Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build! - Page 21 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-02-2019, 02:51 AM   #201
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:04 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build!

I'm glad to the see Kohler bike pop back up! Good luck getting after it, man.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-02-2019, 04:53 AM   #202
Mattson
Stressed Member
CF Pimp
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:04 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Just gonna drop this here...

Benelli Tornado TRE Novecento 2006
EX: Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA 2002 Fighter
My homebrew blog thread thingy: Oddball Brewery
Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-02-2019, 07:05 AM   #203
Fight Everything
Rollin hard in Wiscompton

CF Pimp
Fight Everything's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:04 AM
Flip Offs: 55
Flipped Off 45 Times in 35 Posts
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Details???????
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-02-2019, 07:17 AM   #204
Mattson
Stressed Member
CF Pimp
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:04 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Winha Automatic, custom built motorcycle for the Finnish army in the seventies. Story goes the Kohler engine can be unbolted and fitted more or less as is to a waiting snowmobile chassis. Guys who have ridden these say it's a pig to take through rough terrain because of the variator but once you get the hang of the throttle it's within manageable. Never sold to civilians though a few yellow and a few white ones occasionally do pop up at auctions etc.

Edit: it in fact was sold to civilians but only 20 civ models ever left the factory til they went belly up. It was cheap compared to rivals as it was registered as working machinery instead of motorcycle due to it having a mechanical power coupler so it could spin sth like a tablesaw etc.

Benelli Tornado TRE Novecento 2006
EX: Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA 2002 Fighter
My homebrew blog thread thingy: Oddball Brewery
Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-07-2019, 12:18 AM   #205
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Hey man, I ran across this video last night and thought it may be of some help to you. I don't remember if you mentioned buying or using a centrifugal clutch, but this guy rigged up a very simple belt drive that's basically just a slip clutch. Seems to work very well, and according to some of his other builds and remarks, he has much better luck with this style of drive vs a cent. clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTcLCTdgbN0
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-13-2019, 10:52 PM   #206
Fight Everything

CF Pimp
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

You know, that's not a half bad idea, especially for the original premise of this build. It's stupid simple, it's worked for a hundred years on farm and small engine equipment.....

I'd have to set it up for a foot clutch with a locking mechanism, make it a permanently engaged setup as opposed to a normally released setup. I'm thinking dual 5x8 belts, have to figure out the gearing though. Not that it's hard to find pulleys either. Hmmm.....I'm liking this
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Fight Everything!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-14-2019, 12:19 AM   #207
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

I think you're on the hunt with the normally engaged idea. I poked around his channel and he builds some very fun looking bikes.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #208
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

This is more than doable. The crnak on the Kohler has decent length to it, not a big deal to double stack pulleys. I just gotta figure out the necessary ratios, plus the sprocket ratios for the jackshaft too. I'd love to see a top speed of 50, need that shit around Milwaukee lol
These people High Fived Fight Everything!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-17-2019, 12:21 AM   #209
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Ok, doing some maths here to figure out what pulleys I'll need to make this work.

EN450 back wheel is running a 140/90-15 tire, which should come to 24.92" tall
To do 60mph that would require the wheel to reach 809RPM.

The Kohler is rated somewhere around 750-800rpm up to 3800rpm (in stock form).

If I run pulleys at a 2:1 ratio, and use the stock EX500 gearing (16/42) which equates to a 2.63 ratio, the back wheel would see a max of 723rpm. At 723rpm I'm looking at a max of 54mph. Not quite the 60 I'm hoping for, but ample for running around the city. I can always change out the gearing a little later if I found that there's enough power.

Idle (800rpm) is a lowly 11mph brisk walk. Cooool.

Foot clutch to a linkage to the "clutch" pulley, for solid disengagement (gonna be fun figuring what springs I need to hold proper tension to engage a pair of 5/8 belts lol).

I am for SURE gonna be using those aircraft pedals on this thing.....
These people High Fived Fight Everything!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-18-2019, 11:14 PM   #210
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Not much of an update per se, but was in the shop a few times today working on customer cars and then the wifes car, and I'm starting to think I might I might try to actually do something with my YouTube channel. Not really shit on there right now, only actual how to was showing how to pop the driveshaft out of a differential on a shafty bike and the install for the throttle body kit I made for Mazda 2.5 swaps.

But I've got the rat to build, the Madura to fix, building a riding mower into a rat rod truckster, I go for random junkyard romps, fuck why not?

Gonna have to get a GoPro or something then, right now all my recording is done via phone....
This user High Fived Fight Everything!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes