Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build! - Page 4 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #31
Fight Everything
Rollin hard in Wiscompton

CF Pimp
Fight Everything's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:42 AM
Flip Offs: 55
Flipped Off 45 Times in 35 Posts
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build!

Is this boring yet? Hope not.

Making a change in the driveline, making it easier to keep the motor mounted how I want it, while also making the aesthetics a bit smoother. I realize that smoother looks is relative for a bike being powered by a tractor engine....

Ok, so I'm saying fuckit to the gearbox, torque converter, and chain drive. I'm gonna run a Noram 1800 centrifugal clutch with dual belts, and switching to shaft drive. This way I can keep everything inline, I can hang a shroud over the belts, and the bike has less visually moving parts.

If I don't like the engagement of the centrifugal, doesn't run the bike how I want at lower speeds, then I may switch out to a torque converter later. Not a big deal to leave myself some extra room to make the change later.

Shaft drive gives me a 3.18:1 rear gearing. With a 1:1 pulley ratio at 3800 rpm I'd be flying at 90. I suspect I'm gonna dial back to a 5.07inch pulley on the drive shaft with the 4 inch option on the clutch. This would take me down to 3000rpm output rpm, or down to about 70mph max. Plenty of speed for this thing, less work on the motor.

Picking up motor tomorrow, and hopefully the girder on Monday. Pics soon!
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-30-2017, 06:28 PM   #32
Fight Everything

CF Pimp
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quick and dirty. Set the Kohler down to see how it'll look. I need to cut off all the unnecessary tabs and mounts, and then weld in a piece of plate. Once I have the mount holes marked and drilled, I'll put support bars under it as well.

The Kohler takes more space than I thought it would, but that's ok. At 88 pounds the Kohler is still lighter than most bike motors I think. Gonna work on minimizing the frame this week. Also still hoping to pick up the girder tomorrow.
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Fight Everything!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #33
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:42 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

An xr400 or xl350 engine weighs right at 85 lbs...with a self contained gearbox...and 30'ish hp.

But that Kohler is unique and looks cool as fuck. I dig it.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-31-2017, 12:34 AM   #34
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
An xr400 or xl350 engine weighs right at 85 lbs...with a self contained gearbox...and 30'ish hp.

But that Kohler is unique and looks cool as fuck. I dig it.

I can see those motors being equally light, or maybe even the smaller CB series as well. I just remember hefting my V45 motor, a 750 Shadow engine, and remembering those were a damn bit heavier. I can't imagine a Harley twin, inline triples/4s are any lighter either lol.

One of my goals with this is as lightweight as possible (though that will be offset by the fuel capacity), minimal hp (for a bike), and still capable of highway speeds (on the absolute top end. It's primarily gonna be for in town or county roads).

The engine weighs 88lbs. I'm not sure if they spec that empty or ready to run. Not that the quart or two of oil makes much difference.

I wanna run the Harley FatBob tanks so that I can run the speedo and all controls on the center panel. Fatbob tanks hold 5 gallons, plus the weight of the tanks, which if I'm to go off the tanks I used to have laying around, is somewhere in the range of 10lbs each side.

The Kohler runs a fuel pump, since the tractors it was used in ran tanks under the seat. I'm not gonna pull the pump or cap it off, instead I'll run a "reserve" tank in front of the back wheel. Should be good for another gallon, maybe two depending on how much space it ends up filling up. That tank too shouldn't be more than 5 lbs.

So as much as 7 gallons fuel, as much as 25lbs of fuel tank (and I'm severly overestimating here for the sake of weight estimates). We're looking at 69ish lbs. Plus engine at 88, we're at 157 or so.

What does anyone figure the average mag wheels weigh?

I'm going to run shaft drive, the rear dif is probably 20lbs. Rest of the swingarm is another 15ish? 35lbs. Rear drum brake assembly prolly another 15. 50lbs? 200lbs in running gear, plus wheels and frame.

My numbers are probably hella far off lol. I guess I'd like to see this bike come in at or under 350lbs wet. What do we think? Possible?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-31-2017, 08:22 AM   #35
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

CK 187's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 631
Flipped Off 470 Times in 171 Posts
CK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Done yet?
CK 187 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived CK 187!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-31-2017, 07:14 PM   #36
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Gas is around 6.25 lbs to a gallon. With 7 gallons you are looking at 43.75 lbs of fuel. I might be tempted to run about half that much fuel. JMO.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-31-2017, 10:44 PM   #37
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Gas is around 6.25 lbs to a gallon. With 7 gallons you are looking at 43.75 lbs of fuel. I might be tempted to run about half that much fuel. JMO.
I got my numbers from a google search. Your numbers are only about 3/4 lb off the total I came up with. Either way is close enough for these estimates

I need to bring a table home soon so I can start the frame work. I have zero desire to be doing anything on the ground anymore. My machinist told me a good source for metal drops, I'm gonna run there and see what I can get for a piece of plate.

I gotta spend Saturday fixing a customers new riding mower, that outta give me some cash to throw at the bike.

I'm already planning out the electronics on the bike. On one hand, I can very easily run the entire bike off a modified version of the Cub Cadet wiring harness that came with the engine, plus a couple relays and extra circuits (bigger headlight, horn, high beam, etc).
But I also like how the M-Gadget setup looks. What I don't like is the MGadget pricing. Are there any lower cost alternatives? Or is the only locost alt making my own panel?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-01-2017, 12:23 AM   #38
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 111 Times in 48 Posts
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight Everything View Post
I wanna run the Harley FatBob tanks so that I can run the speedo and all controls on the center panel. Fatbob tanks hold 5 gallons, plus the weight of the tanks, which if I'm to go off the tanks I used to have laying around, is somewhere in the range of 10lbs each side.

Or is the only locost alt making my own panel?

Want those horror show purple tanks back? Never used them, they take up space and are about to go in for scrap. Pretty much done with this whole "maybe I'll use it someday" bullshit.

Ebay, just go on ebay and do a quick search, the Asians have cornered the market on cheap gauges to a point that $40 buys knock off versions of the top of the line stuff from 5 years ago. Got a 11,000rpm tach for my stunt bike for $48 shipped, I'll find out just how accurate it is sometime after tomorrow when I wire it in though. Can't imagine you can screw one of those up too badly, and for as cheap as every gauge is on ebay, it's not like you are getting ripped off knowing you paid a fraction of what the high end ones are worth.

Why not just use a marine grade GPS Speedometer? Would get rid of a boat load of the complication of wiring anything into the bike.

Good luck with the top speed... 8hp in a XR100 does pretty decent, so if you've got the gearing, you've likely got the ability to get going pretty quick on a 13hp bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived RatFighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-01-2017, 12:24 AM   #39
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 111 Times in 48 Posts
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

By the way....

Is it done yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived RatFighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-01-2017, 12:51 AM   #40
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFighter View Post
Want those horror show purple tanks back? Never used them, they take up space and are about to go in for scrap. Pretty much done with this whole "maybe I'll use it someday" bullshit.
You still have them?????

I should clarify on the motogadget. I meant the mhub or whatever is called, not the Speedo. Ill be using the matching Speedo and Speedo drive with the kz750 front wheel. I was just contemplating a nicer wiring setup.

I'd absolutely grab those purple tanks back, for mockup if nothing else.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes