? I dunno, but it's something to explore.
My Jap cb400sf also did this, it was speed restricted and would IIRC cut only one of the coils out instead of the whole thing, unless on a single it would only fire every 2nd turn instead of every first ?
JamesHambleton is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis